Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something appears to be wrong with JJ and we're not quite sure what to do at this point. He just went from happy and healthy to, well, we don't know.

This past Thursday he went to the vet for a series of vaccinations including Rabies, Dist/Parv and Bordetella. The following day, Friday, we noticed he didn't have his normal appetite, but passed it off as lack of appetite due to the shots. Not that he wasn't eating, he just wasn't finishing it all as usual. Later that night we gave him his heartworm pill.

This morning when we took JJ out we noticed he had a mild case of diarrhea. I've had dogs before that have gotten mild cases of diarrhea from Heartguard, so we figured that was the case here and continued to monitor him closely. As the hours passed, his diarrhea appeared to get worse, turning more into something like pudding. He ate some of his breakfast and some of his lunch, but once again, not all of it like usual.

We started to ask ourselves, is the Heartguard really the cause considering he started losing his appetite before we gave it to him Friday night, or is there something else wrong here.

Naturally, we called our vet, and we were told not to feed him dinner, to monitor him throughout the night, and if things didn't improve by Sunday morning, to feed him a rice and kibble mix and call them back on Monday with an update on his status.

Making matters worse, JJ is now squinting in his right eye. It started about 4hrs ago and hasn't improved since. He's squinting his right eye so much that it's almost closed. Sometimes he leaves it closed, with his left eye as wide as it can be. There appears to be no problem with his left eye, and when I move my figure infront of his face, both eyes seem to follow. When he has his right eye open, or half open at that, it's blinking rapidly. Sometimes he flops on the floor and starts to rub his paw over it, sometimes whimpering in the process. The eye appears to be getting worse, with him opening it less and less.

We don't know what to do here. My girlfriend is basically in tears and thinks we got a defective puppy from the breeder. My vet is obviously closed at this hour and won't be in until Monday. There are emergency vets in the area. I don't know if I should try and let him sleep it out and see what he's like in the morning or if I should rush down there ASAP.

For the record, he is drinking, and he was active as can be. He appears to have lost a lot of his energy since this whole eye thing started. Then again, it is late for him, so it's hard to tell when it comes to his energy level and whatever it's on par or not. As for medical history, he's had a yeast infection in his years and a UTI (still waiting on results to see if its cured; I don't believe it is).

Edit: Just noticed his right eye, the one he's squinting, is tearing up a lot. Could he just have something in there, or does there seem to be a bigger problem here.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree with Megora. Your puppy might have something in his eye or a scratch.
Don't wait until Monday, take him to the emergency vet tonight.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
I am sorry, like the others said, please take him to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
You might have a couple of things going on here. The shots, especially such an overload of vaccinations all at once, could definitely cause him to go off his food and have some diarrhea. If is is the shots, it should resolve fairly quickly. For the record, I NEVER give all of the shots at once. It can be a real hit to the immune system to do this. I don't give bordetella period, and I separate the rabies and regular vaccine by 3 to 4 weeks. It is easier on the puppy this way.

The eye thing could be entirely separate from the other, especially since it started so much later. If he is whimpering, he is in pain. I would take him to the vet immediately. Like the others said, I don't mess around with eyes.

I cannot imagine why you would think this has anything to do with him being "defective." I assume he has been fine up until now.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely plan to take him to the emergency vet, however, I'm just not quite sure if I should go now and in the early morning.

JJ's is sound asleep right now in his crate. I don't know if I should just let him sleep and take him in the morning, or wake him up and rush him down there right this minute. The fact he's sleeping gives me some peace of mind, since I feel if he was in that much pain he wouldn't be able to sleep and would whimper non-stop. I do still know that something is wrong though and that he needs to see somebody, it's just a matter of how soon.

Going tonight would probably cost me a lot more then going in the morning. Not that I'm not willing to pay whatever it cost, but if it can wait to the AM due to the fact it's late now and he's sleeping and will probably sleep through the night, it'll save me some money. If it were mid-day right now and he was wide eye and bushy tailed, we'd be there by now, no doubt. But since it's 11pm and he's passed out, I'm thinking I can wait until he wakes up in the morning. Am I wrong about this, and should I wake him up and go now?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might have a couple of things going on here. The shots, especially such an overload of vaccinations all at once, could definitely cause him to go off his food and have some diarrhea. If is is the shots, it should resolve fairly quickly. For the record, I NEVER give all of the shots at once. It can be a real hit to the immune system to do this. I don't give bordetella period, and I separate the rabies and regular vaccine by 3 to 4 weeks. It is easier on the puppy this way.

The eye thing could be entirely separate from the other, especially since it started so much later. If he is whimpering, he is in pain. I would take him to the vet immediately. Like the others said, I don't mess around with eyes.

I cannot imagine why you would think this has anything to do with him being "defective." I assume he has been fine up until now.
Personally, I wasn't to keen on doing rabies this early, but the vet suggested it so we went with it. We did bordetella since we plan, or at least hope, to take him to our local dog park. They did a nasal spray for that. I hear ya though on not doing all the shots at once. I felt the same way myself, but we did what our vet suggested, hoping she knew best based on her training.

He was whimpering earlier, about an hour ago, and was rolling and scratching his eye. That has since stopped, due to the fact he was tired and went to sleep. He's been asleep now for about 45 minutes and hasn't made a peep since. That's why I question whether I should take him to the emergency vet now, or let him get some sleep and go in the morning.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
The shots, especially such an overload of vaccinations all at once, could definitely cause him to go off his food and have some diarrhea. If is is the shots, it should resolve fairly quickly. For the record, I NEVER give all of the shots at once. It can be a real hit to the immune system to do this. I don't give bordetella period, and I separate the rabies and regular vaccine by 3 to 4 weeks.
I feel the same way. It is so hard on their immune systems to be over-loaded with so many shots all at once. I wish vets would get educated on this and not subject their patients to this dangerous protocol. Vaccinosis in puppies and dogs is very, very serious.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
If he's sleeping now and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort or pain, I would wait until morning. If he wakes up and it starts over again, I would probably take him in.

I love my vets but it surprises me how often I am ahead of them on the curve :) When I had my first positive Snap4 and they did not suggest a C6, I asked for it and asked why they didn't suggest it. Answer-they figured a lot of their clients wouldn't pay for it. I think that is why vets push to do as much as possible on one visit-they fear the dog might not be brought back to finish what needs to be done.

Vets aren't perfect and they can't possible know everything-there is just so much going on in the field of veterinary medicine. Not to mention, it is our responsibility to advocate for our dogs health, just as we do with our own health.

OTOH, my vets are more than willing to listen, and, especially recenlty, they really work at staying current and are not upset when I challenge them. Sometimes we do it my way and sometimes we do it their way.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we're going to let him sleep for now, since he's sound. I'll watch him throughout the night and if I notice he gets up and starts going at his eye, I'll take him in. I'm still a young guy, so I can sit here on the computer all hours of the night without sleep.

I wouldn't imagine the eye has anything to do with the diarrhea. I can't see how it really could. I'm hoping the diarrhea is from the shots and the heartguard the following day, and that a rice mixture will help clear that up. The eye worries me though, as I know how much we all value our vision. Aside from having something in his eye, what could be the case of his symptoms? What are some things I should ask them to look at, do or check for when I take him to the emergency vet?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It could be from the vaccines...Layla had a reaction to her parvo vaccine in August, it started out as just her eye looking a bit odd to me, later there were hives and facial swelling on just one side of her face. I spoke to the Vet they said it was a reaction and we had her on benadryl for a couple of days....it came on the day after her vaccine.

When Hurley reacted so horribly to his one year boosters...his head swelled up like a basketball more than 24 hours after the vaccine!

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Vets aren't perfect and they can't possible know everything-there is just so much going on in the field of veterinary medicine. Not to mention, it is our responsibility to advocate for our dogs health, just as we do with our own health.
I agree, but vaccines are an every day issue. It's not like they're a specialty or anything. If it's something they're dealing with on a daily basis, I believe they owe it to their clients to keep up with all the latest studies. My sister's good friend is a vet and he gets just as frustrated with other vets that over vaccinate. It might be true that they're afraid the people won't be back to get other shots, but I still wouldn't put the puppy's health in jeopardy. I think a lot of it might also be the money aspect. The mark up on shots is incredible. I know, I used to order them for the clinic I worked at.

You definitely have to be your pet's advocate where their health is concerned and educate yourself before your vet appointment. Also, finding a vet that is secure enough to listen and change their protocol if warranted, is key.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We may be changing vets after this, I don't know. That's on-going decision, since we use the vet for our ferrets as well, and she's one of the few vets in the area with knowledge on ferrets.

Neither here nor there, though, this whole this is creating chaos in my house. My girlfriend is having like a nervous breakdown. The reason she said she feels like we got a "defective" puppy is cause she doesn't believe a puppy shouldn't be this sick (consider he had a UTI, a yeast infection in the ear and now diarrhea and a eye problem by 15weeks of age). I told her these things happen and that whatever it is, it's treatable and not life threatening. She's in tears and high strung right now cause we love this puppy to death and she hates to see anything happen to him, as I do, too. I just take it better and understand we have to deal with whatever it is. Plus, everybody hates have to go to the emergency vet. Those places don't come with good situations, plus the prices set you back quite a bit. It's rough.

I think I may be waking him up and taking him down shortly so we can come to some sort of conclusion here as soon as possible.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Relax, tell your girlfriend to relax... a yeast infection is hardly a big deal in a Golden, puppy or not, JJ will probably have many in his life. UTI's are also common in pups...not a big deal either. JJ will be fine, you will all get through this, it could be from the vaccines, and the hw meds, those can definitely cause the runs. Could he have gotten a bug bite, a sting etc? As I said, I have had two dogs now react to vaccines with hives and facial swelling among other things.

Good luck, will be thinking of you and JJ...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Relax, tell your girlfriend to relax... a yeast infection is hardly a big deal in a Golden, puppy or not, JJ will probably have many in his life. UTI's are also common in pups...not a big deal either. JJ will be fine, you will all get through this, it could be from the vaccines, and the hw meds, those can definitely cause the runs. Could he have gotten a bug bite, a sting etc? As I said, I have had two dogs now react to vaccines with hives and facial swelling among other things.

Good luck, will be thinking of you and JJ...
I'm calm and cool as can be. I've owned dogs before and have been around them most of my life. I familiar with all this, aside from the yeast infection in the ear, that was a new one to me. Once I learned about it though, it appeared to be something that's not uncommon and easy for dogs with floppy ears like Goldens to get. I'm trying to calm her down, but she's the worrying type and the moment he gets sick, she fears the worst. I suppose he could have gotten a bug bite or a sting, although I haven't noticed such. He does bite his leg every so often, but has since we got him, and within the past week or so he's been licking his "thingy" more then usual. I think he's taking notice of his now haha.

I understand he'll be alright, as long as we take care of the situation and don't neglect him. As I said, just debating where I should go. I don't really know for sure if the hour of the day will effect the price, or if it's an emergency since he's sound asleep at the moment, so I'm going back and forth with myself on whether I should go now or wait till he wakes. I guess I'm the worrying type in a way as I would hate to learn I made the wrong decision and waited to long.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I don't know your vet but for me personally if a vet did all these shots at once after and told me not to take my pup out until 16 weeks I'd probably consider exploring other clinics. Than again, I have little patience for vets who know less than me (and I really don't know anything).

Hope little guy gets better ASAP. Maybe he'll wake up completely fine or let's hope it's something relatively splendid like conjunctivitis.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know your vet but for me personally if a vet did all these shots at once after and told me not to take my pup out until 16 weeks I'd probably consider exploring other clinics. Than again, I have little patience for vets who know less than me (and I really don't know anything).

Hope little guy gets better ASAP. Maybe he'll wake up completely fine or let's hope it's something relatively splendid like conjunctivitis.
I don't know much about conjunctivitis, yet, but is it something that needs to be treated with meds or does it just go away on it's own? His eye was tearing a lot before, which in a way made me worried and happy at the same time. I figured like the human eye, if there's something in there bothering it, it's going to tear. I then noticed him licking his leg and rubbing his eye, as I've sometimes done myself when I got a hair in my eye. I can only hope it's as simple as that. For now he sleeps. I told my girl to go to bed and that I'd handle the situation, so I'm going to sit here until he wakes up.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We'll, it's a little past 3AM now and I'm still sitting here. He's woken up once since he went to sleep just before 11PM, just to reposition himself. He's quite as can be and out like a light. He should be walking up in about another 2 1/2 - 3 hours, so we'll see how things look then and take him to the vet if things haven't changed.

Another thing to note is that he hasn't gone out to eliminate since around 9PM, which at that time he went out and did 3 times within about 30 minutes, with diarrhea each time. Can't say I'm to worried about that though cause he didn't have dinner and his water gets taken away at 9, so he doesn't have to pee often after that.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts