Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I figured I'd give a little update since I've received a ton of PM's asking how the puppy search is going.

We resigned ourselves to the fact that we weren't going to rush to find a puppy in time for Christmas. However, our search has stalled and I am just plain bummed out. I do not want to wait until spring for a puppy but we've had no luck finding a boy (hubby has dug his heels in and won't go for a girl) from the breeders we want.

Twin Beau D was on top of our list. Unfortunately, her last girl delivered yesterday and only had 4 boys...we were #5....insert a BIG OL' sad face here. I was just sure it was going to work out and am super bummed.

I posted last weekend about Little Country Goldens (Kelore) as we met a boy from them and absolutely fell in love. Kim unfortunately only had a girl available and won't be breeding again for about a month. I was then referred to Patty at Golden Dreams and again I found girls...ugh!!! I looked at Nautilus, just the website but it looks like they won't have a littler until April.

We are looking for a dog with a look (strong build, boxy face) like what the above breeders produce. On top of that a laid back personality is paramount. We have a golden that is on the anxious side and while we love him, quirks and all we'd love a guy that is similar to our boy we lost in July. Just a laid back, go with the flow kinda guy :)

If anyone has any suggestions on another breeder to try that has what we are looking for I'd love to hear it! We are willing to travel a bit....ME, NH, VT, CT...pretty much the New England area.

Thanks so much everyone!!!

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
I know you had your heart set on getting a puppy soon, but getting the right puppy that is what you really want is worth the wait. Be patient, you are looking at all the best breeders, don't lower your standards just to get a puppy sooner. You will find your puppy when it's the right time and the right dog.

·
Banned
616 Posts
If you like Nautilus, I would still contact her, as she has a lot of studs and are used frequently in the area. She could point you in the direction of a breeder that used one of her studs and has a puppy available. Of course always check the health clearances.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Are you willing to travel far? I know that Delmarva in MD just had a litter. I am not sure if all the boys are spoken for, but you can contact her.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Have you asked Nancy if she could recommend anybody?

How about Numoon in Blackstone, MA or Beechwood on Cape cod ?

Del Marva in Maryland ( not sure if you are willing to go that far ) just had a litter last week. On her website she doesn't say if they are all sold or not. Sue and Vern are very respected on this forum.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Also, Heather at Arcane has 2 litters on the ground.... one all boys.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Her website says that she has puppies still available for the end of January and beginning of February. She is in Canada.
Oh gosh! I just contacted her but didn't realize she was in Canada. Not sure we can travel that far. I guess it depends on where she is!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you asked Nancy if she could recommend anybody?

How about Numoon in Blackstone, MA or Beechwood on Cape cod ?

Del Marva in Maryland ( not sure if you are willing to go that far ) just had a litter last week. On her website she doesn't say if they are all sold or not. Sue and Vern are very respected on this forum.
I did call Nancy back and left her a message regarding recommendations. Haven't heard back from her yet but I know she is busy as the newest puppies just arrived yesterday!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I know you'll find just the right puppy match for your family!!

Are you making any special plans for your daughter's Christmas? To let her know a puppy is coming? I think it would be fun to give her a scrapbook so once you decide on a breeder and litter she can begin to chronicle the life of her new puppy; starting with pictures of the parents, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know you'll find just the right puppy match for your family!!

Are you making any special plans for your daughter's Christmas? To let her know a puppy is coming? I think it would be fun to give her a scrapbook so once you decide on a breeder and litter she can begin to chronicle the life of her new puppy; starting with pictures of the parents, etc.
Great suggestion! I'm going back and forth with whether or not to announce it at Christmas or not. I feel bad saying, "We're getting a puppy but it's going to be FIVE months!" LOL! I think they'll be fine...they are old enough to understand that we have to wait to get what we want and it may end up being fun for them to to have to wait too :)

I just now spoke with Julie from Nautilus and it looks promising that she may have something for us before the spring. We are planning to go meet her and her dogs after Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!

·
Banned
616 Posts
Great suggestion! I'm going back and forth with whether or not to announce it at Christmas or not. I feel bad saying, "We're getting a puppy but it's going to be FIVE months!" LOL! I think they'll be fine...they are old enough to understand that we have to wait to get what we want and it may end up being fun for them to to have to wait too :)

I just now spoke with Julie from Nautilus and it looks promising that she may have something for us before the spring. We are planning to go meet her and her dogs after Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed for us!!!
That is great news, we used one of her Am. Ch studs, but our girl is only showing one..... (otherwise I would have certainly offered) We are going to keep the puppy. I just love Nautilus dogs, I was so surprised when I met them, how smart they are. Not just pretty faces.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Make sure you see all four clearances on the parents. You need visual proof of clearances.
Do not accept an oral confirmation that the clearances are done from any breeder. Hopefully you will get that pup soon. Did you look into Goldensand, Watersedge, Valleygold, Springvale, or Sungold?

Reactions: SunGold

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Arcane's website does show she has puppies available and looks like there are alot of males. If any way you could travel there, I wouldn't rule them out as she has some beautiful dogs and is very well-respected here on the forum. Did you get a chance to talk to Heather? (Would love to see another one of her puppies grow up here on the forum :)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Arcane has gorgeous dogs!! She's in southern Ontario, not that far if you were willing to go to NY, NH or Vermont. I'd love to have one of her pups!!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Nautilus did just have a litter I believe a few days ago.

I have a Goldiva Golden, Tally, who truly fulfills my dreams.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts