Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Archie...has no parasites in his stool...
On Purina ProPlan Salmon and Rice (for sensitive stomach)
Hardly has any treats... only on certain occasions
No table food
Drinks Well
Eats Well....sometimes...
Vitamin E
Omega 3
Glucosamine
Forti Flora

Now...Archie as always has diarrhea....(on and off). This is getting to be ridiculous. He is only 7 months old and should not be having diarrhea constantly... on and off and on and off. Not cool.

Any suggestions. Please help me. I'm struggling as to what to do here.

·
Registered
Lucy
14 Posts
Mendy, I am having similar challenges and am trying to eliminate contributing factors. My pup is 8 months old and diarrhea is chronic then under control for a 1 week. Same corrective things you are doing ... sensitive diet, resorted to pro-biotic prescription food,etc. I have watched several Cesar Milan videos (don't laugh), but I have now resorted to lowering my anxiety and frustration overall. Perhaps (with a highly sensitive breed ... like a Golden) they/the dog are reacting to "things we think are ridiculous"?

I am not challenging you but sharing my feelings too. Archie may be feeling your anxiety too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mendy, I am having similar challenges and am trying to eliminate contributing factors. My pup is 8 months old and diarrhea is chronic then under control for a 1 week. Same corrective things you are doing ... sensitive diet, resorted to pro-biotic prescription food,etc. I have watched several Cesar Milan videos (don't laugh), but I have now resorted to lowering my anxiety and frustration overall. Perhaps (with a highly sensitive breed ... like a Golden) they/the dog are reacting to "things we think are ridiculous"?

I am not challenging you but sharing my feelings too. Archie may be feeling your anxiety too.
Yeah! I'm having some anxiety going through this Pandemic, but I often play with Archie and was actually playing with him before he rang the bell to go potty. Then "bang" diarrhea... AGAIN. I'm at my wits end. Cause I can't figure out what to do. I can't keep taking him to the vet. I often give him white rice and it helps him in the long run. Then back to his own food...after which after 2.5 weeks later, he gets diarrhea again. I am pulling my hair out just thinking of this. Kind of stuck as to what to do.

Could it be ME???? My anxiety level????

·
Penny & Twinkie's parents
257 Posts
Our Penny (now 8) started to have diarrhea about a yr ago, which occured every other week. Through many tests and different foods (PPP sensitive stomach, Hill's prescription for sensitive stomach), the only combination that is working is FortiFlora and Hills Prescription i/d - high fiber. When diarrhea started, it lasted 6 hours, taking her out every hr or so (not fun during the night). We'd give her Metronidazole (Flagyll) which cleared it up quickly but didn't want to keep her on it forever. So what we're doing now, seems to work. Every couple of months she might have an episode, so we keep the Flagyll on hand. Good luck... I know how frustrating it is. Agnes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our Penny (now 8) started to have diarrhea about a yr ago, which occured every other week. Through many tests and different foods (PPP sensitive stomach, Hill's prescription for sensitive stomach), the only combination that is working is FortiFlora and Hills Prescription i/d - high fiber. When diarrhea started, it lasted 6 hours, taking her out every hr or so (not fun during the night). We'd give her Metronidazole (Flagyll) which cleared it up quickly but didn't want to keep her on it forever. So what we're doing now, seems to work. Every couple of months she might have an episode, so we keep the Flagyll on hand. Good luck... I know how frustrating it is. Agnes
Is Metronidazole (Flagyll) prescribed for dogs... how many mg..???

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh my goodness! I too have an Archie! He is 9-weeks old and we've had him for 1 week. Day 4 started with very soft stools, and they just got softer to the point of liquidy mucus. Vet said it was Stress Colitis. She put him on Metronidazole, a pre/probiotic and a prescription bland dog food. Finally 3-days later they are firming up...like soft serve. I sure hope that we can get his gut health back on track and he’s not plagued with a lifetime of sensitive tummy issues. I also wonder, what another member posted, if my nervousness of being a new puppy pawrent is rubbing off on him.

·
Penny & Twinkie's parents
257 Posts
Is Metronidazole (Flagyll) prescribed for dogs... how many mg..???
Yes, Flagyll is from the vet. When she had full-blown diarrhea we gave her 500 mg right away. It would work in a few hrs. We have 250 mg on hand for when we think she starting to have an issue and it's more preventative.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
My last Golden had issues like this and over time seemed to grow out of it by the time he was two or so. I managed it with Royal Canin Gastro food and Propectalin tablets. Occasionally, and only if blood was in his stool the vet would prescribe Metro. I thought the Propectalin was the most helpful for diarrhea with no blood and you can get it over the counter from Chewy or somewhere like that. I keep it at hand these days just in case, but don't really need it much anymore. I also always went to chicken and white rice the minute an episode of diarrhea occurred.

·
Registered
Ruby Golden Retriever DOB Dec 31/2010
40 Posts
I'm sorry your poor pup is going thought this, I know how you feel. My dog Ruby (10 years old) has gone through this for months. We did all the testing and everything was normal. Our vet diagnosed her with a form of colitis. I used to sleep on the deck outside because the poor girl would be up all night. We switched her over to a prescription diet from the vet Hills Skin/Food sensitivities Z/D wet and dry. All I can say is WOW after 10 hours her poop was normal. It has been a life saver for her and me. Since the switch we have never had any issues. The only time we have problems is if she is given some other type of food she is not used to. I know a lot of the member's here disagree with vet food but all I can say is it was a life saver for me and Ruby.... and guess what? I can sleep in my bed again:giggle: yeah!
Best of luck to you and Archie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on Archie!!!

So after test runs and (etc), it was determined that Archie had sensitivity to food. Archie is now on prescribed V/D dog food. I had to throw out/return ALL TREATS AND PAST DOG FOOD. I'm gradually switching him to the new formula (slowly mixing his new dog food with boiled white rice). His diarrhea is slowly going away and I'm happy for that.

I'm also hoping that with this new prescribed food, Archie will begin to get better and have less diarrhea. I'm hoping it will also help with his food allergies (the itching).

I'm also less stressed now that I know that there is a resolution to this nightmare.

I'll keep you all posted...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts