Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't have one personally because I have lakes and the ocean nearby but I know lots of dogs that love their kiddie swimming pools on hot summer days.

·
Registered
421 Posts
We tried that with Bella last summer, and she wouldn't have it. I saved it so we'll whip it out again this year now that she's a little older.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Kiddie Pool

I think a Kiddie pool is a great idea!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Gosh, we tried with Maddie last summer. It was miserable (hot, hot, hot & humid, humid, humid). She actually preferred to stay in the air conditioning. To be precise, laying on the tile floor, in the kitchen, with the air vent blowing on her tummy. Just like Lillie always did.

We usually had her out in the evenings when it wasn't as oppressive.

I'll try again this year, but I have a feeling that with her super thick coat, she's not going to like summer much this year either.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
We don't have a kiddie pool. The last one we had, the boys ate.

We try to take them swimming out to the lake as much as we can.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
we live on a river..which the dogs usually don't go to unless we go, although they have free access.
on those few REALLY HOT days we get in PNW, both my old golden (RIP) and current guy have gone there independently & stood in it up to their knees....something my labs have never done.

so YES to the pool!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
We tried that with Bella last summer, and she wouldn't have it. I saved it so we'll whip it out again this year now that she's a little older.
Exact same thing with Bryley. He went in but only to retrieve the toy I threw in there or to eat a floating leaf!
We will try again this summer, too.:dblthumb2

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,587 Posts
My girls are rather spoiled when it comes to water in the warm months. They do however have to watch out for passing motor boats.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Yes, I bought a small pink one for Cookie last summer. She really likes getting muddy, so I used it more as an outdoor bathtub than a pool. But, she did like splashing around in it during the summer.

I think I paid about $5 for it at Toys R Us, so it wasn't a big investment. :)

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Yep, I have a kiddie pool for Toby and he loves to splash in it. I also have a real pool for us, Toby came in with me when he was a pup and loved it. I have to try this summer again to get him into the pool. I mostly swim alone, hubby does not care for the water too much. So, I have a hard time getting Toby into the pool without help. But, hopefully this year, I can take Toby in with me, he loves water.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Yeah, we have a kiddie pool and have it out in the warm months! Though the one I bought this summer blew away in this crazy storm. I just bought the $15 one from walmart. Works great! They love it!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was considering purchasing a kid swimming pool to put on the deck or lawn for those hot summer days.... good idea?
LOL ... Mazlon absolutely loved the kiddy pool I got for her. At one point this last summer, my little nephews insisted on playing in it (don't worry clean water) and Mazlon just didn't know what to do with herself. They were in HER pool. <G> As soon as they got out, she dove straight in with a self satisfied grin on her face. Yup. The kiddy pool was a good idea.

I would recommend, however, that you make sure that it is made up of very thick plastic. Those golden nails can be very destructive especially when they try to dig through the bottom of the pool. <G>

·
Kate
21,678 Posts
My guys are all usually taken swimming in all the nearby lakes and rivers as soon as possible, so that when we set up those little swimming pools, they usually think it's just a big water bowl they are supposed to drink from and dig in. :)

They are great for keeping the dogs cool though.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,656 Posts
No, don't have a pool in my backyard, use to have a kiddie pool several years ago, but not anymore. Now we just go down to the little beach at the end of my road where my dogs can run in the grassy area, roll around in the sand, and swim in the Inter Coastal Waterway.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We have a kiddie pool for Hank but the most he'll do is stand in it bobbing for balls.

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
If I had a yard... I would definitely get one!

I take Tee to swim in the lake as much as possible in the hot weather.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
We have a kiddie pool that we keep filled most of the summer. Brady rarely uses it - once he became an adult, he no longer likes getting wet.
MacKenzie LOVES it.

It also came in handy when MacKenzie was sprayed by a skunk last summer. I was able to clean her up without bringing her into the house.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
We tried it several years ago, the rigid plastic kind. Penny would have nothing to do with it. But she had a ball blowing bubbles in a bucket of water I set out for her. Funniest thing ever!!!

We take her to the State Park for swimming. She's allowed in the water at the boater's beach but not the 'people' beach.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts