Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently lost our first golden (we are still in shock) from what vets are calling a clot or something similar. We still have our other golden who is about 6.5 years. She has been great through this entire tragedy and we have been giving her extra love and attention. Since she is a very playful dog, we knew we wanted to get her another companion. The thing is it has been so difficult. We have a 20 month old daughter (who just loves her doggies), but breeders have been reluctent to sell a dog to us becuase of her age. We then began to think that maybe a puppy wasn't the best choice for our other golden or daughter so we began looking into adopting/rescuing a golden. This avenue has proven to be even more difficult. Most rescue organizations won't allow you adopt if you have children under a certain age (which we are finding is generally 6 yrs.). We know we can give a golden a loving caring home. We understand the organizations feelings in this, but we feel strongly that we can provide a wonderful home for a golden that might otherwise not have one. We live in PA, and have not had any success thus far in locating an organization that will consider us. We are open to having a golden that needs to be placed from a breeders but no luck there either. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thans so much!!!!!

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
The main reason for the age cutoff isn't care-ability, it's for the safety of your child. A lot of these dogs were strays so their background is unknown.

Another reason COULD be that some dogs are turned in because families have babies and "no longer have time" for the animal. I'm not saying that you're like that, because you OBVIOUSLY care very much for your animals, but that's just where they're coming from.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I am so sorry about losing your first Golden.
I think you will have a better chance with a breeder than a rescue group. Don't give up yet keep trying your puppy is out there, he just has not yet found you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do understand the reasoning for the organizations having guidelines for adopting out the dogs, but just feel that we are kind of in a tough spot. We want so badly to bring another member onto our family, but feel frustrated at times that we aren't being considered. Like AmbikaGR said- the right one will find us!!!!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Hi! I'm from Pittsburgh and volunteer for GRIN. I did a home visit not that long ago for a family that has a 14 month old and maybe 3 year old. They got their new fur-kid before Christmas. I think it just really depends on your kids and the dog. This family waited 2-3 months because we wanted to get them a golden that we KNEW it's history. AKA- a owner surrended dog. That way we'd know if it was good with kids, etc, etc. I think it is a case-by-case basis. Are you just finding out rescues don't want to adopt to people with young kids (re: websites) , or are you speaking to someone directly?

Grin will adopt out to a lot of Western PA. Where are you?

http://www.grinrescue.org/

·
Super mom! ;)
129 Posts
I work with GRREAT (grreat.org), a rescue which is based in DC, but there are lots of people who live in MD, VA, DE and even PA! So depending where you are... We too look hard at the dog's background and rely heavily on what the foster family feels is OK for the dog to handle when it comes to young kids. I have fostered dogs with my 1 year old and 3 year old (human) boys. Actually, we fostered an 8 week old puppy when my first son was about the age of your daughter. It was not "fun" mostly because the dog kept biting at my son's pants, which he didn't understand and would scream and so she thought he was playing. The pup stayed with us for 2 long weeks and it was hard, but went to a home with an experienced dog family with much older kids. Now my youngest son is 30 months and it's amazing what a difference 10 months (and the second child) makes. We'll hopefully be getting a puppy sometime this spring/summer. I know it's hard to wait (we've been looking since October and still no definite answers), but I'm a big believer in fate, what is meant to be will be. Your dog is out there, this extra time it's taking to find her will make her all the more special. ;-D ((HUGS))

·
Registered
869 Posts
You will find breeders and organizations willing to work with you-you just have to find the right ones. It bothers me personally when breeders/rescues make cutoffs based strictly on the ages of the children. We got our first golden from a breeder when our son was in diapers(he is now in college so it has been awhile! lol) but I think that each families situation has to be weighed individually.

You didn't say where in PA you were located but you may want to try contacting the puppy referrals for your area for the various clubs that are in your area and as far as the rescue's go, there is a great list of the all rescues listed on the GRCA's website.

You may also want to ask breeders about any older dogs that they may have available. Many times they do have older dogs available that are placing for one reason or another-retiring from their breeding programs, kept for showing and they aren't working out, etc.

Best of luck and keep up the search-you will find the right people to work with!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts