Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I made this in about 15 minutes using 3 inch strands of fleece about 48 inches long. My first knot needs more tweaking, but I have an idea for doing that. I used 6 strands for this and used a clamp to hold the fabric and knot while I braided. The boys seem to like it!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Cady just dragged one through the house a bit ago...she likes them long enough to drag....
I keep them in all kinds of diameters....the thinner ones are great to tie to toys to drag about...
Some with loops in the end to teach the dogs to pull open doors...

Fleece is FUN!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Very nice. I like the colors.

I made one up recently from some scraps left over from making fleece backed baby quilts. The strips were about 2" wide and it came out a little too thin. I added a knot in the center and Gracie loves to tug with it.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Kate
21,295 Posts
Very pretty colors - springy<:

One tip thingy that I found is a hit with my guys - I save squeakers from all the shredded toys... and will sew small ones into one of the strips of fleece before knot-braiding the strips. So far it's pretty much the only type of squeaky toy that doesn't die-on-arrival with my Jacks... ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried doing this with an old fleece blanket I cut into strips. My pup was able to get little pieces off to chew and swallow in just a few minutes. Do you think it was the quality of my fleece, the width of my strips (too wide?), or maybe I braided it too loosely? Ideas?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I tried doing this with an old fleece blanket I cut into strips. My pup was able to get little pieces off to chew and swallow in just a few minutes. Do you think it was the quality of my fleece, the width of my strips (too wide?), or maybe I braided it too loosely? Ideas?
Could be any of the things you mentioned. Before braiding I pulled hard on the fabric strips to make sure they were strong enough to hold up to some tugging. I also rolled each strip before braiding so I could get a tighter braid. I noticed that there's a difference in the amount of stretch in strips cut across or lengthwise of the fabric. Given the choice I think you'd want to cut them in the direction of less stretch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could be any of the things you mentioned. Before braiding I pulled hard on the fabric strips to make sure they were strong enough to hold up to some tugging. I also rolled each strip before braiding so I could get a tighter braid. I noticed that there's a difference in the amount of stretch in strips cut across or lengthwise of the fabric. Given the choice I think you'd want to cut them in the direction of less stretch.
Thanks! I'm so glad I saw this thread. I think it is worth trying it again, with better fleece, etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I make and sell the tugs for rescue. We do a round braid which is very tight and the dogs have a hard time pulling it apart. I also do some with a ball attached. These are very popular with agility competitors.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd love a tutorial on a round braid.

I made another one yesterday with 2 inch strips, 6 total:

I'm recuperating from surgery and can't do too much so I may experiment today with knots in the middle and perhaps a ball in the middle too.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I love your fleece tugs! Very pretty. I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend! Rindy and Finn love to play tug and these would be perfect.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since I'm on exercise restriction due to surgery, I've got more free time to play around with the fleece. This is another design- it didn't turn out exactly the way I intended, but it was a hit with the pups. I have a better redesign in mind.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We received one of these fleece pull toys in our puppy pack from the breeder (handmade from the breeders friend).

It was one of Shelby's favourite toys then and still is now (she's now 5 months old), its got a bit longer (stretched) but its one of the few toys that have so far, stood the test of time and shes extemely good at finding a weakness in her toys!

We love it! :D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts