Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on getting a lhasa apso pup. Yuki is still 4 and 1/2 months old. i am wondering if the two will get along well with eachother :confused: i need some opinions before i get the other pup.

i did some research on toy/small breed dogs, i didnt like many of them except Lhasa. maltese and shihtzu seem to bark a lot. all the other breed i read about had some or the other issue which i didnt like. i ended up choosing a Lhasa. i contacted a breeder about it and we are still talking. before i get the pup i wana make sure they both will be happy with eachother.

i wanted to get another GR, an english cream but mom said no more large dogs, you can get a toy dog if you want. :doh:

anyway please give me your opinions. thanks in advance.

·
We miss you Roo Roo!
158 Posts
Lhasa's bark a lot ,too. I grew up with one, he lived to be 21. Their history puts them as watch dogs, so he wasn't friendly with many of our visitors. As a matter of fact, I even have scars on my shins from being bitten by him as a child.

I don't know if they get along with goldens, but be aware they are devoted to their "People" and can be protective of them. Make sure you get a dog from a breeder that has a history of good temperaments, because that used to be a problem with the breed. I wish my parents had done their research before bringing our Lhasa home...

Have you looked into Cavalier King Charles Spaniels? Sweet, sweet breed...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know much about Lhasa's but I agree with what @attagirl said about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. They are super cute, sweet and don't bark much (depending on the dog and its training.)

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked into Cavalier King Charles Spaniels? Sweet, sweet breed...
yeah i have :) they are sweet but :( not easily available here. also i wana get the long haired one. i have been talking with the breeder, i will ask him about the temperament. i am still thinking about it before getting the pup.

do they really bark a lot? :confused: :( maltese, spitz and havanese sure do bark a lot so i didnt wana get them.

i have owned a german spitz before so i know they bark a lot but my dog never bit anyone. yep she did make a good tiny little guard dog though, she was very attached to me, got seperation anxiety easily if i was gone for a day or two. i dont mind a bit of guarding. my mom kinda prefers guard dogs over friendly dogs like goldens :(

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I had a shih tzu and he was a great dog. He didn't bark much and honestly all the ones I have met (and i mean alot ) don't really bark. Some have a lil bit of a attitude but they are good dogs. I prefer them any day over a Lhasa ..they def have more attitude! I would say make sure you really do check out the temperments of the parents and don't just settle for a breed or breeder just because it is close to you.. The little dogs can have just as many problems, if not more than big dogs.
I too second the suggestion of a cavalier..they are very sweet!

Oh I a had a golden with my shih tzu and they were best of friends! They loved playing with each other and the golden would actually lay down to get on his level to play!

Reactions: Yuki

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
I've not known Shih Tzu's to be barkers for the joy of barking. Most bark if there was a reason to bark. But__ I would be leary of getting a toy puppy when you have a large breed puppy. Dakota is 18 months old and I still don't let her play with the Papillons. She would never hurt one intentionally, but accidently could do so very easily. A simple playbow by the bigger dog on a toy puppy could kill it. I'm sorry for sounding mean, but unless you are willing to keep them seperate for a good long time... I have seperate house times, one for the big, one for the small. Also be aware that toy dogs can be harder to housebreak and it takes much longer than a large dog.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My mom has a shih tzu and she does not bark alot. The only time she barks is if someone is at the door or the other 2 dogs my mom has gets her going. My mom had her a long time before I got my golden but my pup was house trained way before her.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks everyone. :) your opinions really helped. guess getting a lhasa is out of picture. i told the breeder i didnt want a lhasa and told him the reasons too. he understood and told me it was a good decision.

i am gonna search for a shih tzu or papillon later. i hope i can find a cute one. it may take a while to find one i like. if not i will give up my search. maybe i can convince my mom to get me another golden pup :eek: hopefully.

the main reason i am searching for a toy dog is....i currently have a very high puppy fever!!! i am going crazy!!! i so wana get a golden pup...if only my mom agrees :doh: she said no more GR pups :--sad:

since i owned a german spitz before i know they are really hard to potty train :doh: the smaller the dog the harder it gets--been through that phase :doh: smaller dogs if not trained in obedience and firmly commanded from a young age they sure show a lot of attitude when they grow up.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Yuki is still a puppy herself. I would focus all your puppy fever on her first and wait til she is older to add a new addition. A rambumcious golden puppy is not a good fit for a toy puppy. The toy puppy could very easily be injured by Yuki.

That being said golden can get along really with any other dog breed as long as the golden has been well socialized since puppyhood.

Reactions: cubbysan and Yuki

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Syd, think it is good to wait until Yuki is a mature adult before adding a smaller dog. My goldens came into our already established yorkie household. For months I kept the yorks seperated unless we were there to watch. The goldens play hard and was afraid they would stomp the yorks. Now they are allowed to be together. The yorks hide when the goldens have zoomie times but they also play together hard (for yorkies). Kye lays on the floor and the yorkies all pounce on her to play tug of war and just face bitey. Neither Coop nor Kye ever "stands" when at play with them, but gets to their level. I still wouldn't trust them together all the time, but monitored play is going fine.

Since you are still recovering from your foot, I would wait until YOU and Yuki are better and more apt to handle a toy breed. You have plenty of time and perhaps you can talk your parents into another golden when Yuki matures and they see what a great boy he has become. Parents get more sappy when the pup is not in a mischief stage! Hang on for the right time.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yuki is still a puppy herself. I would focus all your puppy fever on her first and wait til she is older to add a new addition.

That being said golden can get along really with any other dog breed as long as the golden has been well socialized since puppyhood.
i am focusing it all on him but it just isnt enough...if there was a litter of goldens nearby...i swear i would be among them cuddling them etc..."puppies, puppies" <--it keeps repeating inside my head lol

I am trying to socialize Yuki. it really isnt easy near my place. until my foot is alright i cant go to find some good dogs/pups and their owners. i was planning on doing some "play time" and maybe "training together" if the owners agreed to join us. :)

Syd, think it is good to wait until Yuki is a mature adult before adding a smaller dog.

Since you are still recovering from your foot, I would wait until YOU and Yuki are better and more apt to handle a toy breed. You have plenty of time and perhaps you can talk your parents into another golden when Yuki matures and they see what a great boy he has become. Parents get more sappy when the pup is not in a mischief stage! Hang on for the right time.
yep i thought it over, even in sleep lol, even my dreams were filled with "what do i do?" and "lots and lots of puppies"...i woke up with "okay i am gonna wait it out. **** fever go away"...i wont look at pup pics for a week<--grounded myself to get a grip.

i will wait until he is 1 yr old before i add another member to family. i dont know what my parents choice will be after the time passes, toy breed or another golden...i honestly wish my parents will agree about having another golden in the family. maybe a lighter shade golden pup :--crazy_love:

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Ha Syd, you make me laugh so. I can relate and was fine untill all the puppy pictures lately. Really, really hard not to want another.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha Syd, you make me laugh so. I can relate and was fine untill all the puppy pictures lately. Really, really hard not to want another.
i guess those pics are increasing my fever lol. *pouts* thats why i am refraining from seeing any...for 1 week<--grounded on my own lol.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was going to suggest a papillon. I have met several at Agility, Rally Obedience and Obedience Trials. Overall, I think that they smart dogs and easily trained.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Papillons, or Phalenes, the drop-eared variety, are great dogs. They are easily trained, eager to please you and intelligent. Like all toy dogs, they are harder to housebreak. I still would wait until Yuki grows up before getting another puppy. But if you do decide on a Papillon and have any questions about them, I would be happy to help answer them. I've had Papillons for twenty years.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Question, are you living with your parents? You shouldn't be getting more dogs IMO until you have a place of your own and are settled down. Unless you plan on living with your mom for the next 12 years? Which circumstances may require - if so that's fine. But you seem young and if you aren't planning on staying with them then really you shouldn't saddle yourself with even more responsibility until you have a stable independent life. What happens if you can't find an apartment that allows pets? Allowing 2 dogs is even harder to find. What happens if you get a job that doesn't allow you the schedule to take care of your pets?

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Question, are you living with your parents? You shouldn't be getting more dogs IMO until you have a place of your own and are settled down. Unless you plan on living with your mom for the next 12 years? Which circumstances may require - if so that's fine. But you seem young and if you aren't planning on staying with them then really you shouldn't saddle yourself with even more responsibility until you have a stable independent life. What happens if you can't find an apartment that allows pets? Allowing 2 dogs is even harder to find. What happens if you get a job that doesn't allow you the schedule to take care of your pets?

well...yes i am living with my parents and i would not be allowed to live independently by them so easily since i am their only child. i am 29 or 30 yrs old...i think :confused: i keep forgetting my age lol.
the cultures are different so i hope you understand. i do get your point and thanks for the advice :)
i wont be getting any jobs since i will be taking over the landlord business of my parents next year, working hours are pretty flexible and usually there isnt much work. if i did move it will be only to a farm. no apartments, i hate them, never lived in one before. if i wana earn more $$$ i would most probably start my own business project. maybe a hospital or pet training and grooming center. i love helping others, making others happy, smiles are precious to me be it from a human or an animal and really dont care much about $$$ :doh: guess i am not a material girl...my mom hates this part about me the most lol.

i will keep your advice in my mind and think over it few times before getting another pup.

I still would wait until Yuki grows up before getting another puppy. But if you do decide on a Papillon and have any questions about them, I would be happy to help answer them. I've had Papillons for twenty years.
thank you so much :) i am gonna wait for Yuki to grow up before getting another pup. if its a pappy, :D i will surely ask for your help, please do help me when the time arrives. *hugs* thanks.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Ah, well then you're good then. Good luck with your new addition when you find them. Sorry I didn't understand your circumstances before - thanks for kindly explaining them.

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah, well then you're good then. Good luck with your new addition when you find them. Sorry I didn't understand your circumstances before - thanks for kindly explaining them.
you are welcome :D no need to apologize, one has to question and one has to answer to know more details about something. glad you asked cuz if my circumstances are/were different i would have decided something that could have turned troublesome in future. :) so thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts