Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A while back I had a similar post cuz Koda would dig at the carpet in the middle of the night - we figured it was just nesting. No big deal, she actually randomly stopped doing it.

The last month or so she has picked up this digging habit again but not just at night. She does it in the middle of the night still but she also does it when she is settling down for the night with us in the living room. She will do it numerous spots sometimes. And you can't snap her out of doing it unless you actually go up to her. Talking to her does nothing.

The only concerning part is it is seems she is doing it during the day while we are gone at work. There are two spots in the living room where there is carpeting that she is actually kind of ruining it.

Is this anxiety related? Or I am reading too much into this. Is there anything I need to be concerned about or go to the vet for?

Just trying to get some ideas here so I can approach this the right way.

Thanks!!!

·
Murphees Mom
505 Posts
Does she do this where she wants to lay down at or is it in random spots. My one dog does this just before he lays down. I put down a couple of dog beds at he will dig at the bed sometimes for it seems like a couple of minutes before he finds his spot. Maybe try laying down and old blanket to see if she'll dig at that instead.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She will usually lay down in that spot but the digging during the day is in a spot that she normally doesn't lay in so that is the one I am unsure about...

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
This is a long shot but could it maybe have something to do with you being preggers? How far along are you now? I never had a dog when I was preggers but just wondering if she's nesting because of your hormones.

BTW- how are you feeling?

·
Murphees Mom
505 Posts
Sometimes they just find that one spot, now it has her sent on it from digging at it, maybe try to shampoo or deodorize that spot, Natures Miracle might help.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oh my gosh I had a similar experience with my first golden girl but I am afraid to tell you what happened. One day she was in another room and dug right through the carpet. Lo and behold I had to put an area rug over it. What I believe now is that she had pent up energy and digging gave her that release outlet.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 24.5 weeks along - starting to get tired out for sure! That could be what is causing it. hmm..okay. i will try to get more energy out tonight and see if that helps!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Our first dog did that his entire life. He actually "dug" a spot in one of my antique orientals. :doh: It was pretty worn already so it just added to its charm. I had it patched with burlap, layered it over some seagrass and figured it was right in style!

Harry has tried a couple of times on two different rugs (always in the same spot on both). I sprayed the spots with bitter apple. That and a "no" when he starts to nest seems to have stopped the behavior so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts