Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know what to do with my dog’s unusual digging. When, playing fetch in the grass or beach, he will lay the object on the ground to shake, go potty, etc. when he goes to pick it back up, he doesn’t like getting grass or sand in his mouth, so he tries to dig around it, thinking he will be able to pick it up without getting sand in his mouth. Of course, it doesn’t work. I don’t know East to do to get him to quit. HELP!

·
Registered
334 Posts
The training procedure to correct that behavior is called “force fetch”.
You’ll have to look it up yourself. The general audience here has far too delicate and easily triggered so I would rather not go into detail.

·
Puddles
3,971 Posts
Put a leash on the dog so you can reel him in. Basically you need to actually teach the retrieve at home. Hard to compete with all the interesting surroundings when you are learning. So start at home and remember that everytime you allow the dog to NOT bring it back you are telling the dog he doesn't have to listen to you. Never expect a behavior you haven't taught yet. He doesn't read minds, teach him the behavior you want before you expect him to some how know what you are expecting.
When you play cards, don't you know the rules of the game before you start?? Same logic. Teach the process 1st ... there are lots of really good videos on teaching retrieves. I like Pat Nolan's dixie cup drills... we start out pups at 8 weeks and do this in the kitchen. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,220 Posts
The training procedure to correct that behavior is called “force fetch”.
You’ll have to look it up yourself. The general audience here has far too delicate and easily triggered so I would rather not go into detail.
I looked it up, it's not so much the "General membership is too delicate or easily triggered" it's more that a large percentage of the members are pet owners and are looking for a different way or method of training.

You have a different method for training your Field Goldens, nothing wrong with that, whatever works best for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts