Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Our golden girl, Harley, just turned 6 months and weighs 35 lbs.

We had her on Whole Hearted by Petco which she was doing fine on but someone recommended Merrick’s because it was a more nutritious food. She lasted 2 days and then suddenly, again, she got diarrhea. I took her in because it had lasted 5 days. Which at first I thought it was related to new food but it went on too long and it was getting worse. They put her on a prescription diet and she was fine. So at that point, the vet told us to discard Merrick’s. We did some research and tried Instinct. So we did 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days. As soon as she ran out of the script food, it started again. And at this point, she will not go near her Instinct food.

Has anyone had a pup experience sensitivity to chicken formulas? That’s the only common with the foods that have upset her stomach so far. Any recommendations for kibble? Raw diet? Someone help!

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,668 Posts
Sorry about your girl.....

A lot of dogs don't do well on chicken, my guys never did. I feed a Purina Pro Plan formula that is salmon, it's the Sensitive Skin and stomach formula.

Hopefully some others will comment, but a lot of members are feeding Purina Pro Plan formulas-not the shredded, and also Eukanuba puppy.

Did your Vet want her back on the Prescription food?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
If your dog was doing well on her previous food, there is absolutely no reason to change it, especially if the only reason for the change was just because somebody claimed that X food is "better" than Y. Just like humans, all dogs are different and tolerate diets differently. While one food may work great for one dog, it may not work so well for another. The best thing you can do for your dog is to find a food that she does well on (and by well, I mean solid stools, a healthy coat, clean ears, and overall good body condition) and stick with it. I'm not all that familiar with Merrick since we have never used it (we are a Pro Plan family of many years), but if it is a grain-free food, I would steer totally clear of it. Grain-free diets have recently been linked to dilated cardiomyopathy due to a significant taurine deficiency. Grain-free is a very dangerous trend that is no longer being advised for dogs. Many of those foods are also way too high in protein, which can definitely attribute to the loose stools. I personally feed and recommend Pro Plan. We have been using it for nearly 15 years with outstanding coats and overall health and longevity.

Reactions: Golden.Harley17

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow awesome! Thank you so much for the info about grain free. We have been bombarded with info but not changing her food was what made sense to me. Do you know if there is a specific protein that is best for them? The Whole Hearted was the beef and pea formula and that was wonderful with no stomach upset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My puppy had lots of diarrhea when she was on a chicken formula, but I switched to lamb and she hasn't had diarrhea since. I would recommend lamb or salmon, and a puppy food for sensitive stomachs like you mentioned

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 10 year old German shepherd who at the age of 6 developed an allergy to chicken.. He lost so much weight and had explosive diarrhea. He was in really bad shape (down to 45 lbs) and was put on Sulphasalazine (sp?) which did help him. This was offered to him when we went to a new vet for a second opinion.. A few years later his eyes became very dry and goopy and we were told that it was a direct result of the medication and he would eventually go blind. When I hired a trainer for the first golden I brought home she told me she saw this situation a lot in dogs and told me I should try Wendy Volhard Natural Diet Foundation 2. Its a mixture of food that you then mix with raw hamburger. It is not cheap and I told myself I would try one bag and just see. She convinced me that I was spending a lot on medication and visits I should give it a try.. Within one week he was doing so much better and now 4 year later he is a healthy 10 year old with no medication. I have 4 dogs but he is the only one I buy this food for because of the cost. It can be purchased online. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No. The vet said to give her some sweet potato with her food. And she recommended we get her anything other than chicken. So we did. We got her the salmon but she doesn’t seem to be interested. She loved the beef and pea by Whole Hearted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow awesome! Thank you so much for the info about grain free. We have been bombarded with info but not changing her food was what made sense to me. Do you know if there is a specific protein that is best for them? The Whole Hearted was the beef and pea formula and that was wonderful with no stomach upset.
I would avoid any foods with legumes (which includes peas). They are a starch and have been linked to cancer development. If you know that your dog has a definite sensitivity to chicken, I would use a food with an alternative protein source, such as lamb or salmon. We also use Pro Plan, which offers many different formulas. I personally would try her on Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach, which is a salmon and rice formula. None of our dogs have food sensitivities, but we still use it when we are not using the Sporting Performance formula because of the excellent results we've had with it.

·
bodhigolden on Instagram
225 Posts
Go back to what you had her on initially or the prescription food from your vet, and if you want to change foods, do it very slowly. When we switched Bodhi to Wellness Complete Health Lamb, we did it slowly-like adding in less than 1/4 cup of new food, then upping it to 1/3 cup, slowly going to a half cup, then 50/50, so on and so forth. It was weeks until we had him switched over to the new food because he has a sensitive system, some dogs do better with a drawn out switch. If you think there's an issue with chicken, I wouldn't be surprised. Lots of dogs have a chicken allergy, and there are a lot of great foods with other main proteins.

And I have to second what jwemt81 said about grain free. It's a very unnecessary trend, imo.

Pumpkin is a great additive when you're trying to firm up stools. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts