Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about adding a digestive aid to Riley's diet, especially during the transition to his new food (which seems to be working, so far! ~knock on wood~)

I think I remember reading here that some of you use these products on a regular basis, right? What brand(s) do you use?

I was looking at this one. I use their Pancreas Support for Gunner and love it, so it seems like they make a good product. What do you think of this?
http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/details.php?prodId=197&category=46

Also, I read somewhere - don't ask me where, because I don't remember now - that supplementing the pancreatic enzymes with a dog who doesn't need it can be dangerous. Supposedly supplementing can trick the pancreas so that it stops producing the enzymes on its own. Have you ever heard that, or is it just another myth?
I know... me and all my questions, right...? :uhoh:

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
That's what I use... the dogzymes digestive enhancer. Pointgold turned me on to it, and it's a great product. Both enzymes and probiotics with a long and stable shelf life. Many believe that gut health is the basis of overall health, so I think it's cheap insurance. I've been using it for over a year.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've never used an enzyme or probiotic supplement; but I do give both my dogs a heaping spoonful of plain low-fat organic yogurt (with live active cultures) each morning with breakfast. It seems to help when I rotate among the kibbles; plus I believe it's helpful in promoting good gut flora.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I use nupro (enzymes), but mainly cause I get it for really cheap. If I was purchasing I would prob look at dogzymes.

·
16,000 Posts
I do give yogurt as a treat. You cannot feed enough yogurt to get the benefits of a good probiotic supplement. I do use the Nature's Farmacy product, I feel it the best on the market. It also does not need refrigeration - meaning it is also an extremely stable product. I am a huge advocate of this particular supplement.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I agree with PG. I also like Forti-Flora, but it is expensive, even when you buy in bulk online. Bogey is getting switched over to Dogzymes full-time as soon as the current box of Forti-Flora runs out. I swear by digestive enhancers. Bogey's problems are so much more infrequent since he's been on them, and he seems to like the taste - very palatable.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to order another tub of the Pancreas Support for Gunner anyway, so I went ahead and ordered the Enhancer for Riley while I was at it.

I just noticed that the California Natural doesn't have any pre or probiotics. The other foods we've had him on do. So far, I think the CN is working real well, so I want to stick with it, but it seems like supplementing might be a good idea.
Thanks guys!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I had to order another tub of the Pancreas Support for Gunner anyway, so I went ahead and ordered the Enhancer for Riley while I was at it.

I just noticed that the California Natural doesn't have any pre or probiotics. The other foods we've had him on do. So far, I think the CN is working real well, so I want to stick with it, but it seems like supplementing might be a good idea.
Thanks guys!

Even when the food has it added, it's not enough to be considered therapeutic. Also, the spray on stuff usually degrades when exposed to air so what value there is there is questionable.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even when the food has it added, it's not enough to be considered therapeutic. Also, the spray on stuff usually degrades when exposed to air so what value there is there is questionable.

Ah, that's good to know. I won't stop the supplement then, if we ever get to the point of rotating foods again and go to one that has it. (Right now, I'm not even thinking about a food change, but it's good to know for later on.)

If this stuff is half as good as their Pancreas Support, I'll be thrilled. I can't say enough about that, and what it's done for Gunner. It's literally been a lifesaver for him.

·
Oldie Goldie
79 Posts
I use Great Life Enzymes Pro, I like it because it has Spirulina and Colostrum in it.

Spirulina- a blue-green algae, is actually a complete protein. It is an excellent source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and arachidonic acid, two important essential fatty acids. Spirulina also provides amino acids, RNA-DNA, chlorophyll, chelated minerals, enzymes and trace minerals. This supper food is one of few plant sources of vitamin B12. It detoxifies, supports the immune system and aids mineral assimilation.

Colostrum- is the first milk provided to newborns. It is nature’s perfect balance of antibodies, and growth factors which protect against diseases and strengthen the immune system. Colostrum provides proteins, vitamins and minerals in combinations that remove toxins, while offering support to muscle, bone, nerve tissue, and cartilage health.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We tried the dogzyme digestive enhancer since so many here love it, and it fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, clued us into the fact that Brady is allergic to eggs! So we switched to Proviable which has both pre and probiotics, and he has done well on that. Our vet does recommend using it daily to promote good gut flora. They may not technically "need" it every day, but the theory is to use it daily to keep the levels of good bacteria up so that they will be there to do their job when the dogs experience some stressful event.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I started using Nature's Farmacy about 2 months ago, and I've already seen some huge differences. Milly hasn't farted once since being on it, and her stools are much more regular. I've also noticed a difference in her coat. She seems to love the taste, and now licks her bowl clean after feedings. No weird stomach issues *knock on wood* since being on it either - she used to have some problems every now and then.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We tried the dogzyme digestive enhancer since so many here love it, and it fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, clued us into the fact that Brady is allergic to eggs! So we switched to Proviable which has both pre and probiotics, and he has done well on that. Our vet does recommend using it daily to promote good gut flora. They may not technically "need" it every day, but the theory is to use it daily to keep the levels of good bacteria up so that they will be there to do their job when the dogs experience some stressful event.
Thanks for the heads-up -- I wouldn't have thought of that. I don't think Riley has a problem with eggs, but I'm not really sure. He gets a little bite here and there when we're eating them, but that's been it. It's never seemed to bother him, but I'll keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started using Nature's Farmacy about 2 months ago, and I've already seen some huge differences. Milly hasn't farted once since being on it, and her stools are much more regular.
LOL - that's good to know. Riley has been a little gassy this week, but he usually is during a food transition, so I hadn't thought much of it. His stools are great and we're taking it real slow, but boy, he can clear the room every now and then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts