Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy has a sudden bout of diarrhea at home. I don't know if that's considered diarrhea cos the poop was a huge chunk and they were both solid and liquid-ish/wet poop that would stain the carpet. He's already 10 months and is toilet trained outside. Never ever goes at home after he's trained. But today he just poo-ed on my carpet. I think he did try to ask me to bring him down but it's an unusual time for potty and he didn't bark. Just kept wanting to go towards the staircase but I didn't catch the hint. I went to the kitchen and he just went on the carpet outside. If I clean it with simple solution, would he have a tendency to go in the house again? I mean I don't blame him today cos I think he just couldn't hold with the diarrhea.

Don't know if it has something to do with his food after I posted about his vomiting last week. He just doesn't seem sick at all.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't know--but if it were me, and last week your pup was vomiting, and this week there's diarrhea, I would get him to the vet to get checked out.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Clean the area well. Your pup had an accident, it is not likely that he will think this one incident is the all clear to start pooping in the house. It is just a gentle reminder that we should 'listen' when they speak! especially when it is out of the 'norm'.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah i will take him to the vet as soon as the hubby comes home. usually he'll come and paw at me/bark if he's really really urgent so this 1 time off thing really caught me off the guard. He poop this morning and he'll only poop again in the evening so this new behavior during lunch time is extremely out of the norm.

I sprayed the area with simple solution. Going to do another round of cleaning after the patch dries up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hope Lucca is feeling better soon--what a sweet face he has!

From past experience with my dogs and diarrhea, they simply couldn't hold it--it wasn't a house training issue! Nature's Miracle works really well also. Not only for removing the odor, but for removing the stain, too!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree with the other posters. This isn't a housebreaking issue but an "I don't feel good and just can't hold it" issue.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Taking Lucca to the vet tomorrow. He's still having the runs but he amazingly 'tells' me he needs to go. The minute I bring him out, he pulls me to the usual patch of grass and goes. I think he feels bad for going in the house the first time. I actually also wrote in to Fromm just to check with them on the food cos' I realized he only started to have such problems after going on the adult Fromm.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just switched Maya to Fromm's from Blue Buffalo, and she is doing very well on it--but every dog is different. You might want to try some rice with a bit a chicken or ground beef and see if that helps until you can get him into the vet!

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
My breeder and trainer suggested pumpkin. Get a can of pumpkin and put it in his food, this should help firm up his stools. My pet food store sells it. Hope this helps.

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
Taking Lucca to the vet tomorrow. He's still having the runs but he amazingly 'tells' me he needs to go. The minute I bring him out, he pulls me to the usual patch of grass and goes. I think he feels bad for going in the house the first time. I actually also wrote in to Fromm just to check with them on the food cos' I realized he only started to have such problems after going on the adult Fromm.
I had the same when I switched Chloe to the Fromm. I gave her some pumpkin from a can with the food and it worked. Hope this helps. Chloe is now 6 months old and doing wonderful

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Lucca is fine already after I gave him some rice and boiled chicken yesterday and this morning. Am going to give him 1 or 2 more meals of this diet. Lucca was doing very well on Fromm since he was a baby until I started the adult food for him. I thought both the puppy and adult food are the same formula so he should do ok on that. I'll be trying out the pumpkin when I go grab a can from Walmart tomorrow.

·
Registered
586 Posts
you might also want to try very slowly mixing in the dog food with the rice and the boiled chicken over a few days--that has worked well for me in the past!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyway just to update. After this bout of diarrhea, Lucca got well and just 4 days back, he had another round of diarrhea. Quite a bad one cos' it kept me up the entire night to bring him out to potty. Miraculously he got well the next day evening. Then just today, he had diarrhea again in the afternoon. His morning poop had some stuffing from his toys.

Brought him to the vet. Vet did a fecal check but said he couldn't get much poop to do the check but anyway he said he'll try to run a test on whatever he has. Came back to tell me nothing abnormal was found. He thinks is diarrhea and vomiting the past few weeks (on and off) could be due to his consumption of the soft toy stuffing. I kept all his toys now. Anyway in between I also changed his food from the Fromm adult to the salmon and veg. Of course with a good transition.

If he still has the runs without inhaling those soft toys stuffing, then i'm inclined to think he may have developed an allergy to fish since that's the common ingredient in the Fromm adult and salmon and veg food.

And oh, my vet told me not to give pumpkin cos' it'll loosen stool. Hmmmm...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts