Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I am a member of a facebook group for obedience people where it's a requirement to post the highest level title you've achieved whenever you comment. Sometimes I think we ought to have some version of that here as well. Hopster, this response is from Barb, she has an excellent resume for training her own dogs and also working with clients at the boarding kennel she has owned for many years. She has so much experience working with dogs from loving pet homes and has a wonderful, common sense approach here over many years in dealing with problems like this. She gives excellent advice for your situation, and I encourage you to feel comfortable listening to her.

You've been fair to the puppy and put in time with foundation obedience and since you told us this: "She has been through her Star Puppy and CGC classes and passed fine. She has started the crazy pulling and jumping at times the last month or so. She is fine at times but other times gets completely stubborn and will not listen, not even to a sit command ." We know that you have spent time training and you're currently in class with a trainer who knows you and your dog and has recommended using this tool. You're not someone being impatient with a 3 month old puppy.

Find someone who can show you the correct placement (this matters greatly) on the neck and the way to use it. The 60 pound dog pulling your shoulder out is a safety hazard to you and herself. I encourage you to do a little reading on them, here's an excellent article: Leerburg Dog Training | How to Fit a Prong Collar and if your trainer doesn't have experience with fitting them, get a referral for a private lesson with someone who trains schutzhund in your area and can get you set up properly.
I am a member of that group as well. I have no problem listing my accomplishments. It would be nice to know accomplishments when taking advise from others.

These are mine:
UCDX URO2 Twincreek's Sweet Tiddlywinks Rose CDX BN RN NAJ CCA CGC TKE - Taking a break from agility due to Covid 19
UCD URO3 Twincreek's Black Tie Affair CDX BN RN CCA CGCA CGCU TKI - Training for Utility
UCD El Tango De Roxanne CD RN CGCA - I'm sure there's more for her. I retired her early due to her anxiety.
I have taught obedience classes from Puppy to Competition level Novice.

Two of them never wore a pinch collar. One did wear one for a short time. She has an independent streak a mile wide! Honestly, that's why I chose her!

It looks like Barb has some good advise.

·
Kristy
9,476 Posts
I am a member of that group as well. I have no problem listing my accomplishments. It would be nice to know accomplishments when taking advise from others.

These are mine:
UCDX URO2 Twincreek's Sweet Tiddlywinks Rose CDX BN RN NAJ CCA CGC TKE - Taking a break from agility due to Covid 19
UCD URO3 Twincreek's Black Tie Affair CDX BN RN CCA CGCA CGCU TKI - Training for Utility
UCD El Tango De Roxanne CD RN CGCA - I'm sure there's more for her. I retired her early due to her anxiety.
I have taught obedience classes from Puppy to Competition level Novice.

Two of them never wore a pinch collar. One did wear one for a short time. She has an independent streak a mile wide! Honestly, that's why I chose her!

It looks like Barb has some good advise.
Abeille, I think that you, Megora etc are terrific members of this forum and know what you're talking about. My intention was not to make anyone feel defensive, I apologize if that was how you took it. I usually look at how long a person who asks questions here has been a member and when I see they are new or have only been here a few months I always think that they probably don't know the background of some of the people here. For instance, I have developed a lot of respect for HotelForDogs over the years, if you don't have that experience with reading her ideas for years you don't know that - I always want to share that with new people. It's not because she has trained a dog to OTCH level - that doesn't mean a lot to the average pet person who needs help. Barb's value to me lies not in her titles but because she knows so much about regular, every day dog families who don't have the bandwidth or patience to put in more than a few class sessions of training and are reaching the end of their rope. (I'm not saying this is the case with the OP this is a generality I've learned over the years). The fact is that most of the people here aren't in for that. After a while they are a threat to throw up their hands and assume they have to live with a dog that won't listen. We can't assume that everyone is young and strong or doesn't have family members who could be endangered by a big strong dog who wont' listen. Not every good dog owner wants to make dog training a full time hobby after they've put in the time and effort for basic manners. Giving solutions that work for regular pet homes is just as important as giving them the suggestions that someone who is a competitive trainer would use with their own dogs. I also try to remember here when I talk about exercise that most of us with multiple dogs have forgotten or don't realize what a luxury it is to have playing with another dog to burn off extra energy and model good behavior. It all makes a difference when we try to figure out how to respond to people. It's good to have a variety of ideas here so that pet owners can look at all of it and see what will work best in their own home for their situation.

·
Registered
535 Posts
"If she pulls now, a prong collar will not stop her pulling. Harnesses help them pull."

I totally disagree with the above comment! They not only stop pulling, but they stop it right away...

My trainers have recommended and trained us how to use prong collars for years. I still use them and if properly used, they are magic! The one I like has no prongs in the area of the throat and it is covered so people generally cannot tell they are wearing a prong collars. You can find these at www.lolalimited.net

Good luck....they explain sizing on their website.

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
@3goldens2keep the key word in your post is "properly used". Just slapping a prong collar on a dog and expecting them to stop pulling is not going to happen. However, if you have a trainer to work with you who can teach you how to use the prong, including sizing, timing of corrections, and how to transfer to a buckle or flat collar without pulling, that is exactly how they should be used.

But no, as someone who has used prongs not properly on dogs before, just putting a prong on a pulling dog does not stop their pulling. Our first dog was a big mutt who wore his prong 24/7 and had absolutely no respect for it and pulled me everywhere. Lack of training on our part led to a dog that never knew how to walk on a leash.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I agree with your comments. I have heard from some of my trainers that if a prong collar is over used the dogs neck gets conditioned to the collar. I have also heard that some tough or strong dogs are still difficult to train, even using a collar.

I have seen a number of very big and out of control dogs (Great Danes, we had six in one class) get their first pinch collar in our obedience class and stop pulling after one taste of the collar.

Training on how to properly use the pinch collar and e collars are critical to training success!

·
Premium Member
18,148 Posts
I saw a guy pull a dog (black lab) out of a car at vet office the other day, with a prong collar on the dog so big you could have slid it over a water buffalo's head. SMH Just to be clear, that's the wrong way to fit a prong collar.

I'll just agree with the others who have said, make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing show you how to fit and use the prong collar. And get one with the smaller links. They can be good tools used correctly, but you can also accomplish what you want with good training.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts