Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you serve and how many people came?
I had 11 people and served the standard Thanksgiving dinner, plus too many desserts (pumpkin pecan cheesecake, sweet potato cranberry walnut cake with orange cream cheese frosting, apple blueberry pie, pumpkin pie, butterscotch brownies and maple walnut crisps).

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Our extended family went out to eat at Lawrys (prime rib fame) for Thanksgiving lunch--it was wonderful! We all went Dutch, which meant it was cheaper for me than cooking all that I usually prepare or purchase for my share of the dinner duties, plus, no clean up and a wonderful time saver! I got Prime Rib since I eat enough turkey during the year and never eat beef. Another member got a combo of prime rib/turkey, others traditional turkey and another chilean sea bass. Afterwards we went to a family member's home for dessert. Today I'll be eating steamed veggies or soup--no meat day for me, to get me back on my normal dietary track.

Ignutah, your desserts sound wonderful! Have any leftovers?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We go out to an inn for Thanksgiving dinner. My mom and her brother are in their 80s so it's nice to get them out for dinner. Dallas Gold, I'm with you today. Soup and veggies for me too.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Not this year...I spent Thanksgiving at a local restaurant with my Father in Law this year....trucker husband was on the road...youngest son is away at Boot Camp...oldest spent Thanksgiving with his fiancee's family. I really enjoy my father in laws company. This was his first holiday as a widower...in some ways it was easier for him to ease into the holiday season by doing something different then what my Mother In Law would have done...

Reactions: Debles

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Local Eagles put on free/donation dinner for the public. Enjoyed this low-key event last year, too. After all that food I was so glad to not have cooked & have to deal with leftovers. Don't want to see turkey, etc. for quite awhile.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignutah, your desserts sound wonderful! Have any leftovers?
Unfortunately, too many desserts leftover. I looked online last night to see what would freeze well as we could never finish it off ourselves (though I did have cake and coffee for breakfast)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I hosted -- 25 people (including kids) -- I feel like I am still recovering -- and yes way too many desserts! I was disappointed there was no pumpkin pie, I look forward to that every year might have to make one myself ;)

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
We had Thanksgiving with the turkey and all on Saturday because my son had surgery on Wednesday. It was the 7 of us, hubby and me, daughter, son in law, grandson, son and daughter in law. On Wednesday I bought a ham and other easy stuff and gave it to my daughter to cook for us in her new house and we took take out to son and daughter in law. That was the first thanksgiving I didn't cook in 50 years or so--I think I am about ready to turn over the cooking to the kids.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Yes, we hosted some of our kids and grandkids. Had turkey and all the trimmings. My daughter brought five different kinds of pies!! We gave them all leftovers to take home and we still have plenty! I left the rest of the weekend free to recoup!!

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
Yep, we had planned on going out for dinner on Thanksgiving, or at least I had planned on it! I have always made the Thanksgiving dinner and this year since I had to work six days, and only had Thanksgiving off, I figured...heck, let a chef cook for ME! lol
The night before a few of my sons objected to me NOT cooking, although they'd have gone along with us had I insisted. I gave in :( Sent hubby out for the essentials... we already had a free turkey, so the prep began. Turned out really good, and I'm glad we opted to stay in even if I did have to cook ;)
We ended up having just 5 in all for dinner ;) Now I made a triple amount of stuffing because we all love it! Do you know that all that stuffing was gone the next day! We are all 5 pounds heavier :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I wonder why some people say stuffing and some say dressing, (like me). Don't know why that popped in my head. :eek:

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
My mom hosted Thanksgiving at her house. We have yet to get a new dining room set (still have the one the old owners left us two years ago). Maybe when we get a new dining room set, we will finally host at our house.

Anyways, my mom did almost all of the cooking. We had just about everything - turkey, stuffing, corn casserole, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, applesauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, baked macaroni. And I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. For dessert we had pumpkin pie, apple pie, mixed berry pie, ice cream, and cookies.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
In our house it is called stuffing if it is stuffed in the bird...dressing if cooked as a side dish...I have some family members that will eat dressing...but not stuffing....Could very well be just our quirky family~;)

I wonder why some people say stuffing and some say dressing, (like me). Don't know why that popped in my head. :eek:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
My parents and a friend came to visit me for thanksgiving, so we ate at a wonderful restaurant that's part of a beautiful inn/hotel located on UNC's campus. My dad said to us at dinner that this was the first time in 25 years he hadn't cooked for thanksgiving, and it was so nice! My mother's sister had thanksgiving this year, and she told my mom she has new found respect for anyone who hosts a holiday dinner.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
We celebrated at work. Both me and Tim had to work so we ate at my work. It was really good. One of our officer's wife made all kinds of japanese food in addition to all the traditional tranksgiving food. I was so stuffed.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I did the whole shebang for 6 at my house. Had a great time doing it but slept 12 hours after and woke up with a muscle spasm in back!

We had turkey, sausage/bread stuffing, salad (avocado, orange slices, feta cheese and poppy seed dressing), string beans, asparagus, candied yams, mashed potatoes, 3 pies (two came with my sis) and 1 cake (made by my daughter). Also rolls and a couple hors d'oeuvres. Great fun, and the table looked gorgeous with mini pumpkins and branches of pyracantha berries.

Dogs overall did OK. But Tucker got upset in his ex-pen, even though he was right next to the table and had a bully stick. Not sure what was going on with him.

He completed his transformation to a champion counter-surfer over T-day, unfortunately. We had everything shoved to the backs of the counters, but he still managed to get hold of and wolf down about a quarter of the cake my daughter made. :doh: Guess he liked the buttercream frosting too! LOL

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if it is a regional thing? I think I used to say dressing and now I say stuffing (I used to live on west coast, now in southeast)
There are a bunch of words like that-frying pan or skillet, paper bag or paper sack, carry someone in your car or give them a ride.
Here's the weirdest one (in my book). When I was growing up, if you wanted someone to turn the light on, you would ask them to do just that or else ask them to flip the switch. Here in the southeast they tell someone to ""mash" the light switch (i'm actually not 100% sure of how they phrase it).

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It might be a very local expression here in upstate South Carolina.
Here's another quirky one. Where I am from they referred to someone being "in bed" but here in South Carolina, they say "in the bed". I think in England they say someone is "in hospital" whereas here we say "in the hospital".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts