Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I am getting a puppy this summer and was wondering as goldens age and get older, do they relax when you do? For instance, if you sit down to watch tv will they do that with you or will they be energetic? I know it depends on how much exercise they get. As my golden reaches her adulthood I would take her on 2 30 minute walks a day and let her run around outside and throw ball in our acre of land that is also on a hill. Do you think this would make her ready to relax when we do? Thank you. I’m preparing for what to expect when I get her haha! Also I’d love to hear what your golden’s energy level is like!

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
This really depends on the dog. FWIW, yes, all of the Goldens I have owned (a total of six) were usually content to relax when we did, assuming they had had enough exercise/stimulation during the course of the day. For my dogs that was usually about an hour's worth of exercise (generally broken up into either three 20 minute games of fetch and agility training, or two games of fetch and a half hour's walk). I've always worked a normal work day, so most days they spent a good part of the day sleeping, so exercising them before and after work was a priority and a necessity. I've had a couple of younger dogs that needed to spend several days a week in daycare to get the exercise they needed. In my experience, dogs generally adjust to the amount of exercise you can give them (with an hour being, in my mind, the minimum to be fair to your dog). Do note however, that "energy level" was one of the criteria I discussed with my breeders when I got my dogs, and I intentionally focused on breeders who were breeding for medium-energy family pets. You do need to go into dog ownership committed to giving your dog what he needs, even if that ends up being more of a time commitment than you had hoped for...

·
Registered
518 Posts
So in a nutshell our golden has needed minimum 2 hours (2 x 1 hour) mainly off lead walk since he was 18 months old. But with that he still needs 2 x 10 minutes of play in the garden. I usually make one of those walks more like 90 minutes.

While we chill out in the evening or having coffee in the morning he will chill out but he will also sometimes, especially in the morning, bring us toys to tug and throw for him. After 8pm he pretty much snoozes and snuggles.

The days he chills out the most is when he gets 1 x 90 minute walk, mainly off lead, with ball throwing or swim retrieving in the sea of river. And a 1 hour group doggy walk with dog Walker where he plays with the other dog.

From my experience 2 x 30 minutes wouldn’t be enough especially if it was mainly on lead. But you might get away with those 2 short walks if you are also tiring him/her out with a vigorous fetch session in your garden at some point during the day. A couple 5 or 10 minute training/playing sessions at some point during the dayA

Golden’s are very intelligent. They make sure you can’t just forget them for hours and hours between walks. We feel lucky that Ted can chill quite a lot but we notice how because he’s intelligent he also still needs mental stimulation from us on and off throughout the day. Eg Practising training or tricks for 5 minutes or playing tug with a toy briefly.

After one of those 90 minute walks he will chill/snooze for up to 3 hours.

·
Registered
518 Posts
FYI Teddy isn’t a field golden he’s a show style golden. He’s now 2 years and 7 months old.
Looking at my last post that might seem like a lot!
When I am working 1/2 days from home. 9am to 12.30pm. As long as Ted has had a 75 minute walk before hand he will very happily just chill out snoozing as long as he can be in the room with me or in the hall with door open so he can see me.

But I’ve noticed if he gets more like a 45-60 minute walk then at at about 11am he’s coming to me with toys to tug. I do it a little bit gently and he picks up the vibe that I’m busy and takes himself off to chew (a safe) tennis ball. But when I finish work at 12.30pm he needs a short play, then I have a quick lunch and I need to get him out for another 1 hour walk otherwise he is frustrated and unsettled.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
My current four are:
Pebbles. 9 years old. Always ready for nap. When we sit down. She takes a nap. If we all get up to go do something, she stays napping. Unless she feels it's time for her to do something.
Mr. B. He will be 6 this summer. He cues off of us. If we sit to relax, he's contempt to do the same. Get up to do something, he does the same. He's really laid back.
Sandy. She just turned 5 last month. Pretty much like Mr. B and does what we do when we do it. She's a bit more active though. Not at all lazy like her mom Pebbles.
Pearl. She will be 1 year old in two days. She's always ready to go. She isn't as quick to sit and relax like the others but she is a puppy still. She is a lot like her mom Sandy was when she was a puppy.

In my experience, yes, as they get older they tend to be happy doing what you are doing at the time. Sitting down to watch a movie or go out and play. I think that has been pretty much true with all our goldens back to the late 90's.

Good luck with your puppy this summer.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,205 Posts
Maggie has the perfect off switch in the house. Total chill on the couch cuddling and never stops moving when outside. She'll go for hours if you let her. Haven't found empty with her yet. Any time you want to play she's up for it inside or out but almost the only time you'd notice Maggie inside is when you get up, she's the typical velcro Golden. Must know and see whatever is going on but still out of the way and will sometimes bring a tug toy to your lap.

·
Kristy
10,130 Posts
The first year especially is like having a toddler, you will wonder what you ever did with all your spare time. If it's the only dog in the household, you will be the primary playmate. You can usually get a half hour of down time in the evening by giving a chew bone of some type (raw beef shank, or bully stick) but mostly they need to be engaged and played with since you've been busy working or doing chores, making dinner etc. during the day. The more classes you can take, hikes etc. the better. Leash walking isn't really exercise for a healthy young Golden. They have to have aerobic exercise every day or they will be difficult. Older dogs (3,4,5+) will generally be happy to snuggle in the evenings if they have had some play time. I have an 8 year old Golden and a 10 year old Collie and they still play together every day and want to play tug with me, enjoy hiking off leash, my Golden still loves retrieving training. "Sound Beginnings" dvd by Jackie Mertens is an excellent tutorial for teaching your puppy to retrieve. This is the most useful skill you can work on in conjunction with obedience training. Makes it easy to exercise your golden anywhere.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Mine relaxes when we do which is generally around 7:00 pm. I sometimes take a nap during the day and they relax then also. I walked my 15 month old Golden 4.7 miles today over two walks. We played fetch before our walks also. We vary what we do each day. Some days include obedience or agility class and we walk less on those days. Sometimes we just take long sniffing walks at a state park or or in our neighborhood watershed area. Sometimes we do a lot of indoor play with toys, hide and seek, etc. I probably devote an hour and a half to two each day to walking/training. Perhaps much more. Feels like a most of the day job. He just brought me a toy. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts