Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week 11 month old Bowser was playing and suddenly started feeling dizzy/falling over and his eyes were twitching around. This lasted a few minutes and he was taken to the vet later. They checked for an ear exam and said he was fine. Last night it happened again. This morning he also had diarrhea.

Google told me its Vestibular (Old Man) Syndrome.

Anyone experience this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,071 Posts
It could be something totally different, I wouldn't rely on what you find by doing a Google search.

I don't have any experience with this but I would get him to a Vet as soon as possible to be checked. I would think a full exam including blood work is needed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
It sounds like vestibular disease, but that would be uncommon in a young dog (there’s a reason it’s called OLD dog vestibular disease) and that is a diagnosis of exclusion — everything else should be ruled out. I think a thorough history, neurological exam, and possible work up is in order. I would recommend taking him in to your vet, and consider a neurologist.

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,071 Posts
Good to hear it, if he should get worse before his appt., take him to an E Vet.

Hope it's not serious, sending good thoughts for your boy.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
It sounds like vestibular disease, but that would be uncommon in a young dog (there’s a reason it’s called OLD dog vestibular disease) and that is a diagnosis of exclusion — everything else should be ruled out. I think a thorough history, neurological exam, and possible work up is in order. I would recommend taking him in to your vet, and consider a neurologist.
Thank you so much for all you do here. I know it is a labor of love and a real giving back to the community. Sometimes there is a big deal happening and if there is no one here with real experience to suggest a path, Google is all there is... so you being willing to come and input is a real gift to all.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thank you so much for all you do here. I know it is a labor of love and a real giving back to the community. Sometimes there is a big deal happening and if there is no one here with real experience to suggest a path, Google is all there is... so you being willing to come and input is a real gift to all.
Thanks for the kind words. I just feel bad when one slips through the cracks as I cannot be monitoring the site 24/7. It also does take quite a while to formulate an answer to some of these questions, so when I am happy with what others have recommended and don't have much to add, I will often stay quiet. I really do appreciate YOUR expertise and have learned so much from reading your posts re. breeding, whelping, clearances, Golden-specific health problems, etc. This is such a valuable resource!

·
Project Redhead
762 Posts
That sounds similar to what my Malamute did. Though no change in stools for him. Never managed a solid DX but probably a type of epilepsy for him. First one he was about 3 and they continued off and on his entire life.
He would stop. Appear wobbly for a few seconds and then drop. Eyes would twitch with a blank stare. Few seconds later he would get up like nothing happened. He lived until just shy of 13.

Another thought might be a type of poisoning. Perhaps he ate something?

Hope you find an answer.

·
Registered
Dory, 5-years old
2,394 Posts
Hope your vet can offer a diagnosis & start a treatement plan.

Sending love to your pup.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It is hard to tell based on the description alone, but this sounds to me like a focal seizure. Please google on the focal seizures youtube videos to see any similarities. The focal seizures are different from the generalized ones (grand mals), they only affect one part of a brain. Also it might have been only a tonic phase of grand mal seizure without developing a clonic phase. I encourage you to check the youtube videos for the focal seizures or tonic phase of grand mal, this could also help the conversation with the vet.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
I thought it sounded like a seizure, too. I'm glad you're taking him to the vet.

Reactions: Searoll27
1 - 13 of 13 Posts