Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas?

My 3.5 year old girl, not spayed, has suddenly taken to digging at the base of my two gates to escape. She has escaped twice. She gets pretty good exercise with me (and her twin brother). I've had plenty of normal digging problems, but within the last few weeks or so, she's been doing it to escape, and she been making her paws bloody in the process. That part makes me think something else is wrong. Would her not being fixed cause this?

Any help would be appreciated, as I hope to not have to leave her inside all the time when I'm not home. (Although they both have always seemed to prefer being inside).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Escape Artist

Any ideas?

My 3.5 year old girl, not spayed, has suddenly taken to digging at the base of my two gates to escape. She has escaped twice. She gets pretty good exercise with me (and her twin brother). I've had plenty of normal digging problems, but within the last few weeks or so, she's been doing it to escape, and she been making her paws bloody in the process. That part makes me think something else is wrong. Would her not being fixed cause this?

Any help would be appreciated, as I hope to not have to leave her inside all the time when I'm not home. (Although they both have always seemed to prefer being inside).
Are you leaving both dogs alone in the yard while you work? I would not trust them unattended in the yard. They can get into all kinds of trouble (to include escaping the yard). Or, another dog could possibly get to them (is she in season?). Or, they could be stolen.... Is it possible for them to be in the house in a controlled aread? Crated for brief periods? From what I know of Goldens, they want to be indoors with their people. I guess I need to know more about why she is in the yard and for how long of a period and how often.
If you have an intact male (even though related) you are going to get some unwanted puppies. Please consider spay and neuter for your dogs!
Welcome to the Forum! I hope we see more pictures of your lovely dogs. What are their names?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They've been staying outside when I'm at work since they were one. We're talking ten hour days. Only the last couple weeks has she tried to get out. Today when she got out, I was gone 52 minutes. He's fixed, so no worries there. I just don't want to have to keep them inside for those long days.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
They've been staying outside when I'm at work since they were one. We're talking ten hour days. Only the last couple weeks has she tried to get out. Today when she got out, I was gone 52 minutes. He's fixed, so no worries there. I just don't want to have to keep them inside for those long days.
10 hour days is a long time for any dog to be left alone outside. I think she is getting bored just being in your yard alone. How much exercise is she getting? Is she being walked outside of the yard?

One more thought.... Have you thought about hiring a professional pet sitter or dog walker to take your dogs for a walk while you are gone. Then you could leave the dogs inside during the time you work.

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts