Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know what I got I thought I was getting a Golden Doodle but he looks solely like a Golden Retriever ! He even is having feathering of the tail at 4 months old! But what makes me think he has poodle is his abnormally long legs and curls when wet and behind his head and on his neck he has wavy curls?. I didn't really get to see the parents and I have very vague paperwork. But he really acts like a Goldendoodle retriever and looks like it. I'll let you be the judge.
All of these pictures are at different weeks of age but today he is 17 weeks old!

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Its kinda hard to judge, but I do think he looks like he could be a doodle-maybe a lab/poodle instead of a golden/poodle? Or maybe a purebred golden parent and a half golden/half poodle parent? It will be interesting to see how he looks as he matures-his coat will be a definite giveaway. And as a professional groomer, I can tell you doodles DO shed and they are NOT hypoallergenic-doctors will back me up on that-(no matter what the "breeder" tells you-they often like to tell you what you want to hear, whether its true or not, just to make the sale.) So it doesn't surprise me at all that he sheds like crazy. The amount of shedding a doodle does depends on the type of coat it gets. Some shed just as bad if not worse than a purebred golden, others shed minimally. Honestly, the heavier shedders, usually have easier coat to maintain (doesn't usually mat as badly), so if that's the case with your puppy, count your blessings! :) He's cute, whatever he is! If you are really curious, they sell dna kits. I think you can get them on Amazon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goldens&Friesians;7222721 said:
Its kinda hard to judge, but I do think he looks like he could be a doodle-maybe a lab/poodle instead of a golden/poodle? Or maybe a purebred golden parent and a half golden/half poodle parent? It will be interesting to see how he looks as he matures-his coat will be a definite giveaway. And as a professional groomer, I can tell you doodles DO shed and they are NOT hypoallergenic-doctors will back me up on that-(no matter what the "breeder" tells you-they often like to tell you what you want to hear, whether its true or not, just to make the sale.) So it doesn't surprise me at all that he sheds like crazy. The amount of shedding a doodle does depends on the type of coat it gets. Some shed just as bad if not worse than a purebred golden, others shed minimally. Honestly, the heavier shedders, usually have easier coat to maintain (doesn't usually mat as badly), so if that's the case with your puppy, count your blessings!
He's cute, whatever he is! If you are really curious, they sell dna kits. I think you can get them on Amazon.
that's what I was thinking and I already knew of the shedding before I got a Goldendoodle I talked to a couple owners who warned me it isn't always true. I'm just hoping he starts growing more and more hair I want him fluffy no matter the texture. I've seen some beautiful long hair golden retrievers and it makes me hope his hair grows straight more like that since he has the feathering on his stomach and arms and his tail is feathering and unraveling. I can't wait to see what he turns out to be.

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Since a goldendoodle is a mixed breed... you are not guaranteed a specific thing when you get a pup.

It's not that different from the neighbor's lab getting a visit from a husky. You are going to get a mishmash of things.

Your dog looks like a poodle mix. Head, nose, ears look like a poodle donated genes to the mixture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of curiosity- if you wanted a Golden coat, why did you buy a doodle dog?
actually I didn't even want a Golden Coat i wanted the wavy fleece coat of a Goldendoodle, but I'm accepting what type of coat my dog could naturally have so I don't mind if he has more of a Retriever coat at all. By looking at pictures of different coats I've grown to love straighter coats

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since a goldendoodle is a mixed breed... you are not guaranteed a specific thing when you get a pup.

It's not that different from the neighbor's lab getting a visit from a husky. You are going to get a mishmash of things.

Your dog looks like a poodle mix. Head, nose, ears look like a poodle donated genes to the mixture.
thank you ! That kinda helped me with my choice and me wondering. And yeah a lot of Goldendoodle owners said I should of got a second generation

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I'd be happy he got more of a golden coat. I feel bad for all of the poodles mixes that always have fur in their eyes. Poodle type coats require so much more maintenance and grooming. I can't imagine having to send my dogs to the groomers that often and I'd be too terrified to trim the face myself.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
You might be lucky and he will have more of a golden coat. I have a friend that is a groomer, she refuses to do anything doodle - she says their coats are impossible and the owners do not no how to keep them up.

When ever you have a hybrid, you never know what you will end up with.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Whenever you get a mixed breed you don't know what you'll get temperament, coat, structure, etc. I've seen Doodle types that look like Poodles and even one that looks like a giant Terrier mix. Temperaments vary widely and physical health due to poor conformation has been an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't really know what I got I thought I was getting a Golden Doodle but he looks solely like a Golden Retriever ! He even is having feathering of the tail at 4 months old! But what makes me think he has poodle is his abnormally long legs and curls when wet and behind his head and on his neck he has wavy curls?. I didn't really get to see the parents and I have very vague paperwork. But he really acts like a Goldendoodle retriever and looks like it. I'll let you be the judge.
All of these pictures are at different weeks of age but today he is 17 weeks old!
I have a goldendoodle and my boy Charlie looks a lot like yours. I know that when we bought Charlie his dad was a full golden retriever and his mom Macy was a golden retriever/poodle mix. Looks like that might be the same case for you. Here is a picture of Charlie at 4 months.
FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's up to you, for sure, but for me my goldendoodle became the best friend ever. They are very smart and like active style of life. Retrievers are a little bit lazier and like laying in the bed with the owner. I wanted a dog to make my life more energetic, to be able to fishing with the dog and so on, so I choosed goldendoodle and never regretted. The choice was hard between breeds goldendoodle or labradoodle, but after reading a lot of websites with the comparation of these breeds I made a decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts