Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First the question...How much are you all paying for top trainer seminars?

Now the disappointment. I just got the flyer for next years (June) Bridget Carlson seminar. They doubled the price from $175 (which I had to save all my mad money in order to go) to $350 which I just can't justify, especially now with all the medical bills :(.

I'm interested to see if I have just been spoiled not paying more than $175 for any of the seminars I've been to, because of our location, in which case, I'll stop my pity party, or if this is too high.

·
Kate
21,679 Posts
Is that 1 day or 2?

If it's 2 days, I'd say you've been spoiled.

If it's 1 day, I'm stunned. o_O

I think Bridget is coming to Lansing, MI next spring? I think it's $150 for 1 day, and $200 for two days, with two day people getting preference. <- The second day (problem solving day) is a Sunday so I'm not going to bother. >.<

And Bridget was cheap compared to what Celeste Mead charged at the same place. o_O

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a two day. I'd try to go if it were $200, but I'd have to start stashing money now, but $350 is too much.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
How many days? $350 is definitely steep for two days, but not too high for three.

For a two day seminar I generally pay between $175 and $250

Reactions: DNL2448

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
The only way I could justify spending that much for two days is if it were extremely limited in how many people allowed to attend, so I knew I would get more individual attention from the instructor. That is happening right now in my area - someone is bringing down a presenter she had before, but instead of having it open to the 20 working spots she had previously, this time it will only be open to 10 people that she hand picks, who have been to the persons seminar before so we don't have to repeat the same basic info we've heard before. Because fewer people will be splitting the cost to get her down, we will be paying a lot more, but in that case will be totally worth the expense.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Laura,

I have signed up for 2 in my area so far - both 2 day working spots in February.

Diane Bauman (Heeling, Retrieves & Go Outs) for $200
Denise Fenzi (Drives & Motivation for Obedience) for $250

The Diane Bauman one is a benefit for Border Collie Rescue, while the Denise Fenzi is a standard seminar.

I would love to go to a Bridget Carlson seminar, but probably would not spend that much money for a 2 day seminar. A 3 day or more seminar, I would consider spending that much ($100 - 125 / day seems the going rate around here)

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I just have to buy mine a supper occasionally..ROFL.. Oh and a drink now and then.

Reactions: Sunrise and DNL2448

·
Registered
8,164 Posts

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I did take her to Red Lobster for my OTCH and told her to get anything she ever dreamed of...LOL! OUCH!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It's okay, I'm currently sitting on my couch in my pajamas still. :p:

Reactions: Sunrise

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
It's okay, I'm currently sitting on my couch in my pajamas still. :p:
Why? Is school out for the Holiday already? Kids up here lost so much time already due to ALfred, they probably have no holidays!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Why? Is school out for the Holiday already? Kids up here lost so much time already due to ALfred, they probably have no holidays!
She is being mean to me... and rubbing in the fact she does not have to work all week...

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
we are very serious about our holidays down here! We ALWAYS have a full week off for Thanksgiving, even the year the schools were closed for 5 weeks for Hurrican Rita.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I did take her to Red Lobster for my OTCH and told her to get anything she ever dreamed of...LOL! OUCH!
LOL!! I am picturing "Her" with 2 kinds of lobster tails, and a fancy drink, oh and a HUGE smile on her face!!

Reactions: Titan1

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I think that price is a bit steep, ecspecially for 2 days!! I have been to two of her seminars so far that were $200 or less for 2 days. It could be an expensive venue to rent though, and that may be part of the cost. While I enjoy seminars, I have found that I get much more out of a private lesson! Why don't you try to set up a private with her instead? The thing I hate about seminars is the wide range of levels that people are working at, and that you may get very little time on the floor if your dog is past the level the majority are at, ecspecially if the dog is already trained on all the methods ect they are covering.

I say set up a private!! It will be money well spent!!

Now agility seminars $$$$$$!!!!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that price is a bit steep, ecspecially for 2 days!! I have been to two of her seminars so far that were $200 or less for 2 days. It could be an expensive venue to rent though, and that may be part of the cost. While I enjoy seminars, I have found that I get much more out of a private lesson! Why don't you try to set up a private with her instead? The thing I hate about seminars is the wide range of levels that people are working at, and that you may get very little time on the floor if your dog is past the level the majority are at, ecspecially if the dog is already trained on all the methods ect they are covering.

I say set up a private!! It will be money well spent!!

Now agility seminars $$$$$$!!!!
The facility giving the seminar owns the building and the past two years, their price has been $175. Then this year (2012) blam-o $350. I took a private lesson with her last year and it was $45, well worth the price! I haven't heard if she is offering them again in June.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I would conatact the person in charge ASAP about the lesson, sometimes they don't let the word out, but either way I am sure it will fill up many months before the seminar. I missed out on the ones they had here, and would have been far better off with a private.

I feel very fortunate though, as I have an AWESOME instructor that I take privates from regularily:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know everything has gone up in price:( But who can afford them anymore? I know I can't. I used to attend alot of agility seminars that have now gone thru the roof with cost.

Oh I remember when those 4 hour seminars that were like 50 bucks. Soooo worth it. Now it costs that much + just to enter a trial.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts