Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Do you believe GRF should adopt these changes?

• I want to see GRF adopt these changes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • I do not want to see GRF adopt these changes

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I find the posts under "Choosing a Golden Retriever Breeder & Puppy" to be incredibly helpful for those new to this forum, given that us newbs typically find this forum as part of our research on what to know about finding a GR puppy.

But (yep, y'all had to know a "but" was in the offering...:D), I believe that...
  • ...this forum is harder to find than it needs to be (i.e., it is a sub-forum under "Golden Retriever Puppies & Seniors").
  • ...there should be other, similarly targeted (i.e., targeting those looking for help in buying a GR puppy) forums.
To this end, I suggest that...
  • For search engine purposes, add a top-level forum named "Buying a Golden Retriever Puppy", hopefully matching what folks would type into an Internet search engine.
  • Add sub-forums under this top-level forum to help focus questions and discussion
    • Puppy Buyers - Questions about Specific Litters
    • Puppy Buyers - Choosing a Breeder
    • Puppy Buyers - Questions about Health Certifications and the GRCA Code of Ethics
    • Puppy Buyers - Questions about Pet Insurance
  • Re-distribute existing content under "Choosing a Golden Retriever Breeder & Puppy" into the appropriate forum.
Add Note: The repetition of "puppy buyers" and similar terms is my uninformed attempt to address "Search Engine Optimization", which would result in GRF moving higher up in the list of websites presented in response to Internet searches. Others, who may be better informed on SEO, may have better suggestions for forum titles.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Counter arguments?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I, obviously, think this would be a welcome modification to GRF's layout. While it is satisfying to hear agreement, I'm much more interested in the opinions of those who don't believe these would be good modifications to GRF (i.e., why should these modifications not be adopted by GRF?).

·
Registered
437 Posts
I support this recommendation! And not to hijack this thread, but... I'm also wondering if there is any way to make the more common questions/answers easier to find. Something like a "Looking for a Golden Retriever puppy or reputable breeder? READ ME FIRST" file/thread/forum pinned to the home page and then have some of the information that is provided to posters almost daily pinned there (The GRCA code of ethics - and why it's important, how to contact your local breed club for references, how to read health clearances, what makes a breeder "reputable/responsible," how to use K9Data for research, and maybe a subsection on recommended breeders by state/region/country).

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,777 Posts
There are several "Sticky" threads in the Choosing a Breeder and Puppy Section.
The Mod Team reviews these yearly and updates them as needed.

As to changes on the Forum's platform, this would have to be decided by the Site Owners and Site Admins (Tech team) and any changes to the current platform would have to be done by them.

The Mod Team does not have access to change the Forum's platform nor do we have the authority to make any changes to it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If it was difficult to find, I would understand. I always just click on the "new" tab so I went and looked. One extra click and a small scroll will get you there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I support this recommendation! And not to hijack this thread, but... I'm also wondering if there is any way to make the more common questions/answers easier to find.
Echoing @CAROLINA MOM , the use of "sticky threads" serves the purpose of keeping threads at the top of a forum's posts, and easier to find. Having additional sub-forums might help by narrowing the scope of the threads, but the "sticky thread" mechanism seems to work well. I've also seen where folks have asked/recommended for specific posts to be made "sticky".

·
Registered
437 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying... but here's the challenge... when I open the forum it shows me a page with "Our Top Forums" and, for me at least, the Choosing a Golden Retriever Breeder & Puppy forum is not on that list. I've been on the forum a lot of years and I still have to remind myself to look for the little red link that says "Full Forum Listing" to get to the full list of subforums. For someone coming to the forum for the first time, they are going to have a hard time finding that subforum, or in knowing they need to open it to access those helpful pinned posts. That's why I'm thinking that if we had something on the home page that was clearly a link to the most critical info on finding a reputable breeder it would facilitate education and cut down on the number of people who post the same questions over and over again in the "Main discussion" or "Golden Retriever Puppies (up to 1 year)" forums. A newbie would really have to spend some time digging down into the bowels of the forum to find the information we really want them to get to first...

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,777 Posts
Echoing @CAROLINA MOM , the use of "sticky threads" serves the purpose of keeping threads at the top of a forum's posts, and easier to find. Having additional sub-forums might help by narrowing the scope of the threads, but the "sticky thread" mechanism seems to work well. I've also seen where folks have asked/recommended for specific posts to be made "sticky".

The entire Mod Team reviews the "stickies" in each section yearly-we update them as needed.

When we receive a request for info to be made into a "sticky", the entire Team reviews the info and decides whether or not to make it into a sticky.

When new info is made into a sticky, outdated info is usually "unstuck" meaning it just goes back into the current section.

If anyone wants info made into a sticky, if members will send a PM to the Mod Team, we will review the info then take a vote.

As to "additional" sub-forums, the request would have to be made to the Site Owners and Site Admin.

·
Puddles
3,827 Posts
Not that my opinions matters much but there is an existing forum for finding a quality breeder. Newbies aren't so great at taking the time to do much research and not sure an additional forum would help them.
LOL there is also a forum for new puppy owners to learn about normal golden pup behaviors but as you can see by the many puppy questions they aren't reading this either.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As to "additional" sub-forums, the request would have to be made to the Site Owners and Site Admin.
I actually DM'd the site admins about this. I received an email saying it sounded like a good idea, and suggested posting it here to get feedback from other GRF users. So....here I is! 😁

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that my opinions matters much but there is an existing forum for finding a quality breeder. Newbies aren't so great at taking the time to do much research and not sure an additional forum would help them.
LOL there is also a forum for new puppy owners to learn about normal golden pup behaviors but as you can see by the many puppy questions they aren't reading this either.
True. I've participated on a few other forums, and the general modus operandi is "drive by informational requests". It's much easier to simply post a question than to research prior questions/responses. Of course, this is mostly apparent to those who answer those questions, over-and-over-and-over...

I doubt that changing the forums topic structure will change people's behavior. I'm most hoping that it will (a) help guide them to a specific area a bit quicker/easier, and (b) will provide more focus to stickies and responses from regulars. If it helps encourage newbs to hang around and read a bit, that's a bonus. 😁

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think you guys are conceptualizing this differently from me. I'm not so much looking for a new "Forum" as I am some sort of prominent link (Like a big square "button" that says "Looking for a reputable breeder? Read me first!") which would take users to a set of files or posts that contain the basic information the newbie puppy buyer should read. It would be a source of static information, not a place for conversations or question/answer... we can always have something in those files with links to the appropriate forums for questions. I'm just looking for a prominent "in your face" place to house the most helpful information for new users and those new to the breed or looking for a breeder...

·
Registered
437 Posts
... Or here's another thought which might be the easiest... Can we somehow "pin" the "Finding a Golden Retriever breeder or puppy" subforum to the top of the list on the home page??

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not so much looking for a new "Forum" as I am some sort of prominent link (Like a big square "button" that says "Looking for a reputable breeder? Read me first!") which would take users to a set of files or posts that contain the basic information the newbie puppy buyer should read. It would be a source of static information, not a place for conversations or question/answer...
Understood. But, that approach runs counter to the intent of a forum. Yes, there's a lot of good content from prior posts/questions. But, the intent is to drive interactions on the forum. There's already a site with "the basic information the newbie puppy buyer should read". Static site, lots of good information, no interactions required.

... Or here's another thought which might be the easiest... Can we somehow "pin" the "Finding a Golden Retriever breeder or puppy" subforum to the top of the list on the home page??
Essentially, that's what I'm suggesting, but in a manner that I believe aligns to GRF's business objectives (i.e., drive traffic volume). But, I also think that "buying a puppy" is about more than "finding a breeder". Ergo, sub-forums addressing more specific topics related to "buying a puppy".

While I'd like to see my recommendations adopted (I think they'd be helpful), this is not a make-or-break for me. It's simply based on my experience as a newb to GRF, when I was looking for information.

·
Puddles
3,827 Posts
Would modifying the name of the existing forum give you the same results? I've always tried to tell people that the goal is to search for a reputable breeder not a puppy. Semantics? Include Puppy Search in the title?
Some newer post seem to think the GRF is a group of breeders with available pups listings... sort of a want adds situation.
A hot button to get puppy inquires might get them there faster but pretty sure these people are looking for a list of people to contact and would still make a general inquiry vs reading a "how to" on what to look for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts