Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, forgive me my ignorance, since I have only owned a greyhound and they have no fur. He needed a coat if the temperature dropped below 50 degrees.:) My puppy will be coming home on Jan. 2, it can be cold and sometimes snowy here in the winter.

Will she need something for potty trips? For romps in the snow if we take the kids sledding, etc?

TIA,
AMy

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I can't imagine they would. I won't be putting a coat on my dog and I live in Michigan. They have long thick fur so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Your new puppy will be fine, I doubt you'll be needing a coat besides the one she's already wearing ;). Sometimes you need to be careful post-snow playtime because little balls of snow/ice and gather in between the webbing of the toes. You'll need to remove it, or keep the hair trimmed well.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Goldens laugh at the cold. :) Heck, my guys sometimes go swimming on a Maine January day then come out and roll in the snow.

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
I am from Ohio as well. Plus had Murphy ( born October 25th 2008) as a puppy in January February.... He did fine without a coat. As a young puppy they are not outside that long anyway!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
No, they don't need coats, at least not in Ohio. Goldens have their own double coat that protects them the cold.

My Hank lies on the floor registers in the summer to get the full effect of the AC. He hates the heat.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm in the UK and Rupert has a coat!

Its not for the cold though, its for if its raining really hard because if he gets too wet he takes forever to dry out and sometime gets the shivers, the house is all tiled floors and pretty cool, even with the heating on.

And on top of that he always goes and rolls in the mud if he gets particularly wet :doh:

He stays nice and toasty when walking, like I say its just for the water factor for us :p:

To go toilet etc we never bothered, he had a coat last winter when he was about 5-6 months old, but again just for the walks where it was pouring buckets..!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts