Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month Golden has suffered from what appears to be a minor cough the last couple days. It only happens a couple times a day and usually when she is excited and starts running around, when she is on her leash, and maybe once early in the morning. I would compare it to when a human is trying to cough up some chest congestion. Has anyone had their dog experience something like this before? Any home remedies or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
That's pretty unusual. I would get her to the vet and have her listened to her chest/lungs. It could be the start of a virus or a bacterial infection. She may have something stuck in her throat and is trying to cough it up.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My 9 month Golden has suffered from what appears to be a minor cough the last couple days. It only happens a couple times a day and usually when she is excited and starts running around, when she is on her leash, and maybe once early in the morning. I would compare it to when a human is trying to cough up some chest congestion. Has anyone had their dog experience something like this before? Any home remedies or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
that sounds like Kennel cough... not at all unusual... I would have the vet check her out to make sure that is all it is and there isn't really anything caught there... but kennel cough often sounds like a hacking cough like they are trying to cough something up.... remember that the kennel cough vaccine is like a flu shot... it doesn't cover all the strains and you can still get the flu with the vaccine.. the same is true for kennel cough

have her checked but it sounds like kennel cough and I can tell you there is a nasty strain going around these parts in the northeast ...five of my dogs picked it up at a show and just got off antibiotics for it and I usually don't treat but they were pretty darned sick....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'v seen dogs with Kennel cough and I don't think that is what this is. It literally happens 2-4 times a day, it's not like its a constant issue.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'm with Shalva. It sounds exactly like kennel cough.

Usually it's minor and lasts a week or two and goes away on its own. The real risk is a secondary bacterial infection in the lungs, so sometimes docs will put the dog on prophylactic antibiotics if the KC seems bad.

Rest your pup for a few days and keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting worse. Head to the vet if you get worried at all.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
When my guys had a minor bout of KC, the coughs were very infrequent. It was a hacking, puking noise a few times a day.

Is hers more like a deep, chesty cough? If so, I would go to the vet.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
My dogs have had respiratory issues twice. Both were diagnosed as kennel cough. They were never coughing constantly, in fact, the last time (in Sept.) Jack coughed a couple times a day. His became rather serious, however, because he ended up with a 105 degree fever. KC does not usually present with a fever, which was odd, and after the fact I heard that there was a respiratory coronavirus going around, but I'm not sure how reliable that was. I would at least monitor her temperature and keep her away from other dogs until it stops. I would still probably take her to the vet if I were you though.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dogs have had respiratory issues twice. Both were diagnosed as kennel cough. They were never coughing constantly, in fact, the last time (in Sept.) Jack coughed a couple times a day. His became rather serious, however, because he ended up with a 105 degree fever. KC does not usually present with a fever, which was odd, and after the fact I heard that there was a respiratory coronavirus going around, but I'm not sure how reliable that was. I would at least monitor her temperature and keep her away from other dogs until it stops. I would still probably take her to the vet if I were you though.
How do you take a dog's temperature?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Rectal thermometer. You can use a kid's rectal thermometer from the pharmacy with a little vaseline. Just make sure you mark the dog's thermometer very carefully...

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My two just went through this a few weeks ago. I did talk to my vet who thought it sounded like it could be KC. We decided to do the wait and see as long as they were eating, sleeping and playing fine. They were each over it in about a week. It is smart to check with your vet and follow your instincts with your dog. I would have taken them straight in if they had ever seemed to be in distress or uncomfortable.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Like the others said kennel cough can be a constant cough... or gagging (that is what my emmett had) or it can be relatively mild where it is just excercise induced.. .think about when you get a cold you might not cough all the time but exercise can trigger the tickle or talking ... etc etc....

a vet visit is in order to make sure thats all it is...especially as this is the first time you have seen it.

I remember the first time we saw kennel cough we were at a dog show in montreal with the flat coats and she started gagging... i called the emergency clinic and they could hear her and diagnosed it over the phone... told me what to do and said if it didn't clear to bring her in when we got back.... she was fine a few days later...

like I said there is a nasty strain going around.... but a vet visit is definitely in order

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like the others said kennel cough can be a constant cough... or gagging (that is what my emmett had) or it can be relatively mild where it is just excercise induced.. .think about when you get a cold you might not cough all the time but exercise can trigger the tickle or talking ... etc etc....

a vet visit is in order to make sure thats all it is...especially as this is the first time you have seen it.

I remember the first time we saw kennel cough we were at a dog show in montreal with the flat coats and she started gagging... i called the emergency clinic and they could hear her and diagnosed it over the phone... told me what to do and said if it didn't clear to bring her in when we got back.... she was fine a few days later...

like I said there is a nasty strain going around.... but a vet visit is definitely in order
They told you what to do? What exactly did they tell you to do? She is due for her checkup and vaccine in the next couple dats so I think we will just wait to bring her in because she is acting completely normal.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
honestly I don't like giving veterinary advice over the forum.... especially as I can't be sure that this is not another issue... or she doesn't really have something stuck there...

I know that for us when we have kennel cough we tend to use steam... ie. the shower.... we tend to use honey to soothe a mild cough and plain old robitussin DM for cough if the honey doesn't work... and lots of crate rest....

HOWEVER...I am not a vet.... I am just a person with some dog experience and I can't hear your dogs cough or know if she has a fever or whatever... so I would strongly advise you to take her to the vet... the internet is no substitution for a vet visit ...

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
There are other respiratory illnesses besides kennel cough. I truly would not wait to take her to the vet. Additionally, it was strongly recommended to me by a number of people not to vaccinate a sick dog. We ended up waiting to complete Chloe's puppy vaccinations until she was almost 6 months old because she battled a UTI and kennel cough. I didn't want to risk increasing the odds of an adverse reaction due to her compromised immune system.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
There are other respiratory illnesses besides kennel cough. I truly would not wait to take her to the vet. Additionally, it was strongly recommended to me by a number of people not to vaccinate a sick dog. We ended up waiting to complete Chloe's puppy vaccinations until she was almost 6 months old because she battled a UTI and kennel cough. I didn't want to risk increasing the odds of an adverse reaction due to her compromised immune system.
shoot I forgot to mention that piece I thought about it and got busy and totally forgot... very true.... and I agree there are other things going around... it sounds like kennel cough but there is no saying that it isn't something else more serious...

someone mentioned influenza and I know of at least two wolfhound kennels that lost most of their dogs due to influenza so it is very serious

1 - 17 of 17 Posts