Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
the party's crashing us
4,245 Posts
Do you mean gloves in Utility? Or are you talking about blinds in field work?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I don't have the competition experience of others (yet!).

As put above, it depends on your context, goals, and dog's current behaviors.

Targets can work well (to prevent an incorrect retrieve which would be reinforcing to the dog). But recently I've just been starting with dog in front of me sitting (not in a formal "Front" position). Cue the dog to wait. Toss an object straight out to your right. one off to the left. Cue a retrieve to one and then the other. Vary which one you send the dog to. After a number of reps, repeat with the dog in Heel. Each session work towards the objects being closer together or adding in another. In 2-3 sesisons we were throwing out 4 items and had over 90% correct responses. The errors did not involve wrong item retrieval but rolling on the item....something I need to work on!

Have fun,

·
Registered
986 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

I am interested in both types. I will probably start with bumpers, then attempt utility. Scent discrimination is another aspect of retrieve that I am very much interested in.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'll leave running blinds for the experts.

But for glove work in utility, a fun game you can start with is paper plate retrieves. Put out a paper plate with a treat on it, mark the plate, and send the dog to get the treat off the plate.

Once the dog understands that, you can put three plates out, but only put a treat on the plate you will be sending to.

This game teaches the dog how to mark, and the great thing is that the dog doesn't have to already have a formal retrieve to be successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts