Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog, Gray, is 13 months. Since the day we brought him home, he has slept in his crate at night and has done very well with that. We had a few months around 6 months where he was getting up super early (4:30 or so) but once we got past that, he sleeps from 10-7 in there with no issues whatsoever. However, when summer hit, he started panting SO much in his crate at night despite the fact that we keep the air on at 72 overnight, run our ceiling fan and blow a fan in his crate. I feel so bad for him, as I know he likely can't get cool. When I lay on the floor next to his crate and by the fan, I am COLD, but then again, I am missing the fur coat he has on. :) For the last few nights, we have let him sleep outside his crate in our room. He spends most of the night either on the cool master bathroom floor or on the floor of our room.We have chosen not to have him sleep in our bed, which seems to be fine with him, as I think he gets too hot up there with us even when he jumps up for a few cuddles, as he only wants to stay a few minutes. We still hear him panting a bit, but not as much as when he was in his crate. My main concern is for his comfort, but I also wonder if we will ever regret letting him "forget" how to sleep in his kennel. If we need to be gone overnight and have our parents watch him, will he be ok out of a crate at their house? I figure having a dog accustomed to sleeping in a crate makes those situations easier for the dog, and the person watching your dog? Also, he has been getting up earlier in the morning and whining at the door, which he never did in his crate... he would just hang out in there until we got up. Do any of those with adult dogs have feedback on whether they crate their dog at night and whether you regret letting them do so or whether it has been a positive thing overall? (Any tips on keeping a hot dog cool would be wonderful too! :) Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Both our dogs are crated overnight and both prefer it that way. We have Kuranda beds in both crates as well. It’s their safe space and is entirely theirs. Both know which crate is theirs and don’t hesitate when we say “kennel up”.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Our dogs were not in crates at night after a few months old. They sleep in the bedroom and have different sleeping locations depending on the temperature. Our golden Hazel will start sleeping in the tile shower during the summer, but usually moves to her bed at some point during the night.

Both dogs still have crates in the main floor of the house and the car. They do not hesitate to get in these when asked.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
We left the crate in our bedroom but left the door open when Rukie was around 6 months old. He is not one who gets into or eats stuff he shouldn't so it was fine. He moves around from the bathroom tile, his crate, or our bed during the night. We also put a chill mat on one side of his crate which he likes.

Reactions: Katt

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,808 Posts
My boy is 11 now, when I adopted him at age 2, I never had to crate him because he could be trusted in the house-no accidents and he never got into anything or tore anything up.

He sleeps in my room, I have a bed for him-he has always been welcomed in my bed but would get hot and only stay a very short time. He prefers to sleep on the floor and during the summer months, when it's really hot, he'll sleep on the bathroom tile floor or in the shower.

If you're comfortable not crating your boy at night so he can be cooler, there's nothing wrong with not crating him.

I know when my guys have been hot at night, they were uncomfortable-panting, which usually kept me awake.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Our plan was to only crate while Bonnie was a puppy but I think it’s here to stay. She determines bed time every night 9:30pm she goes down to her crate and falls asleep. We might be able to start keeping the crate door open soon but she loves that thing.
I think it’s personal preference and what works for you and your specific dog. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Similar. We have one crate in bedroom for two dogs. We leave the door open and usually one sleeps in it at some time during the night. In the summer, they usually sleep on the tile bathroom floor. We run a floor fan for a bit before bed and they usually jockey for the closest position to it. I do recommend keeping your bedroom door closed so they don't get into trouble at night. We always get up with an alarm, so if the younger one tries to get up before the alarm, she gets told to go lay down. If she doesn't, she gets put in crate with the door closed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have recently let my 2 year old out at night. She just seemed squished in her crate even though it is a proper size. She also seemed warmer in her crate as well. I did try this two other times when she was younger. She would pace at night and not know where to settle down. This last time I put a gate up in the hall. That way she can't roam the house at night. She does come to the side of the bed a couple times per night and as cute as it is to not interact with her I do firmly tell her to go lay down, which she will. She also seems to wake at 5 each morning and I again tell her to go lay down. My husband tends to say oh hi and talk to her and wake her more or encourage the behavior. It's hard to tell who I'm training here. lol I do also have a Beagle who tends to get into trouble when out. So trial and error we keep the Beagle in her crate at night and let the Golden out. When I leave during the at times I do put them both in their crates with the door shut. That way she is still used to being in her kennel. I do admit I do this mostly for the Beagle because she is very much a looking for some type of food all the time. If I did just have my Golden I would not use the crate. Go with your gutt, if your dog doesn't get into trouble it's fine. Tips for keep them cool, we run our ac more than I care to, but I also brush on a daily basis. It helps keep the shedding down and excess fur under control which tends to make them hotter.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My almost 2 yo started sleeping out of her kennel/free roam around 10 months. My 7 month old...I think she would be okay but she’s a wanderer. She can sleep 7 spots in the living room in one night if I stay on the couch. We stayed in a hotel over the weekend and I chose to not bring the kennel in because it was late and she took forever to settle and her idea of sleep was on top of me lol. I had to move her six times. The other one...woke up to her asleep on the pillow next to me two inches from my face 🤣 And that one doesn’t normally sleep in bed at home...always on her dog bed in a bedroom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
4 month old goes in around 10 I open it up around 7AM but she just yawns and stretches until around 7:30 when she comes over for belly rubs. The during the day she heads back in for power naps on her own. It’s in the family room where she hangs out away from the kitties.

·
Kristy
9,401 Posts
I am one who always crates our dogs in our room at night. Pretty much all their lives. The thing I have discovered is that if a dog is sick in the middle of the night, I'd rather be awoken with them rattling the crate at 2 a.m. so I can hustle them outdoors or clean the crate bedding rather than discovering a mess all over the living room carpet when I awaken the next morning or step in it on my way to the bathroom in the dark. We keep our upstairs A/C set cooler at night and have a ceiling fan on. You might consider a cooling mat (search on amazon) or putting his crate under an A/C vent?

I am a fan of crating for the very reasons you mentioned, keeping up the habit so they can be crated for their own safety as needed or to travel go visit family etc. Dogs are smart, I suspect that if you let him sleep where he wants in your room or bathroom for two months out of the summer and then crate him again during fall winter and spring he will adjust to this easily, especially if you continue to put treats in his crate and make it welcoming.

·
Kristy
9,401 Posts
Noting the crate is right next to the A/C vent is genius in summer. You may need to close that vent or move the crate in winter when the heat comes on.

4 month old goes in around 10 I open it up around 7AM but she just yawns and stretches until around 7:30 when she comes over for belly rubs. The during the day she heads back in for power naps on her own. It’s in the family room where she hangs out away from the kitties.

View attachment 874498

·
Registered
770 Posts
To add...my oldest still goes in her kennel sometimes. If you say, “In your kennel...” she goes in her kennel. If you tell my 7 month old in your kennel...she stares at you like you have 15 heads and we are 100% still using treats every night to go in her kennel. Only in the last month have I caught her briefly sleeping in it during the day. And if you acknowledge her, she stares at you like, “How the heck did I get in here? I really didn’t mean for you to see me.” 😂

·
Registered
226 Posts
No. My dogs are usually only crated at shows, waiting their turn for training, or riding in a vehicle. I introduce a crate when they're puppies, but they only spend enough time in it to be accustomed to a crate for showing, training, and traveling. I might resort to a crate if there was a serious behavioral issues I couldn't address any other way. For a civilized, adult dog that knows the rules of the house, I don't think a crate at home is necessary under normal circumstances.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts