Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my beautiful golden retriever from Redog Golden Retrievers in Boulder, CO from a Becky Hayes.

Last year at 3yrs old Kadies health started declining, it began with her eyes becoming extremely foggy out of no where. The vet assumed allergies so she was put on antibiotics and the symptoms went away. About a month or two later is when her appetite started declining, she had lost almost 25lbs at one point. It wasnt until about the third month that her white/red blood count started changing drastically. Many vet's, months, and opinions later, Kadie was diagnosed with Lymphnosarcoma. It took 5months to get a clear diagnosis, which was August 2016.

She began chemo treatments on and off in August, depending if her blood count was stable enough to do treatment that week. And she was put on prendisone full time, which was the greatest thing to get her to start eating again! She gained all of her weight back plus more :) In December, her hair started to fall off in large chunks starting at her tail. She lost almost all of her hair on her tail, luckily though her body hair wasn't shedding at such a fast rate as her tail.

In January, while picking up poop i noticed bloody diarrhea stools which the vet said was a natural reaction from her chemotherapy. The bloody stools stopped after a few days. Fast forward to last week tuesday, the vet put her on a new chemo drug. By the weekend, there were POOLS of blood in the yard. I immediately took her to the vet, they ran bloodwork and said it was extremely low and they would watch her over the next few days.

Yesterday morning, I found my dog Kadie lying in the grass at 6am unresponsive. She passed away at 4years old from cancer, I am fully aware of how predisposed goldens are to this disease, but at such an early age and all of the many other health defects I am convinced Kadie is the result of over breeding.

Becky Hayes REFUSES to return any of my phone calls or emails from the past 6 months. I have read many other reviewers who claim she will not return their calls either. She is not aware of the welfare of her dogs and that is frightening for anyone who plans to buy from her. SHE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE SO NO MORE "PUPPIES" ARE BORN WITH CARELESS LIFE ENDING DISEASES

Attachments

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
So sorry. Unfortuantly lymphoma strikes Goldens at this age. Very sorry the breeder won't return your calls. She was a beautiful baby.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
What a tragic story. I think that you do have a way of making sure your loss is known to others besides this forum- put your girls pedigree on k9data (I or someone else here will do it for you if you post her reg#, parents' names, DOB) and then put in her COD and DOD.

I'm very sorry-

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. It is hard to lose them at any time but especially at such a young age and to such a horrible illness.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. I think it's very unfortunate you feel abandoned by your breeder. Do you know if she has changed her number or email address? Sometimes this can be a simple misunderstanding.

I do feel for you and can empathize with your heartbreak. It's especially terrible when our beloved goldens die young, as they are unfortunately prone to hereditary conditions despite even the best intentions of a reputable breeder. A breeder can try their best but still unfortunately breed puppies with health issues. I have been there as a breeder and as a puppy buyer, so I understand the heartache from both sides.

·
Registered
463 Posts
So sorry to hear about your beautiful dog cut down at such a young age. Prayers sent your way for Kadies, may she rest in peace. I hope you feel better soon.

R.I.P. Kadies

Cancer is so hard on the Goldens and they average age span is not acceptable in my small meaningless opinion. Something is not right in Golden world. I hope we get some more answers soon that will help build a better, healthier breeding platform.

dlm ny country

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful girl and her story is so heartbreaking! We all know to well what it is like. I hope time brings your family some relief.

·
Registered
18,124 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So sorry for your loss of beautiful Kadie. A Google search list of Red Dog goldens in Boulder CO returns a breeder website which appears to still be up and running. THIS breeder appears to be active in the show ring and list's a Gold Rush to Gold Rush stud dog named "Duke" on her website under the boys tab. THIS breeder also names "Pinkie" under the girls tab (as her foundation dog) and a Westminster "Best in Breed" winner. Is this the breeder of Kadie?

·
Obedience Goldens
129 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.. She was a beautiful girl

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. Kadie was a beautiful girl.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I am so very sprry about the loss of such a young dog. I do not know Becky in person, but truly respect her program. Was she outgoing and gregarious when you selected your puppy? When we have a terrible loss, we need soeone to take responsibility. I lost a young dog too, and he had many problems. I harbor resentment in my heart even though I am not sure it is fair with my mind. It may be that the breeder heard you loud and clear, and is grieving? Is shy? dont know. I do know that no good breeder hears of a youg death like this without shedding tears, and perhaps she is not able to share her tears with yours. I am not defending- just complicating. Obviously a breeder needs to step up, be profesional and brave, and be there.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
So true. I have come to realize that the loss of a dog you held and watched grow from newborn to leaving for their new home, guiding and doing early training with, hurts almost as much as losing a dog you took home at 7 or 8 weeks and raised from there. Perhaps just as much since youngsters are still unknowns in terms of hopes and dreams coming true.

This grieving process (for a breeder) is often never recognized and yet we must still reach out through our own pain to try to help the owner.

I am so very sorry for your loss, and not trying to make light of your feelings, and agree that your breeder should try to help you all she can, in spite of the pain she too may be experiencing.

I am so very sprry about the loss of such a young dog. I do not know Becky in person, but truly respect her program. Was she outgoing and gregarious when you selected your puppy? When we have a terrible loss, we need soeone to take responsibility. I lost a young dog too, and he had many problems. I harbor resentment in my heart even though I am not sure it is fair with my mind. It may be that the breeder heard you loud and clear, and is grieving? Is shy? dont know. I do know that no good breeder hears of a youg death like this without shedding tears, and perhaps she is not able to share her tears with yours. I am not defending- just complicating. Obviously a breeder needs to step up, be profesional and brave, and be there.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, my girl was 4 when I lost her and was crushed. When I went to post the loss on k9data I realized her sire had died from the same thing just a couple of years earlier. My initial reaction was pure anger... why didn't someone inform me!? I kept thinking of things I could have done different, precautions I might have done, 2nd opinions I could have done a year earlier when my gut told me there was a problem but the lab work didn't show it.

I contacted the breeders of both sire & dam and funny how the anger went away while we were talking. It was heartbreaking but having someone to share the loss really helped. I'm sorry you and your breeder can't go through this together but maybe you can find some support from the forum. There are so many here that have felt your pain. I treasure every moment & memory in the 3 yrs my girl was with me.

I tried something very different for me with the loss of this girl. I immediately started looking for a puppy. As fate would have it only one breeder responded and her pups were born on the day I lost my girl. I really expected this process to take time so I could grieve but went with it anyway. This new girl is VERY different in every way, at first I was disappointed but she has turned out to be exactly what my heart needed. This silly puppy put a smile back in my heart.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss and hope you find peace soon.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Things do go wrong sometimes. And while I can't think of any reason for no communication, perhaps she fears you will blame her. That is sooooo hard. For anyone who raises a litter truly does love every puppy completely and totally. Sometimes we lose touch and never know 'the end of the story' that hopefully takes many years to say the end to, but when it is an early death, it is devastating. A puppy I adored and sold to fabulous people ate a mushroom and died on the way to the ER- I am still hurting about that puppy and it's been several years. I know that they also are hurting. But we don't talk about him.
No one can promise there won't be any cancer in the future, and no one can guarantee an early cancer won't hit... I'd guess though that anger coming would make it really hard to answer on the phone.

·
Kate
21,874 Posts
I don't know who this breeder is and without going hunting on K9Data, have no idea what lines she breeds.... and not seeing her side of the story, we don't know what she's doing or how she's handling this issue.

Just touching base a little bit though... I know of 2-3 breeders who all bred and cobred the same lines who got hit pretty hard when they had certain "young cancers" showing up. It's devastating to the puppy owners... and devastating to the breeders themselves.

What they are doing is going out and bring new stuff into what they breed... and doing a lot of other stuff to really produce healthier dogs long run. With these people though, they had multiple cases showing up in their lines.

I don't know if it was specifically careless breeding... keep in mind that these dogs did not have high COI's behind them. But they were definitely line bred.

I think when you have isolated cases - it's unknown how to handle? Particularly since we don't know what all caused the cancer in that specific dog, and nowhere else in the pedigree.

Along that line - I do have my younger guy in the GRLS. It's something I don't 100% agree with all the time (so much focus on behavior and temperament, for example - not enough on health!)... but I'm sure they are gathering information along the way to hopefully draw lines to tick borne diseases, vaccines, foods, chemical exposure, etc.. if they exist.

Hope that you get a response from the breeder if not here, then privately.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm so, so sorry to hear this. Your dog was absolutely gorgeous, and lucky to have someone to be by her side as she fought her illness. I hope the breeder gets back to you for support.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.