Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is in the right section. I got so extremely upset at a friend last night I just had to leave the convo because I just didnt understand it.

I asked him when he would euthanise a dog. Like what would warrent this. He said he didnt believe in euthanasia.

I was like O.O and asked him to explain further

He said he will end suffering but not cause death. I gave him a situation were someones dog was hit by a car, its spine was sticking out of its back and broken in two. These people euthanised the dog on the spot because no vet could come out to alleviate the pain and the dog was suffering. He said in this situation he would dose the dog with painkillers, lets its spine mend and even if its paralized its still alive and can still live its life.

He said that a dog living on high doses of painkillers, doped up so much all it can do is sleep all day is better then being dead. Dogs cannot wish they were dead and they are more then happy to lay in bed all day with their master. He said if the pain is so much he would up the dose and if the dog died from the over dose then that was the meds causing death not him.

He said he can end suffering (pain) but not cause death as that has to come naturally. He will not take a dog to the vet for euthanasia, its either die on its own or not at all..

Am I over reacting to think this is a bit extreme? I got so offended and upset I just logged off because I just could grasp this opinion at all. God gave us the power to end all suffering in out animals and hes saying this is wrong because dogs do not think death.

Does anyone else follow this and what are your opinions on this maybe someone else can explain things better to me.

ETA- The reason why I was so touchy with this was I helped my friend make the decision to put *our* dog down at 6 years old. This dogs had such severe arthritis from an accident earlier in life it was on high doses of a few meds to control the pain. Without these meds she couldnt walk at all. With the meds she gained some mobility. Her liver and kidneys were almost dead from these medications. She stepped in a gopher hole breaking her leg and thats when we decided to put her down. She wasnt happy. According to this friend we should of got her leg casted, let it heal and dose her on higher doses of pain medication to manage the pain. Let nature takes it course and not cause death. I was like WTH...

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Though it was the hardest thing I've ever done, choosing to euthanize Sophie was the best thing for HER. I think a lot of times, we are able to make more humane choices for our animals than for our people.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hopefully this is in the right section. I got so extremely upset at a friend last night I just had to leave the convo because I just didnt understand it.

I asked him when he would euthanise a dog. Like what would warrent this. He said he didnt believe in euthanasia.

I was like O.O and asked him to explain further

He said he will end suffering but not cause death. I gave him a situation were someones dog was hit by a car, its spine was sticking out of its back and broken in two. These people euthanised the dog on the spot because no vet could come out to alleviate the pain and the dog was suffering. He said in this situation he would dose the dog with painkillers, lets its spine mend and even if its paralized its still alive and can still live its life.

He said that a dog living on high doses of painkillers, doped up so much all it can do is sleep all day is better then being dead. Dogs cannot wish they were dead and they are more then happy to lay in bed all day with their master. He said if the pain is so much he would up the dose and if the dog died from the over dose then that was the meds causing death not him.

He said he can end suffering (pain) but not cause death as that has to come naturally. He will not take a dog to the vet for euthanasia, its either die on its own or not at all..

Am I over reacting to think this is a bit extreme? I got so offended and upset I just logged off because I just could grasp this opinion at all. God gave us the power to end all suffering in out animals and hes saying this is wrong because dogs do not think death.

Does anyone else follow this and what are your opinions on this maybe someone else can explain things better to me.
Your friend has a VERY odd outlook on this. I can somewhat relate to what he is thinking but I personally think if the dog is in so much pain that it has to be high as a kite to stay alive that it is time to put them down.

It's never an easy thing to do, honestly it sucks. I have been through two of our Golden's having to be put down at the age of 14. They just couldn't walk or make it up the stairs anymore. They had an amazing life and we choose to put them down. I was young but still remember it.

I am 28 now and have two amazing dogs and do my parents. Mine are still pups but my parents golden is turning 12 this year and I know she only has 2-4 more years left in her. When that day comes and I believe she will be better off in heaven than in pain here I will support putting her down. Will I like it? No Will I cry like a baby for a month.. yes. It's that cycle of life and all I want is the best for my animals and if that means to let them go quietly and peacefully then that's what I will do.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think what we dont agree with is what calls for suffering and quality of life. To me suffering is more then just pain. Suffering is like my cat growing up. This cat was 14 years old, had no teeth, had UTI's all the time and nothing would cure them, was SOOOOO skinny he could barely stand up. We tried to help him but he was just dying on us. We chose to put him down. This was my first life lesson. Suffering to me is more then just being in pain. I believe and animal can be suffering and not be in pain at all.

I just dont get it. Im not talking about euthanizing a dog for just being old and sleeping all day. I am talking about a dog who the ONLY reason why its alive is pain meds so great its just barely alive sleeping all day not able to even able to walk around..

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
YES, I DO ,YOU CANNOT LET THEM SUFFER,IF THEY ARE NOT GOING TO RECOVER,AND HAVE A GOOD ,FUN, LIFE, WE HAVE DONE IT THREE TIMES, AND WILL DO AGAIN, i love my dogs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I believe in euthanasia when there ceases to be quality to life due to illness or injury. In the example you and your friend used, sure the dog can live doped up on pain killers and paralyzed. But doesn't that go against the very nature of a dog? What kind of life is that for an animal, if it doesn't even know what's happening around it, and if it does not be able to be a part of it? If you ask me, that's not living.

I have a 16 year old mixed breed named Hershey. Right now she's deaf and her sight is not as good as it used to be, but she's otherwise healthy and happy and is still able to do all the things she could when she was a puppy. If and when the time comes when she loses the quality to her life, as much as it would kill me to do it, I would make the decision to euthanize her.

In certain cases, and certainly in your example, euthanasia is the more humane thing to do. To keep an animal alive when it has no quality to life is selfish.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I only had one dog die natually at home. It was my 14 year old Irish Setter- who had an enlarged heart. He died of a heart attack after being out in the yard. He died in his bed:(. It was very fast..... all my other dogs I called a mobil vet to come to the house and humanly put them down. I only did it when the dog let me know it was time- you see it in their eyes..... you just know. I think it is the kindest thing a pet owner can do after everything possible has been done and the quality of life of the pet is gone.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is using this for any scenario tho.

If the dog can live on pain killers and other medications to keep it from "suffering" even if its only able to sleep all day cause its so doped up thats better then being dead in his opinion. I dont agree with that. I have nothing against keeping an old dog alive on some meds if they are able to still enjoy life. My Ruby is 10, and shes happy and healthy. She does have issues but you would never know. If one day I woke up and she couldnt use her back legs and I tried some things at the vet and surgery isnt an option at that age, I would try a wheel chair. If she never adjusted to it and wasnt happy or enjoying life why keep her alive for my own self?

If the dog is doped up on meds he sleeps 23 hours of the day and that 1 hour is for pee breaks he needs constant help with thats not quality of life IMO. But to him being alive is quality of life...aslong as the animal isnt in pain (which he would treat with meds)

Ugh this is so straining

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's crazy. That is an awful life to be so out of it and doped up that you arn't even living life... it's basically like being in a coma. My bf's co-working had to put down his 7 y/o retriever two days ago because she had cancer. Vet gave her 1-2 weeks to live but said she would be in lots of pain if they let her die natually. That is cruel and inhumane IMO. :no:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think it depends on the situation. A lot of the scenarios in which vets recommend euthanasia are, in my personal opinion, not really appropriate, or at least not what I would do. My childhood dog was suffering from cancer and the vet talked about putting him down, but my parents declined and he was able to live another week or two and die in his home surrounded by family. Letting him pass on his own was clearly the right call there, and, let's face it, if dogs could understand the situation, I think it's fairly obvious that they'd say "Don't kill me.". In that case, he sort of picked out a spot in the yard where he wanted to pass away and kept going back to it, and my father buried him there after he passed away. The dog needed to be carried up and down stairs and to the outside toward the very end, and was clearly suffering, but I think pain killers were administered, and that it was handled correctly.

I mean, sure, he might have suffered less had he been euthanized, but he would have died in an unfamiliar environment with a lot of unfamiliar people around instead of at home with his family. And, really, one never knows, there's always that one in a million chance that a seemingly terminal case winds up turning around at the last minute and the dog might have a few extra months or years.

Having said all that, I'm not an absolutist on this. With the example someone gave of the spine sticking out of the dog's body after an accident and the dog becoming a quadriplegic, euthanasia might have been the best way to go. I think a lot depends on the situation, and, to be honest, the owner's preferences.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's comparable to life support for a loved one. If they can be kept alive on a machine but that's their entire life is laying in a bed on a machine what kind of life is that?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I would never want any of my pets to suffer at all. It's the quality of life that we have to consider, not how long they have. And to say that it's "killing them" is wrong, IMO. It's releasing them from pain and suffering. I feel it's the greatest gift we can give to them.

Ultimately, we all have to decide what is best for our own and what we're comfortable with. And I wholeheartedly agree with what AlanK posted..."I wish it would be ok when my time comes".

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would never want any of my pets to suffer at all.
In a sense, though, almost all pets suffer every day. Many dogs experience a lot of disappointment and frustration when their owners leave them alone for a couple hours, or when their owner is eating good food and the dogs are stuck with dog food, and so on and so forth. Dogs would probably be happier if they could spend hours upon hours every day going on giant walks without leashes and chasing down fresh game. Allergies are very common in goldens. And so on and so forth.

And I think most people suffer daily. Some a lot more than others. There is a lot of poverty in the world, a lot of people without friends or spouses or whatever, and even some people who don't have enough to eat or enough heat in the winter time, and so on and so forth. A lot of people have chronic health issues that cause them pain.

I know the poster I'm replying to was talking about end of life type suffering in particular, but the point I am making is just that no one can be spared all suffering. Life is suffering. So, it's always a question of degree, and that's what makes discussions and euthanasia and such so difficult. When does life become not worth living? And who makes that call for animals or people who can no longer decide for themselves? These aren't simple questions with clear-cut answers. A lot of it is very subjective.

·
3 goldens
11,926 Posts
Yes I believe in it. My rist Irish Setter was diagnosed with a spinal infection and was put on antibiotics that didn't appear to work. Ove a period of about 2 weeks we went thru several differnt ones and he got worse and worse, had to be hand fed a feew bits, couldn't get up or walk without help. The morning he threw up and couln'dt lift his head I deiceed there was no hope, I had to let him go. It was so hared, but i did it and I swore I would never let another dog get that bad before doing it.

When my 2d Irish was diagonsoed with bone cancer, I gave her the best 10 weeks of his life. I took him to the beach fishing with me every single day, gave him all kinds of doggie no-no food becaue he loved it. And when we found it had spread from back leg to shoulder, I didn't hesitat3e. I let him go THAT DAY. The day before he had been playing in the water, but I had noted he spent more time resting than playing that day. I could have had a few more days, but he could not have enjoyed the beach time. I have neveer regretted letting him go before he really had to suffer--he wa 12 1/2. He enjoyed life to the last second of his life.

When my gold girl KayCee was found to have that tumor, had surgery and it was so bad he wa surprised she made it thru the surgery. But when I was with her in ICU 48 hours later I knew she was dying. She would eat and she couldn't get up and she was so sick and I could S\see it in her eyes. I decided right then to let her go. It was Sunday and the tech called my vet, but KayCee died as I held her before he arrived.

And I( am with Alan0--it is to bad people can't go that way. When we knew my dad wa die after botched surgery when he was 58, my mom, sister and 3 brothers all agreed no life support. Give him oxygen, keep up the iv and antibiotics, etc, but no "forced living",. My dad was a big hunter & fisherman, very active and he was paralized from neck down. He couldn't even speak and went into a coma. But we all knew Daddy so well we knew what would be right for him. His mom didn't agree. She would have kept alive hooked to 50 machines and tubes going every where.

I say we keep them (dogs" liave for us, we let them go for them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My humble opinion would be that when it is time that is the best gift and decision you can make for a beloved pet....I wish it would be ok when my time comes.
I am in complete agreement with this poster. I believe a peaceful, humane ending is the kindest and final service that we owe to our dogs. We take them on and they are completely dependent on us for their needs throughout their lives. It is only right that we find the courage to take the final caring responsibility for them when the time comes. It is part and parcel of keeping a dog, IMO.
I can't understand people who make their dogs the subject of their own religious beliefs - dogs have no religion and I would not want a dog or any other animal to live on in hopeless pain and suffering (with or without drugs).

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
In a sense, though, almost all pets suffer every day.
I'm not going to get into semantics with you. The suffering you're referring to will also allow total prolonged pleasure in an instant. The suffering I'm referring to might allow pleasure for a moment but it's always tinged with physical pain that can't be helped other than in a totally drugged out existance. Not fair, IMO.

As I said, it's everyone's individual decision to determine when to let their pets go. And I won't let them get to the point where pain meds don't help. I will always believe in "one day too soon is better than one day too late".

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I think that it is a very personal, very subjective decision.
I do believe in euthanasia. But as to when, and what quality of life a dog has, it's hard to determine unless you are living in the situation. It's not up to any of us to judge anyone else for their decisions when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
When you truely love something you do whatever you can to relieve their pain and suffering. I hate that I have had to put down my firends/furkids but I wouldnt want to stay alive and not enjoy life and all that life should be. That is just not right. I know that my animals all knew that I loved more than I loved anything else.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts