Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old Golden Retriever. For last two years I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with him. After each feeding (3 times a day), he seems to be not feeling well. He paces, stands and makes noise with his mouth, swallowing constantly, he belches, gets gassy, and his stomach gets so noisy that I can hear him across a room. He also lost weight and has problem to gain it back. His stool starts normal, but ends soft. I tried different brands of over the counter enzymes and probiotics, but they didn't seem to be helping. His stomach was even noisier and the belching was also worse. The last thing he was put on was Pancreatic enzymes, which seemed to be making him burp up a liquid which then got into his air passages and he had reverse sneezing episodes. He had done x-rays of esophagus and stomach, abdominal ultrasound, fecal exam, stool culture, complete blood count, blood chemistry. Every test was negative. Only thing I remember the vet mentioned after the x-rays that my dog's stomach looked flacid. There is a suspicion that he has digestive motility problem or a defect in his stomach. The next suggested test is barium x-ray. I would prefer not to do the barium and I was wondering if anybody run across problem like my dog has. Otherwise my dog acts normal, he has good appetite, energy, he is playful, it is only after the feedings that he doesn't feel well. One more info, he was fed dry food his whole life, I am in the process of switching him to raw. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Kate
21,489 Posts
Has he been doing this since switching to raw? Or have you decided to switch him to raw because of his problem?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Did the vet mention megaesophagus?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to switch him to raw because of it. He is not completely switched to raw yet.
As I mentioned, he had done x-rays and they did not show megaesophagus, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to switch between different brands of dry food and also different proteins and carbs and so far no result. If it was allergy the complete switch to raw should clear that, I think.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Since I'm in the middle of the same quest but with slightly different symptoms, I would recommend the barium x-ray. I was positive that Finn had megaesophagus; he had every single symptom, but the barium x-ray showed that the food is getting into his stomach, and fairly rapidly at that. So, we at least eliminated ME as the cause, leading us to different potential solutions. Has your vet ruled out IBD or IBS (Irritable Bowel Disease or Syndrome)? Good luck in your search....it is very frustrating!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, frustrating is the right word. Based on the tests he had done so far the IBS and IBD were ruled out. He was also taking Tylosin for 3 weeks, even though none of the tests indicated that he had bacterial overgrowth.

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
Is he a rapid eater? My Millie literally inhaled her food, she would vomit right after or shortly after eating. I got the Brakefast dish and it help out. You can try spreading his food out on a cookie sheet or putting the kibble in a muffin pan so he has to eat it slowly. Before I purchased the Brakefast dish I would put a coffee mug in her dish so she would have to eat around it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He is very fast eater. I tried different dishes and also put obstacles in the dishes. It slowed him down a little bit, but still didn't make a difference in his digestion. I don't know if it is obvious from my first post, but he doesn't vomit at all. Also, I feed him from a raised dish and I grind his food in a food processor.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I thought raised dishes were a no-no?

If he is a fast eater, he may be gulping too much air in with the food, which could cause distress after eating. It couldn't hurt to try to slow him down for meals and see what happens. We did a trial of an 1/8th cup every ten minutes for my son's dog. It really helped.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the raised dishes it is not clear if it is o.k. to use them or not. I read that some "experts" were suggesting that they might cause bloat, but supposedly that study is outdated and it is no more truth. I feed him 3x a day, but I didn't try more than that, I will give it a try.
Thank you everybody for posting the info to my post, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If everything else has been ruled out, have you considered allergery testing? Ruby had similiar symptoms along with a multitude of other issues and I finally had her tested last year. After, getting the results, I did switch to a limited ingrediant kibble for morning and then she gets raw in the evening. The problem with just switching to raw is your pup may have a protein allergy. Ruby had numerous food and environmental allergies and once I did switch her food, her digestive problems resolved. Good luck with everything. It is an extremely frustrating thing to have to deal with.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, a raised dish is more likely to contribute to bloat, there are articles to support this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vicky, thank you for bringing the allergies to my attention. At some point there was a suspicion that it might be a food allergy, but then it was somehow dismissed. I should get back on it. What I omit to mention that Cody (my dog) also had red fur between his toes, around his lower lip and also a tear stain under his eye. That improved now a little bit, but it is not completely gone. I do not know much about testing for allergies, could you please tell me briefly what needs to be done?
Sally, here is an interesting article about bloat and raised dishes. Purdue Bloat Study | GREATDANELADY.COM
I read a lot about the raised dishes and bloat and if anything it is very confusing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wouldn't fret about a barium scan. I sure hope they can get him more comfortable whatever it is. You may want to feed him out of one of those gadgets (can't think of the name) where they have to work to get the food out. Or else go to 4-6 smaller meals and see if less at a time is something he can more readily handle. Good luck.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would have a barium scan done on him. Before going thru anymore food changes because if he has something internal going on doing all kinds of food changes isnt going to do anything to fix the problem. to me it does sound more like something going on internal then a food issue. And you might ask your vet for a referral to a vet college, they have alot more resources at their hands.

As far as the raised food bowls, you can find just as many articles against the raised bowls as you can for the raised bowls. When speaking to my vet after my dog bloated and had to have surgery, he said he sees most dogs have bloat from stress and inhaling air into the stomach so it is the eating fast. Most of the great dane people I know feed their dogs from raised bowls and never have bloat issues. So I wouldnt worry about the bowl issue right now either.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Katarina,

I would have the barium study done before testing for the allergies. If the test comes back negative, then go ahead with the allergy testing. I had the food allergy done first. It is a simple blood test by the vet. I knew if anything came back positive on the food, I could control Ruby's diet. When I got those results back, I adjusted her diet and within days of doing that her gut normalized. I then had the environmental testing done because Ruby not only suffered from digestive, but the dog is biting, scratching and attacking herself. I won't give a blow by blow of what she is allergic to, but let's just say she should be in a bubble. A few months after I got all of these results and starting her on allergy shots, I had her thyroid tested and she tested positive for autoimmune thyroiditis If you do a search this disorder can be the cause of digestive problems alongwith, allergies and a slew of other problems. Please let us know how things go.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vicky, thank you for the info. If we find out what is wrong with Cody I will for sure post it here. I want it to be helpful if someone runs in to same problem. So far it is a mystery for everybody.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi everybody, I thought I will give you an update. I had barium x-rays done on Cody and the test revealed that his stomach is not emptying properly and his intestines are not working properly either. The vet mentioned a specific part of the intestines, I think he said duodendum. In order to pinpoint what is wrong with Cody they would need to do either a biopsy of stomach and intestines or endoscopy. I have a lot of thinking and decision making to do. I am crushed :-(.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts