Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Koda has been digging at the carpet a couple times a night during the middle of the night. She will wake up, sit up and then start digging...we try to get her attention but she doesn't hear us and keeps going. Then she stops and lays down. We have a bed on both sides of us for her to lay on. I figured she was trying to make a bed..? Is that what it is? Or is there something else I should worry about.

I planned to put a blanket in the corner she has been sleeping in hoping she will sleep better then...?

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Koda has been digging at the carpet a couple times a night during the middle of the night. She will wake up, sit up and then start digging...we try to get her attention but she doesn't hear us and keeps going. Then she stops and lays down. We have a bed on both sides of us for her to lay on. I figured she was trying to make a bed..? Is that what it is? Or is there something else I should worry about.

I planned to put a blanket in the corner she has been sleeping in hoping she will sleep better then...?
LOL! Ok, Wyatt has started doing this every evening after dinner while we settle down to watch a little tv. He chews on his antler for awhile then walks around to my feet and starts digging on the rug. Same spot every night. MY Cody used to do this on the tile:confused: I just chalk it up to being cranky and tired and he is just trying to settle himself down. Once I stop him he lays down and does that huge golden sigh and falls asleep:D

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Add this to the list of the many reasons many of us prefer to use crates at night. No need for you non-crate people to pile on.
My dog digs at the blankets in his crate. :) Actually, all my dogs have dug at their bedding. Dig, circle, dig, circle, dig, circle, collapse.

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Darby does that too especially on the astroturf on the screened porch. I think she is nesting as sugested. However, in your case, it's payback for trying to get Koda in from outside.:D:D:D

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank does that all the time, like mentioned upthread, it's like "fluffing the pillows".

·
Registered
167 Posts
My pups do this too in even in their kennels with no bedding. Bailey will even go take the blanket out of her kennel into the middle of the floor and then do it too. Her fav spot in the rug by the door though. Not sure if there is a way to stop it if distraction isnt working?

·
Registered
640 Posts
My pup does this too, in the crate, and there is nothing in it. He "nests" the plastic bottom. It's a little annoying... I was hoping it was something they grow out of when they mature and get a little more lazy?

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She isn't ruining the carpet at all. I am not concerned for my carpet, just my sleep. I am going to put a blanket down where she usually sleeps and hope it isn't as disturbing.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Mine do this too just as they settle for the night. Feel it is nesting and finding a comfortable place. They also did it in their crates and honestly was so loud it would wake us. At least now it is usually on their dog beds at the foot of our bed, so silent.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finn does the same thing until he finally settles down for the night. In the morning around 5 am he begins the "licking" routine. It is like living with a toddler!

·
Registered
513 Posts
She isn't ruining the carpet at all. I am not concerned for my carpet, just my sleep. I am going to put a blanket down where she usually sleeps and hope it isn't as disturbing.
I would give her own blanket as well. Then she may do what my Bonnie does - she carries her blanket/bedding around then gets comfy and settles down somewhere with it - no damage, no bother. :) It's quite useful as well, because you can tell her to go to her bed wherever you are and she will probably be happy to stay there, whether it is in the car or in another place/house.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We put her bed in the corner last night and that worked much better. I didn't hear her digging at the bed if she did. She did come out of her little corner at one point and dig the carpet next to my bed but I called her over to me, gave her some pets and told her to lay down and she did like a good girl! We will keep her bed in the corner now where she has been sleeping and hopefully this will solve the problem, thanks so much for all of your advice! :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yeah but which would you rather see ruined? Blankets in a crate or your carpet?
Well, the reason I got the dog was to add some mayhem to my life. It's just a matter of what, when, and how expensive.

And, besides, my dog is in a crate! Actually, his double-great-dane "pet home" arrived, so it's more like an xpen with a lid. So far, he likes it, he just doesn't like it as much with the door closed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Harvey does the carpet scratching thing too, as well as laying on his side and doing it to the side of my bed or couch - the sounds is like nails on a chalkboard to me! I've tried for months to get him to stop but he just won't.

He seems to do it on the beach too, same movements until he has a triangular hole in the ground which he just lays in for as long as I'll leave him to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My boy likes to scratch at the floor when he's tired and wants to lie down. Unfortunately we just moved into a new house with hardwood floors in almost every room. Several times we've heard the scratching and ran to stop him. Even if we catch him after only a few digs with his paw, the damage is already done. It does seem to be some sort of ancient instinct. It is very hard to stop him when he's doing it. It's like a compulsion that he can't stop. We pretty much have to yell at him and grab him to get him to stop. Is there any way to break this habit / instinct?!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts