Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the DNA results and Maisy's entire 9-puppy litter was sired by the Golden Retriever (picture below) so they are all Lab-Golden crosses or LGX (the term the service dog organization uses). They'll be 3 months old on November 2 and the puppy raisers are reporting good progress to date.

Maisy's very first litter of puppies will be turned back in to the service dog organization next month to begin 4-6 months of advanced training with the organizations professional staff. Statistically some of them will be released from the program either back to their puppy raiser or perhaps to another organization for bomb/drug detection or diabetes alert work. (The ones returned to the puppy raiser often go on to do therapy work due to their high level of training and personalities.)

It will be a sad day for the puppy raisers as they say good-bye, but I am excited to see what the ultimate outcome of her first litter will be. It was the first litter I've ever whelped and cared for and I remember each puppy with great fondness. These dogs always find their right purpose (whether it's as a service dog, a working dog with another organization, or as an awesome pet doing therapy visits) and I'm excited to learn over the next 6 months just what that purpose is.

Here's a link to the forum thread with the puppy pictures. https://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/other-retriever-breeds/510750-lab-lab-golden-cross.html

Attachments

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
That is interesting. I thought I saw the Golden in a few of them but I sure did not see it in all of them. Thanks for sharing this.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting!

Thanks for taking us along on this journey. Will Maisy remain with you for life or is there another plan for her? I’ve learned a lot through you and appreciate it.

After her last litter, the service dog organization will spay her and then legal ownership is transferred to us and we are allowed to keep her. I'm hopeful one of her girls is eventually selected as a breeder and is assigned to us. It would be nice to have Maisy with us when her grandpups are whelped.

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
No kidding! I also thought her sired a few of them for sure, but some definitely looked more Lab-ish. He's a really nice looking boy.
So cool what you get to do. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts