Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruby and I were out for a walk and were waiting at a red light on a corner. A car pulls up that was covered with advertisments for their restaurant. Ruby looks over at the car and starts to growl and then goes into barking mode. She barked and growled until the car passed us and left. I swear if she sees anything out of the norm she goes balistic.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I think it is a phase. Oakly used to freak out of trash days when there would be trash bags on the sidewalk when we went for our walks. He would get spooked by anything out of place. He is much better now.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I don't blame her, there are some cars and advertising I am tempted to bark at too!

·
Mommy to Hudson :)
196 Posts
Im pretty new to this forum, but dogs can do some funny things when it comes to strange objects..even if it is a car. The only thing I could think of is if she wasn't familiarized with being walked around a lot of cars when she was a puppy..or that she may have had a bad experience with cars at some point. Then again, like you said..it was out of the norm so she may just be uneasy around unfamiliar things. Maybe just try to reward her with treats or praise when she is being good around wierd things. Im not a trainer though...lol...just some guessing work on my part. Hope that helps. :)

·
groobie peese n da lobe
10,181 Posts
Buddy barks at umbrellas and straw hats.:confused:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Pawley barks at all animals on tv. It makes watching animal shows very hard.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Murphy saw a construction barrier today and started barking at it. Sometimes he barks at the washer when he hears it too, lol. Dogs are so nutty.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'd say it's normal. Winnie has been known to bark at the air. I swear he sees, or senses, things we don't notice. Or perhaps he has a very active imagination, and is just dying to protect his pack. Whatever it may be, I think it's an adorable trait!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Maggie used to go nuts barking at any paper/plastic bag blowing through the yard. I would have to go out, no matter the weather to grab the offending "monster" or she'd keep it up.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is so true that they all might be a little nuts. It just seemed so weird to me that she stared down this car amongst others waiting at the red light. She wouldn't let it go. We walk that route at least 4 times a week so she is used to the traffic going by. Thanks for all of your responses it makes me feel better that Ruby may not be so neurotic.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Lucy still does it from time to time. Last night, Bart walked in the house with new floor mats for his truck, and Lucy barked and growled at them and wouldn't walk by them. Of course, I know she's a nut job. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts