Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask... well... I was used to Mojo mouthing ALL over my hands from day one. He would bite down but it never really hurt THAT bad. If anything it hurt more when he would accidentally scrap a sharp tooth against my hand or arm.

A couple days ago my friend brought over her little 10 week old mix. (Mix of pretty much EVERYTHING I guess.)

He was EXTREMELY mouthy with her, and I figured if I played with him he would be with me too. I wasn't worried, I survived Mojo.

HOLY MOLY.

It REALLY hurt! The little bugger would clamp down on my finger and wouldn't let go! He'd clamp down HARD.

So I was wondering, did we just get lucky with Mojo? I was talking to DH. He said goldens just have soft mouths... and they could carry an egg without breaking it.

True or... luck?

(Oh yeah, and in the picture... that's him. He has two different colored eyes. :D)

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
From everything I hear true. Although Luck can get us sometimes and it hurts! Mainly when he is trying to get out shirt and play tug! GOOD LORD WHEN DOES THAT END?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on when they are taken from their litter. If they are left there until they are about 8 weeks old, they seem to have very soft mouths. Mine do.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From everything I hear true. Although Luck can get us sometimes and it hurts! Mainly when he is trying to get out shirt and play tug! GOOD LORD WHEN DOES THAT END?
Oh MY LORD. I haaaaaaaaated when Mojo would do that. It was our shorts though. I don't know HOW he stopped, but he just did. It stopped when he stopped mouthing us, too. And when he was finished teething. :D

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a lot of it depends on when they are taken from their litter. If they are left there until they are about 8 weeks old, they seem to have very soft mouths. Mine do.
Ahhhh, he was a Craigslist puppy. 5 weeks old when she got him.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
LOL as a young teething puppy I don't think Sam's mouth was the slightest bit soft... I suppose if those puppy teeth weren't razor sharp it would've felt a little softer.. but I was always covered in scratches and puncture wounds on my hands from him lol

But after Sam wasn't majorly teething anymore, and when we'd get him riled up during playtime, he'd put his teeth around our hands and like chatter his mouth without actually touching teeth to skin. It was so funny!! It was like he WANTED to mouth on us, but knew he wasn't allowed and was trying SOOO hard to be gentle so playtime wouldn't end lol It was very cute! He has a very soft mouth now.. pretty much as soon as his adult teeth came in and he wasn't such a landshark the change was remarkable!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yup. The soft mouth is real. Caleb can carry a ripe tomato in his mouth without puncturing it or even bruising it. However, when he's playing sometimes he forgets to be gentle and yes, those teeth can hurt. Especially when they still have those sharp little puppy teeth!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Oh MY LORD. I haaaaaaaaated when Mojo would do that. It was our shorts though. I don't know HOW he stopped, but he just did. It stopped when he stopped mouthing us, too. And when he was finished teething. :D
Well, we are working really hard on stopping this! Drives me bonkers! My poor kids look out their doors in the morning and when they see he is not around they book it to the kitchen! The big problem is he was not taught any commands besides sit and lay. So we are at square one!

The two different eye color is crazy! I have never seen a dog like that.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Goldens *should* have a soft mouth. I've met some who certainly don't - ever! I think it depends in part on when they leave the litter, how they're raised and the genes they were born with.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Not always, Hank was given to me at 5 1/2 weeks (I know, I know...but he was a gift) and he has a soft mouth. His puppy teeth are razor sharp though. Better to leave a hand inside his mouth than pull it away. I will be glad when those are gone;).

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Jasper was with his litter until he was 4 1/2 months old and he has a very, very soft mouth. I think Danny was sold when he was 8 weeks old and he has an okay mouth, but not really soft. I do think a lot of it has to do with training. My dogs won't put their mouths on me (especially Jasper, he would be mortified if he put his mouth on me, lol) because I always used "no bite" when I played with them. Play stopped if they did bite me and I left the room.

Jasmine (lab/golden mix) never had a really soft mouth and she was sold to us when she was 6 weeks old. But as she got older, her favorite way of greeting people was to gently take their hand into her mouth and walk next to them, while wiggling happily. Kind of surprised some people. LOL

·
Registered
813 Posts
I believe it that goldens have soft mouths. Bailey had an aggression problem when I got her at 15 months old. Even in her fits of rage, she never drew blood.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My five goldens have all had soft mouths. They could hold a live pigeon in their mouth and not injure it. and yes, the pigeon lived also.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
My boy has an extremely soft mouth when it comes to taking food or a treat. Sometimes when we get playing rough he will get somewhat aggressive.....a sharp "BE NICE" will keep him in line.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
What I'd like to know is why is it necessary for pups to have such SHARPE TEETH???

Pete

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
What I'd like to know is why is it necessary for pups to have such SHARPE TEETH???

Pete
B/c when you're a tiny little puppy, it's the only defense system you have!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Every golden I've had has carried my hand in their mouth when we walked. I guess it was their idea of a leash on me! My bridge golden, Tasha, would bring small (and very physically unhurt - who knows emotionally) animals such as birds, shrews snakes, rabbits to me.

My current goldens? Who knows how soft their mouth is. They both had most of their teeth pulled in their rescue dental. They still want to carry my hand and I have a feeling they would carry a live bird just as well. Even with teeth!

·
clueless puppy owner
60 Posts
I believe it that goldens have soft mouths. Bailey had an aggression problem when I got her at 15 months old. Even in her fits of rage, she never drew blood.
I have a few marks on my hands that remind me that Puf's soft mouth is entirely by his own choice and is not to be taken for granted.

·
Dad to Riley and Sam
256 Posts
I agree, there are a few times I have caught Riley with the WHOLE head of Squiggy (my cat) in his mouth. Squiggy never seemed to mind. He would just have that wet gooey look for a while.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have not been on in a while but Lola is doing well. She has adjusted well in the 10 months. I have to tell about a experience I had with her which I guess would be considered soft mouth. One day a few months back Lola found a live baby bird and put it in her mouth I was so upset and when I told her to open her mouth so I could take the baby bird out the bird just popped out and started running away. Lola never bit down on the baby bird and I was totally amazed at the whole experience and relieved. Claire & Lola

1 - 20 of 32 Posts