Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rochie's diarrhea has been on and off since we got him when he was 2 months (he's 5 days to 5 months now!) and it's always gone away in no more than a day and a half without us withholding food or water or anything.

But this time, it's the 3rd day. I thought it would go away like usual. The thing is: everything else is completely normal. He's still eating all his food and will eat much much more after his meal. He'll still try to steal bits of my breakfast (we're trying to fix that!), and he's still an energetic, playful sweetheart.

We're on a deworming schedule and are up to date on vaccinations.

My question: is this normal? when does diarrhea become a serious thing that we need to get checked out for? what are some home remedies that have worked for you guys? thanks so much!

Just a note: Rochie has had parvo (it was very depressing and not fun at all but we got through it) so it's not that (also no vomiting or anything) but could it be that some of the parvo virus is still in his intestinal tract (I heart the virus can survive for a really long time in all environments?) and it's just affecting him? could that be a possibility? is that a serious problem?

·
Registered
649 Posts
What food are you feeding him? Is it the same food he's always eaten? Do you give him rawhide (STOP if you do!)? Do you ever give him FortiFlora when he gets the diarrhea? It is a probiotic you can get from your vet.

Liberty has a history of diarrhea on and off and I know exactly what you are going through. When she gets it now, I go to the vet and purchase a few cans of gastrointestinal canned food. I mix it in with her kibble for a few days and add some FortiFlora. This seems to get rid of it within 24 hours. Rawhide gives her (and a lot of dogs) diarrhea every time. Also, those bones covered in the brown flavoured coating bother her as well. We changed food a few times and finally settled on Fromm Large Breed Puppy. Seems to be working well for her. I have to switch her over to adult food soon - hoping that goes okay! :)

Reactions: razngrl
1 - 4 of 4 Posts