Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several chats with our vet, we are considering having our golden spayed at around 7 months old, and apart from it obviously preventing cancer of the womb etc, I was just wondering if anyone noticed any difference after spaying. i.e did your pup seem calmer or any change in their character at all?

It would be very interesting to hear from people who have had their goldens spayed 'before' a season.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
This is my first Golden. I spayed her at 4.5 months. I spayed her early because I was told I needed a cervical spinal fusion around that time and didn't want the hassle. I've now been putting off the fusion until I most possibly need it(I just had a fusion prior to this). I could of waited longer to have her spayed.

I have no clue if there is a difference in her behavior? She is a beautiful girl and I'm glad we have her spayed.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Ruby was a week or two weeks shy of 1 year when I spayed her. She had not yet gone into heat and by the looks of her ovaries/uterus, she wasn't planning on it anytime soon. There was absolutely no change in her behavior or drive.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't notice any changes, had Callie done at 6 1/2 months. Hardest part was keeping her calm for a couple weeks after the operation

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I just had MacKenzie done about 8 weeks ago. The vet figured she was about 7-8 months then.

The past few weeks she is trying to cuddle and learn to snuggle, but if I remember correctly, this is about the same time Brady started to become affectionate too (and he wasn't neutered until he was 18 mos).

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I had Jasmine, my golden/lab mix spayed at 5 months old. I didn't notice any difference in her behavior. She's just as sassy now as she was back then!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Rita I had Jade spayed before her first season and have subsequent problems but she is not a Golden, Tanya posted some info on the UK site (you may have to go back a fair few pages) think about beginning of Jan after Steph asked this question about Ruby (think it was Steph) that you may find interesting about growth plates etc, Wishing Daisy all the best whatever you decide.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
We got Cedar spayed at 9 months.. In our breeders contract, we couldnt have it done any sooner! She did end up going into Heat right at the 9 month mark.. darn!! so she had one cycle before her spay.. did she ever calm down after her spay?? Hell NO!! she has calmed down slightly with age, being a year and a 1/2 now.. she is still crazy and off the walls, and heaven forbid anyone come to our house because this dog has horrible greeting manners..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
My contract requires that my puppy people wait one heat cycle and then spay, while the risk of mammary cancer goes up a bit the risk of other cancers decreases as well as the risk of orthopedic issues... etc... I have been collecting citations and articles regarding this issue for a long time and have decided that from a health perspective waiting is just better.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I pretty much echo Callee.

We had Belle spayed at 6 months. We didn't notice any changes. She was pretty groggy that night and by the next day she was back to jumping, etc and I was panicing she was going to bust open her stitches. The hardest part was keeping her calm for the few weeks after.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
the question is about personality and I dont think there will be personality changes but
would you do a full hysterectomy on a 12 or 13 year old human girl and expect them to develop normally?? and not have repercussions of that ???
that is the issue...
do you notice a difference now... no of course not although I bet your breeder could see a difference... but healthwise later... well you won't know that for a while

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
we had Blush done at 11 months (she had 1 cycle) & Layla done at 29 months (she had 3 cycles...)

I would definitely suggest waiting to spay them 6 weeks after the first heat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We spayed Bailey at 6 1/2 months and she was just one day really tired and out and the next day she already started being active and a few days later you would not have know that she ever was spayed. Now 3 1/2 weeks after her spay she's the same girl and active and crazy as before and her scar is almost not visible.
We had to anyway do it at the 6 months mark, as the daycare she goes (1-3 times a month) requires them to be spayed or neutered after 6 month of age.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Marty was neutered at 4 months. Melody was spayed at 4 months. Gracie was spayed at 5 months. It worked out that Gracie and Melody could have their surgeries while my daughter and son were off for spring break. Marty's surgery was done while they were off for summer break. We did our research and discussed our decision with our vet - and the timing was good.

They all had pre-anesthetic health screenings and laser surgery. They also were micro-chipped at that time. The recovery for all three was rapid and there was no change in their behavior. They didn't wear cones - we put t-shirts on them and they healed very quickly.

Marty, our male, has never lifted his leg. That is the only difference, if there is one : )

·
Registered
278 Posts
I require in my contracts that a bitch go through at least one season and prefer for her to be at least 12 months of age. You will find tons of information as Shalva has pointed out to support waiting. Most vets just simply recommend 6 months because it is the norm.

Will you see a physical difference when spaying a bitch early, I believe the answer is definitely yes. Will you see a temperament difference, my answer is yes. I believe my girls are much more mature physically and mentally then their siblings who come back to visit. That is the one's who's owners did not listen to my recommendations or follow my contract.

There is no reason a responsible owner cannot wait to spay their girl. Especially when the health benefits are so favorable to waiting!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I require in my contracts that a bitch go through at least one season and prefer for her to be at least 12 months of age. You will find tons of information as Shalva has pointed out to support waiting. Most vets just simply recommend 6 months because it is the norm.

Will you see a physical difference when spaying a bitch early, I believe the answer is definitely yes. Will you see a temperament difference, my answer is yes. I believe my girls are much more mature physically and mentally then their siblings who come back to visit. That is the one's who's owners did not listen to my recommendations or follow my contract.

There is no reason a responsible owner cannot wait to spay their girl. Especially when the health benefits are so favorable to waiting!
Doolin, you state "Most vets just simply recommend 6 months because it is the norm." How many vets have you spoken to? Certainly if I had asked my vet for his opinion and he stated that 6 months was the norm, it would not have been a satisfactory answer for me. We had a thoughtful conversation about the benefits and the concerns.

I invite you to view the photographs of my dogs in my album. They are very healthy. In terms of temperment, I have never had any reason to be concerned. I would have never done anything to put their health or temperment at risk.

I am a responsible owner. And I followed my breeder's contract -but if I could not follow his contract, I most certainly would have discussed it with him. And further, I have socialized my dogs with other dogs from the same breeder, and they showed excellent temperment.

The ideal age for spaying or neutering a dog, may well vary based on the individual dog.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts

I agree!

I also recommend waiting until after the first heat cycle to spay. There are real benefits to waiting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts