Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a birthday party for my brother and before blowing out the candles, Gabby came to investigate and sniffed a candle. I pulled her away right as she got to it, but she burnt a bunch of whiskers off and the ends curled up. I put a wet rag on it for a bit but I think she was more scared then hurt, just from me yelling and yanking her back so fast.

Note to self, don't set cake full of burning candles where the dogs can sniff them :doh:

Anyone else ever have a dog get too close to a candle(s)?

·
16,000 Posts
They definitely grow back :) And yeah, the older I get, the less likely I am to remove them (except for the Crested, whose face gets shaved anyway!)
Honestly, I wish it would be prohibited to do so, because then I wouldn't. But, I prefer the way they look without when in the ring, so until the Whisker Police tell me "STOP! In the name of the law!" I'm trimming them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We had a birthday party for my brother and before blowing out the candles, Gabby came to investigate and sniffed a candle. I pulled her away right as she got to it, but she burnt a bunch of whiskers off and the ends curled up. I put a wet rag on it for a bit but I think she was more scared then hurt, just from me yelling and yanking her back so fast.

Note to self, don't set cake full of burning candles where the dogs can sniff them :doh:

Yup, whiskers grow back. Note to self; be VERY careful when lighting the BBQ!:doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Sierra's was trimmed when we got her, I have since let them grow back because of lack of knowledge.
If I were to trim them, what would I use?
Sorry I'm really a novice about this type of thing.
She's much nicer to snuggle without them.
Karen

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Gosh, I hope she got her wish :crossfing

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
There's no need to trim them- unless you either show the dog or just like them better without them. But if you want to leave them, by all means do! :)

I just think they're prickly and not attractive, so I trim 'em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts