Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golden retrievers are the best hunters (duck), or any other pheasant chuckers ext... It's Great for bonding giving your retriever a real experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey we use to live in Fl. but when we moved to Wy. we got him into hunting(Maui) now he is 9 and we still hunt for fun with him!!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
That's great! I'm sure your Maui loves it :) I think it might be Archers favorite thing in the whole world, besides bacon. I bet Wyoming was a good place to hunt as well.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
The forum has a whole Hunt and Field section. You should check it out! Lots of us hunt with our dogs. Goldens love it!

·
Owned by Josie
1,206 Posts
So glad people still use their goldens to hunt. My last golden was the ultimate dock dog, but ended up being gun shy. She would have been an amazing duck hunter if you didn't have to pull the trigger. :) I had high hopes for my current golden - see attached picture! But, I just don't have a place to take her for pheasants or ducks. I don't think I can shoot a duck that has landed in my pool! :) By the way - Josie was wet within 5 seconds after I snapped this picture. :)

Attachments

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Abradshaw71

Gun shyness is usually caused because the dog has not been trained (conditioned) to guns. You can find how to by searching on the internet for how to train....

Basically you go out in the field when they are young and start playing fetch, while someone with a small shotgun stands maybe 100 yds away and shoots, if the dog looks, just keep playing like nothing happened. Then have the shooter start moving closer, slowly conditioning the dog to ignore the noise. After a few times, you will be able to stand with the dog and shoot, he will focus on the retrieve and ignore the gun.

I am lucky as we have a Trap Range near us and I take my dogs when they are young and stand 100yds away (in an open area behind the range parking lot) to play fetch, then work our way back to the shooting area. Many guns are firing, so once we get back to the parking lot, these dogs are not guy shy!

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Golden retrievers are the best hunters (duck), or any other pheasant chuckers ext... It's Great for bonding giving your retriever a real experience.
The reason I started getting Golden's over 25 years ago was to take them and my two young boys hunting. Over the years I have learned how to train them properly, and actually run them in hunt tests (which my wife also loves) to sharpen both of our skills. Now my adult son's ask me to go hunting with them, cause I have the trained hunting dogs...that worked out well!

We currently have 3 Golden's and my son's are 36 and 33. We hunt lots of ducks, Pheasant, Quail, and Dove...all great fun

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love to hunt. Used to have a German Shorthair and we would hunt upland birds over him. Trained him to stay steady on point, was so much fun to watch him work through cover and fields. He was also a great duck hunting partner. Loved the water and loved to retrieve. Haven't hunted over my goldens (yet).. :)

·
Owned by Josie
1,206 Posts
Abradshaw71

Gun shyness is usually caused because the dog has not been trained (conditioned) to guns. You can find how to by searching on the internet for how to train....

Basically you go out in the field when they are young and start playing fetch, while someone with a small shotgun stands maybe 100 yds away and shoots, if the dog looks, just keep playing like nothing happened. Then have the shooter start moving closer, slowly conditioning the dog to ignore the noise. After a few times, you will be able to stand with the dog and shoot, he will focus on the retrieve and ignore the gun.

I am lucky as we have a Trap Range near us and I take my dogs when they are young and stand 100yds away (in an open area behind the range parking lot) to play fetch, then work our way back to the shooting area. Many guns are firing, so once we get back to the parking lot, these dogs are not guy shy!
I just didn't have available land when Josie was a puppy. Thunder and loud noises do not seem to affect her at all, so there is the possibility I could try it now with her. My cousins have a ton of acreage so I have the space available to me now.

I went pheasant hunting in North Dakota this past October with my dad and six cousins. I was the only female with seven other men. At least they were all related! We had a German shorthair and a chocolate lab for us. They were the perfect combination. The GSP would point and flush and the lab retrieved anything and everything, especially if the birds landed on the opposite side of the river we were by. I kept thinking how much Josie would have loved being there with us, but her fur would have been a horrible mess! :)

·
KCGold
1,757 Posts
Sounds like you are having fun with the dogs and hunting, in the end that is all that matters.....

To be honest my wife is a better shot than I am, but don't tell her I admitted it :D...the only way I can beat her at shooting is to get in her mind a bit, if you know what I mean....

Regards....

·
Registered
12 Posts
We love hunting with our Goldens as well! They love it. I really think they are some of the best hunting buddies out there.

This is our girl Teak going after some ducks. She loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts