Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both Buddy and Sam (2 males) eat my yard. They both are well fed (IAMS Lamb and Rice) twice a day. Then, occasionally. in the middle of the night somebody pukes. :yuck:

I have 2 acres for them to run and play in, and they do, but what's with these two "sod busters"? Help

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Hey...Murphy does that! (he is 13 wks) Well he doesn't really eat it he just likes to rip it out....my yard is on the small side so he should finish killing my yard before your two finish your two acres. Really I don't know why he does it...just to bug me?

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
Eleanor (7 months) does that as well- She rips out chucks of grass with the dirt attached and eates it. My vet says that dirt eating is fairly common among some kinds of dogs and sometimes they grow out of it and sometimes they don't. They think it is a left over evolutionary trait to get more minerals- but dogs still do it even if they are well fed.

The biggest risk for dogs who are dirt eaters are picking up parasites from the dirt and ingesting lawn chemicals. We do not put anything on our lawn and our vet uses a heartworm medicine oh Eleanor that is also a broad spectrum worm because she does eat the dirt.

Eleanor knows she is not supposed to do this because she has become very stealth about it and does this dart and grab when we are on our walks.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,687 Posts
My dogs will eat grass when they are not getting enough greens in their diet - or at least when I increase the greens, they decrease the amount of grass getting yanked out and eaten :)

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Gilmour has come in with a wad of grass/dirt the size of a football before. And he makes a hell of a mess of the living room when he does it.

Now days, it's leaves. My poor vacuum LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Dog grazes just like a cow, the thing that concerns me is that i live in Boston (So i spend a good portion of our walks pulling street trash out her mouth)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts