Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bart and I are wanting to do a DNA test on Dory some time, and also would like to run one on his parents' dog. Do any of you recommend one over another? I know I want one with more breeds in the database.

·
Retired bum..........
1,106 Posts
I read on another dog site that someone sent off a DNA test to 3 different sites and got 3 different results. They also went on to say that 'their' vet said it is a very unreliable test. I'm not trying to poo poo having the test done as I would like to do it on my lab mix, but would like to think I'm not wasting my money. Anyone have any experience with a particular DNA site?

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I've read, some tests are better than others. That's why I know I want one with as many breeds as possible in the database. With Dory, if the rescue was at all correct, it shouldn't be too hard to establish what she is. With Lica, my in-laws dog, she could be anything.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have no idea about the DNA test. How much does it cost?

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
we had one done, can't think of the name right now. it was around $80, and it came back golden, lab and an "undetermined." for the test we did, a dog would have to test more than 51% of a specific breed for it to be considered the primary breed. any other breeds are considered secondary breeds.

for Faith, she had both golden and lab as secondary breeds, with the undetermined falling under that. we have always assumed there is some sort of hound in there too.

many folks have said the tests are unreliable (if not outright frauds), but i didn't care about that, we did it for fun.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still, it's nice to know a little something. We actually want to do it more for Lica than Dory, because right now Dory seems very much a mix of lab and golden. The entire family always speculates what Lica could be though. My father in law thinks she has to have some wolf in her because she smells horrible. I've never told them it was more likely the food she eats.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
My stepson had one done for $150, and his dog doesn't look one single thing like any of the breeds they claimed in the DNA test. I'm not convinced of the accuracy of any of the tests yet.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You know I have seen these tests mentioned on here before, and I am just now thinking I might try to get one done on Duke. I got to see both his mother and father, but the owner didn't know what breeds were in either of them. It could be interesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts