Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering now that we've trained him with bells how we will ever wean him off the bells. Is there any good method to do that? I've noticed lately if we don't let him out the second he rings, he comes into the living room and stares at us. Is that a good indication that he won't need the bells forever?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank is trained to ring bells to go out but I consider it a permanent alternative to scratching the wood door to go out. I never planned to remove them.

·
Super mom! ;)
129 Posts
Murphy's mom,
We trained our 7 and 8 year old dogs with bells. We graduated from bells on a string to 4 big sleigh bells on leather vertical (hung down from the door knob) to 2 smaller sleigh bells on leather in the shape of dogs that hang from the door knob. We still have it. Do they use it? Sometimes. If we didn't find something that worked for us (btw, it also makes a good bell for when the kids go outside!) we wouldn't need it. Our younger one will nose tap the door knob (over and over again!) or just go stand by the door. The older one just stands by the door. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
About bell training

Just wondering about this bell training business. We are planning to use the door in our kitchen that leads down to the basement and out through the garage as our "out to take care of business," door. We use this door alot, so I'm thinking I don't want to hang a bell on the door knob, but will need to nail a hanging bell on the wall space next to the door. Where do you find such bells for training? Do they sell them in the large chain pet stores? Or should I just figure on making one from craft materials at a craft store? I don't have my puppy yet, but was wondering do I start ringing that bell initially, when we get her home? Or do I let her get acquainted with us and our home before introducing the bell?
~Thanks~

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Good to learn about this bell ringing training. I personally like the idea. I can't wait to get her home and get started. My mother in law will be coming in April to visit and I know she will be amazed with the bell ringing technique!
Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
At 4 months old, our first golden learned to do it. It took a week of going to the door, making him sit, ringing the bell, and taking him to the potty area. My wife and I were on the couch when he rang the bell solo. From then on there were no problems. There were different levels of rings. The soft ring meant, I am thinking I want to go out, the harder ring meant I have to go out and the ring that the bell and string goes around the door knob like a tether ball meant. I HAVE GOT TO GO NOW! We learned very quickly to drop everything and run to the door. He did this for 13 years and in fact did it on his last day.

We never took the bells off the door after he passed. Regarding our newest addition, he his not getting. He would rather bark at us and then we go to the door he rings the bell and sits. We try to ignore the demand bark but he just gets louder and louder and he will mouth to try and get your attention.

I hope you have the experience we did with our first golden. It was pretty cool when friends and neighbors are at the house and the dog rings the bell. LOL, A friend was over showing me plans of her new office and the dog rang the bell. Paula told me there was someone at the door. I told her it was just the dog and he had just been out. He rang again and I explained in detail how we trained him. She was downright angry. She has 2 dachshunds that were 2-3 years old that she can't housebreak and here we had a 6 month puppy ringing the bell. It was pretty cool. The puppy got extra treats that night for making us look smart.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I bought my online at http://poochie-pets.net/pbells.html I loved all the ribbon choices to choose from. You could easily make your own.

I like that his nudging the bells saves the finish on my wood door.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made my own bells from craft stuff just because it was a lot cheaper. Besides, then I could make it how I wanted it. Bells are very easy for them to learn on, it only took Murphy a week. When he was 10 weeks we got the bells, and every time we took him out, we touched his nose to the bells. Before we knew it he was ringing it on his own, even if it was to go chew on sticks, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After seeing how well the bells worked with our relatives' dogs, we decided to use the technique with Maggie too. We have a cluster of four or five small sleigh bells hanging from the deck door handle. I've had to raise them higher once already, and I'll probably have to raise them again soon (the shorter you can keep the twine, the less they clang around during normal use of the door). Anyway, it took a couple weeks of training before she started using them reliably, but now she uses them regularly if we miss her other signals... such as trotting out of the room suddenly, nudging us on the knee, etc. We usually read her other signals now, before she resorts to the bells, but it's nice that she uses them if necessary. If she's desperate though, she will sometimes clang those bells loudly and constantly until we actually get the door open!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes, we love the bell technique! I just finished posting in detail on another thread.

Duffy is 15 weeks and has been consistenly ringing to go out for about 2-3 weeks now.

Yes, it is very impressive to company that is over!

We have our bells hung next to the door so that they don't ring every time that the door is opened.

Kris

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Yes, we love the bell technique! I just finished posting in detail on another thread.

Duffy is 15 weeks and has been consistenly ringing to go out for about 2-3 weeks now.

Yes, it is very impressive to company that is over!

We have our bells hung next to the door so that they don't ring every time that the door is opened.

Kris
You may want to rethink placing your bells on the doorknob. It's an excellent way to know when your door is opening and closing. It's better than a door monitor, which I had when the kids were little. I watch my young niece on occasion...I can be anywhere in the house, hear the bell ring, and know that she/someone has just gone out or has come back in.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'll echo the comment from Bones about our Maggie, 13 weeks old. In fact it's still tough to decipher her subtle signals: is this potty nipping or just teething nipping? But when she has to go, SHE HAS TO GO!! And she goes nuts on those bells. Guess at this age, I appreciate that. We just rang the bells, told her "to do her job," and went outside. Spent a week or so wondering if she was getting it or not and when she first rang them on her own (nudging with her nose), woo hoo! And it's amazing how you can hear that tiny sound above all the other noises in the house in case you lose track of her... and then we run to the door and there she is waiting for us!

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
The only problem I have is that Jamie (18 months) rings the bells whenever he wants to go out not just when he NEEDS to go out. It did work really well for potty training though.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I had a "lightbulb moment," today with regard to making and assembling my own hanging bell. I found and old lanyard that is not being used, so I can just attach a decent bell to it and hang it up by the door.

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
Hudsen is trained on the bells too. I just took one from one of my Christmas wreaths, tied a string on it, and hung it so it matched up to his nose. He learned very quickly. Murphysmom, Hudsen started doing the same thing where when I don't get up right away, he comes and stares at me. He has even started whining too and then ringing again. Last week he was on a roll with the bells and was ringing every hour- we would go out to potty and play a bit, then he would come back in and ring within a few minutes. I was tired of false alarms so I took the bells away for a while and now he stands by the door and whines. Maybe try taking them away and see what Murphy does. I'm sure he will do the same thing!

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
I taught our youngest to ring the bell to go out as a puppy. I thought it really helped with housetraining him quickly. Sometimes however I regret teaching him as we have a lot of bell ringing around here since he often just wants to go out to play and he knows that's how to get the door opened.

Recently I got irritated with him ringing it five minutes after coming inside, so I took the bell off the back door and put it on the bedroom door down the hallway. Of course about an hour later I hear the bell ringing. I look out the hall expecting that one of the dogs just brushed against it. Oh no... I see Cam pushing it with his cute little nose.... "Look mom, someone moved my bell, but don't worry... I found it!"

Sometimes goldens are just too darn smart for their own good!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I trained Harvey with the bells but sometimes he rings them just for fun right before he lays down. I took them off for a while and it seemed to work just fine. If he wanted to go out for fun, he'd stand at the door and look at me but if he really had to go out, he would bark once or twice to get my attention.

Anyway, it seemed like a natural progression- I didn't have to retrain him without the bells or anything.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm curious to learn more about the bells. Can you train an older dog to use them? My dog just whines and barks when he needs to go outside and I'd much rather hear a bell than the whining. Also, are there louder bells you can use to hang on the outside door so they can ring the bells when it's time to come inside? Sometimes I let my boys out on the deck and when my golden wants to come in, he jumps up at the wooden deck door and scratches it :doh: Not acceptable!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts