Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using K-9Advantix and didn't think it was that great---plus as Brooks got skunked and had so many baths, maybe it washed off. I saw flea dirt on him and he was scratching.
I went to the vet and wanted to buy Frontline Plus, but he didn't have it. He said he has the best success with Comfortis-a pill type flea treatment that kills only adult fleas for 30 days. The package said the adult fleas start being killed in 30 min and are all dead in hours.
I gave it to Brooks on Thurs p.m. This morning I know there is more flea dirt than there was Thurs. What's up
PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so, no one has any experience with Comfortis?
I'd appreciate some ideas on how to deal with Brooks' fleas....

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
No experience with it. I live in Ohio and have never had a flea problem so I just use Frontline as a preventative April - Nov.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
I use Frontline myself. Sorry that I am no help.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
I've always used Frontline Plus, but you can get a pill called Capstar from the vet and it DOES work in 30 minutes. Dead fleas drop off the dog like they been zapped. Then put on Frontline to prevent anymore from hitching a ride and kill any eggs.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I've been out "horsing around" all day and didn't see your thread earlier. I think many of us are not online as much during the day on the weekend!

I have used Comfortis on both my dogs and it worked very well. I used it last summer when frontline seemed to stop working. I finally realized I had an infestation and the problem would not resolve until I treated my house and yard as well.

YOu can get a capstar pill from your vet to kill the existing fleas in 24 hours. It does not have a residual effect - only kills the adults on them RIGHT NOW. It is available for both cats and dogs. Fair warning, one of my cats drools and has a fit when I give her a capstar.

According to my vet Comfortis travels through the fat cells and is not affected by baths. It might just be taking a little longer to kill the fleas.

If you are having a severe problem you probably have an infestation in your house or yard. You will have to take care of that too before the fleas will be gone. You might be seeing flea dirt from Brooks getting into the area that has fleas. Comfortis and frontline does not kill the fleas until they bite, so if you have an infestation you will continue to see flea dirt for a while.

I have not had as much of a problem this year thank goodness. Since we both live in SC, we are probably dealing with the same climate and fleas can be really bad down here. Especially when it rains as much as it has lately.

If you really want Frontline+, check your local feed and seed stores. Most around here carry it. Please be very careful though since it is possible to overdose your dog in a desperate attempt to get rid of fleas.

I hate cold weather, but a frost is probably not too far away and that will help unless they are in your house.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did a bit of research on comfortis and although it is relatively new, those who use it seem to be quite pleased (i know a couple on this forum do use it, i'm sure they will chime in). However, my vet doesn't carry the pill, so i went with frontline plus. All i can say is THANK GOD for that medicine. I battled fleas all summer with the cheap Zodiac brand. Within a week on Frontline the fleas were gone.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been using it because the dermatologist says its the best thing to use if your dog has a flea allergy. It is supposed to kill a flea within 30 minutes. It is a chewable tablet though and Crockett hates it. He spits and it foams and he drools I really have to work with him to get it down. It's the only thing I know of that he doesn't like. Works good on the fleas though. Never seen one on him except a leftover @ the vets office from another animal.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought Brooks might possibly have not eaten it (I put it in his food dish with his dinner on Thurs) but checked all around the bowl and saw nothing so my guess is that he ate it. Maybe the flea dirt I saw on him was from before. Anyway, he is sprayed with the Ovitrol and I had already done my house with a product that is supposed to kill fleas and flea eggs for months and the inside cat has been treated.....so this is about all I can do.
My guess is he picks up fleas when outside on walks as he likes to stop and roll around on people's lawns

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Give Brooks a bath and start looking in a few days for more flea residue. I use Revolution on my pup and the dog previous to him. In 16 years, the dogs have never had fleas or worms. It might have something to do with the Pacific NW climate, I don't know.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Next time, try giving it to Brooks as a treat and not in his food dish so you will be sure he eats it.
If he doesn'[t like it jsut put some peanut butter on it and he should scarf it right down.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I thought Brooks might possibly have not eaten it (I put it in his food dish with his dinner on Thurs) but checked all around the bowl and saw nothing so my guess is that he ate it. Maybe the flea dirt I saw on him was from before. Anyway, he is sprayed with the Ovitrol and I had already done my house with a product that is supposed to kill fleas and flea eggs for months and the inside cat has been treated.....so this is about all I can do.
My guess is he picks up fleas when outside on walks as he likes to stop and roll around on people's lawns
Any chance Brooks may have thrown it up? the first time i gave Comfortis to Roxy, she went outside a couple minutes later and i followed her into the back yard and she was throwing up.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm sure he can. We lived in FL for 3 months (military) years ago. Our dog picked up fleas while we were there. Our last night in town we stayed at a motel and boarded the dog and had her dipped for fleas. When we picked her up on the way out of town the vet told me to carry her to the car & not even let her feet touch the ground.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next time, try giving it to Brooks as a treat and not in his food dish so you will be sure he eats it.
If he doesn'[t like it jsut put some peanut butter on it and he should scarf it right down.
This is what I should have done to be absolutely sure he ate it

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Give Brooks a bath and start looking in a few days for more flea residue. I use Revolution on my pup and the dog previous to him. In 16 years, the dogs have never had fleas or worms. It might have something to do with the Pacific NW climate, I don't know.
I used to use Revolution for my cats but never did for Brooks because I give him Interceptor for heart and other worms--so didn't want to use a flea control product like Revolution that also had a worm Rx in it. I use Interceptor because he had whipworms at age 6 months and the Heartguard I had been giving didn't control whipworms.
but, the bath idea is a good one....that way I can see if any more flea dirt appears.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We use it and are happy with it. The fleas can not bite.. to it is perfect for a dog with an allergy to flea saliva. It also lasts longer than 30 days.
It is a big stinkie pill. I put it in a glob of peanut butter.. first I give Rusty a piece of meat, then the glob with the pill and before he can think about spitting it out I put another piece of meat on his nose.. He will chomp down the pill and check out the last piece.. mom one Rusty zero. Penny.. forget about it.. I come up from behind her, gently put it down her throat and give her the meat. I have found out if I pill at bedtime they are less likely to throw up.

·
3 goldens
12,091 Posts
I love it. I had used Frontline and thenFrontline Plus for years and it stopped working. Within 10 days to 2 weeks, fleas were back on the dogs. I tried the Advantix, same thing.

I had heard of the Comfortis, but was leery of it. As many know, I lost my Hunter to ProHeart6, the 6 month heartowmr prevention injection back 6 years ago this month. After his death I started research and found hundreds of dogs had died from it, thousands had had severe reactions. I had decided then to never try another product til it had been on the market several years.

Well, I lost KayCee to cancer in May 2008, leaving just Honey and she had fleas. I was scared to apply the Frontline more than every 4 weeks, so would spray with Adams spary, but we ended up with fleas in house. I talked to people who ahd tried the comfortis and loved it, couldn't find one bad report on the net and decided to give it a try.

I picked it up and also a Capstar tablet. I sprayed the house and the yard and gave Honey the Capstar. This wa a year ago Aug or Sept, can't remember for sure. I think it was 2 days later I gave her the Comfortis, and a week later sprayed house and yard again. I have not found a flea or flea dirt on her since, and only gave her like 2 last Fall and finished them off this summer. She has ot had one since July. Still no fleas.

If fleas are bad you do need to do house and yard t same time and repeat in a week. ONE THING, COMFORTIS DOES NOT KILL TICKS. IT IS FOR FLEAS ONLY.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I used it the first summer we had Jinger. It worked great. Never saw a flea on her. The following summer we tried to give it to her and it took us over 45 minutes of coaxing and wrapping the pill in different things to get her to eat it.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I have to quarter the pill and then pill him, giving him treats in between. We haven't had any issues with fleas at all.

Please remember when using comfortis or trifexis to give on a full stomach!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts