Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! This is my first time posting on a forum like this so I'll try to keep it short. Our golden retriever, Lucy, will be turning 3 years old in May. Once she got through her puppy phase, she had started to exhibit occasional health problems (GI issues, dermatitis, discolored skin, etc.) that, eventually, our veterinarian linked to allergies. We got an allergy test done and received a packet in return rating how allergic she was, on a scale, to a number of different things. We confirmed with our vet that the dry food we'd been giving her contained none of her allergens and got strict with not feeding her any table food or treats. That solved her skin issues and everything seemed great, but toward the end of December (about four months after we moved to a new state) she began having diarrhea.

We put her on a bland diet of boiled chicken and white rice immediately and took her to our regular vet, who decided to put her on a de-wormer. That worked for a couple weeks, until her diarrhea popped up again. We noticed some blood in it at that point, so we took her to an emergency vet and they decided to treat her for colitis, gave us two medications plus a probiotic, and that seemed to calm things down again for another couple weeks. This past Saturday (Feb. 2), she started having diarrhea again. We gave it some time to see if it would go away but it persisted through Sunday so we took her back to our emergency vet, who put her back on those same meds plus a probiotic that they gave her a couple weeks ago. The emergency vet now suspects that Lucy might have developed an allergy to either her dry food or something in her bland diet. Something about that diagnosis seems odd to me, but I'm not a vet so I might just be overly concerned and critical.

Lucy has no other symptoms -- her behavior has been normal (except that she has been drinking less water than usual), she exhibits no abdominal/belly pain or tenderness, she's alert and playful, her appetite hasn't been affected, she is not vomiting, she hasn't gotten into anything she shouldn't (we watch her like a hawk), and there have been no other changes in her diet (other than switching to bland) or routine. We haven't introduced anything new or potentially stressful into her environment.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice or insight from people who might have been through something similar. Any information I can get would be hugely helpful!

Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so sorry, but I don’t have an answer to your question. I saw that you’re currently in line and hope you can help with a technical issue. How do you start a post? I usually not this much of an idiot, but I don’t see where to start one. Thank you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.