Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we currently have AT&T Uverse, and the idiots keep taking channels away from us, no to mention their customer service is horrible. We are looking into satellite, but we are trying to figure out whether to go with Dish or DirecTV. We live in NW Arkansas, so we do get bad weather (rain, tornadoes, snow, wind, etc.) and based off of your guys' experience, how do the two stand up in these kinds of conditions? I would like to know of my tornado warning BEFORE the tornado hits ;)

Cox is out of the question. We need our NHL channels! Stupid UVerse is dropping NHL network, hence our decision to drop them.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I love my Directtv-have never had an issue with them. I will lose some reception in very bad weather-high wind and rain-but that happens very rarely.

I also like the channel selection.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We love our DirecTV! We just switched from cable TV to DirecTV almost 2 months ago and we haven't had a single problem, and we've had some pretty rainy and windy weather since we got it. If you do ever lose signal during a storm (which usually doesn't last long at all), you can still access your DVR recordings and watch those while the signal is out. I'm still blown away by how much better the picture and sound quality are than our cable was and the channel selection is much bigger and better. Another bonus to DirecTV is that their DVR has a much larger storage capacity compared to cable DVR boxes, which is a major plus for us since we do a lot of DVRing. When we signed up, we got all of the premium movie channels and NFL Sunday Ticket free for a year, and we also got the Cinema Connect kit for free, which connects all of your TVs to the internet through your existing internet connection so you can download movies and TV shows to your DVR. I just wish we had switched to DirecTV a long time ago!

We've never had Dish Network, but we did check them out before we went with DirecTV and they don't offer nearly as much as DirecTV does. They seemed kind of boring with not nearly as many features. Definitely go with DirecTV. You won't regret it! Their customer service is awesome, too! If you do sign up for DirecTV, they have a referral bonus. I can send you our account # and we'll both get $10 off our bills each month for a year. :bowl:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have read a little into both and I am a bit more impressed with DirecTV, they just seem more "current." One other question I have is that we have 3 TVs, all HD. Currently with ATT we have one HD DVR which houses all of the recordings from each tv, and we can access them on any tv at any time. We can watch 2 tvs at once while recording one show in HD, and watch 1 tv while recording 2 or more shows. The receivers are wireless, which is nice. If my research is correct, Dish receivers arent wireless, if you want your recordings to be accessible in more than one room. With DirecTV, can you access the recordings in any room at any time? Or only the recordings on that specific DVR?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I have read a little into both and I am a bit more impressed with DirecTV, they just seem more "current." One other question I have is that we have 3 TVs, all HD. Currently with ATT we have one HD DVR which houses all of the recordings from each tv, and we can access them on any tv at any time. We can watch 2 tvs at once while recording one show in HD, and watch 1 tv while recording 2 or more shows. The receivers are wireless, which is nice. If my research is correct, Dish receivers arent wireless, if you want your recordings to be accessible in more than one room. With DirecTV, can you access the recordings in any room at any time? Or only the recordings on that specific DVR?
With DirecTV, they have whole house DVR service. You'll get one box that is an HD DVR receiver, which will be hooked up to your "main" TV. (Ours is in our living room.) Your other TVs will just have regular HD receivers and they will all be able to access the DVR. You can even record 2 shows at the same time. We can watch our DVR recordings and schedule recordings from all 4 of our TVs. Say you set something to record from your living room TV. You'll then be able to watch that recording on any TV in the house. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome that is exactly what we are looking for. Are they connected wirelessly or is there a cable running to each box? Also, while recording on any receiver, can you watch live tv?

Youre my new CSR :) haha

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
There is a cable running to each box, but we can't even see ours since the tech set it up so neatly! It's just one cable on each box. If you are only recording one show or movie at a time, you can watch any other channel, but if you're recording 2 different channels at the same time, you're stuck watching one of those two channels until one of the recordings is done. The picture and sound quality alone are totally worth it and their prices are much cheaper than most cable companies! You get a lot more for your money with DirecTV. We absolutely love their cinema feature! You can find just about any movie or TV show you can think of on there and they have a TON of sports channels!

Another really cool feature is that you can schedule your DVR recordings remotely from your smart phone. We have the DirecTV app on our phones and our iPad so we can schedule recordings from anywhere! :bowl:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hrmph.. so this cable connects to each tv in each room? Eek! I would think by now they would have them wireless! We have one tv in the living room and two TVs in either bedroom. Where did the tech hide the cable?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
My parents have DirecTV up at the lake and it almost never loses a signal except when there's a really bad storm or extremely heavy snow.

We have Dish Network and we lose our signal ALL the time! Even in light rain we lose it.

DirecTV has better channel selections, in my opinion, than Dish Network.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
We have dish. Not, too bad once they got it rewired because some of the old wire was corroded or something. We have had it for years, and talking of the phone to the service people is a pain, but the actual repair people they send are pretty good=nice. We don't have HD because we don't have hdtv s I don't think they were common when we first got it. We have a DVR that will play on two of the four TVs. The other two only get the service, not the recording. Don't know if that has changed. However, only the main TV and one of the others not connected to the DVR have cables to them. The other two are wireless. My daughter just got Direct because they got a deal where they got $300 off a new flat screen (HHGregg store) in addition to all the other stuff like a few months free HBO, installation etc. It used to go out all the time when it rained, but since the last repairman a year ago it does it very infrequently. It did take 3 different repairment, on 3 separate visits within one month to get it solved, however.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We have Direct TV and it is fabulous! There are several other threads here on the forum about Direct vs. Dish (you can probably search and find them but I don't know the title of the threads) and most of them look like a big infomercial about Direct TV...the customer service is great! It's reliable and they don't have big contract disputes with major networks during big sports event playoffs (just ask some Dish customers about that a few years ago)...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts