Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey started having loose stool on Sunday and by Wednesday it turned to diarreah. We checked yesterday her stool and the vet cleared it.

She had just 2 1/2 months ago a treatment for Giardia, Coccidia and whipworms and was cleared after 3 weeks of treatment and never had any loose stool after that until this Sunday.

There is no blood in the stool and she's eating and drinking fine. Her energy level is unchanged and we still go on our two daily long walks without any change in her behavior.

We started giving her some rice with her food and some acidophillus/probiobtic tablets and this morning her first stool was a lot firmer and just a little soft at the end, but her second poop just half an hour ago was soft and then again some diarreah.

Any idea what this could be? How long can diarreah last?

She had her first interceptor tablet the day before the loose stool started and I read that diarreah is a side effect of this, but I am wondering how long after the intake you can get diarreah and for how many days? Anybody have experience with that.
What else can we try to help with her diarreah?

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Well I have had Luck for 2 months and he has had it for over 2 months....so it can last at least 2 months!

I really do not have much advice. We did the giardia treatment twice. He is officially clear on that as well. We just started a probirotic and 1 tbsp of pumpkin with his food. That started to help. UNTIL my Dave (bf) left the can of pumpkin on the counter. Luck got it and ate it all (very proudly I may add). So we had to wait for that to clear out (if you will).

So we are starting again today. Hopefully it works.

I guess pumpkin can work??

My confusion on it though (so if you choose to do it maybe more clarification). Do you continue to do this forever? Wait till it is firm and stop?

Hope your pup is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'd go back to teh vet to double check. What of diet are you feeding? Recent switches? I'd be scared to death to have a pet with diahrrea more than 48 hrs dehydration and cause issues very quickly and be dangerous.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We didn't switch any food and she's drinking plenty of water and pees regularly. I wait until tomorrow and will do another call to the vet, but she's not having any other signs at all.

One week ago we openend a new bad of Purina One and Solid Gold and we only noticed after a few days that they were bugs in there.... so I don't know if she got an upset stomach of that.. although it only started 2 days after we got her new food and the diarreah started almost a week after she ate last time of this food. They exchanged it for free and they seem having a problem with a few batches with Purina One food.

That's why we let her stool sample check, but they didn't find anything.

Hopefully it will clear up (today was better then yesterday).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It started with loose stool (not watery just more like a mousse) and only started yesterday being so fluid... and today it's not anymore that extrem fluid...

I also forgot to mention that she got the Rabies shot 4 days ago... although I didn't find any info that the rabies shot can cause diarreah, or does it?

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Any vaccinations can cause upset to a dog's system. Rabies can be particularly hard on some puppies. I would give her a tablespoon of plain, canned pumpkin with her food at each meal for a couple of days. If the upset was from either bugs in the bag or her vaccination, it should clear up in a couple of days.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baileys poop was a lot better this morning and this afternoon, but tonight she first had a medium firm poop and then shortly after she had to do more and this one was very loose, not as watery as two days ago...
We started with canned pumpkin yesterday afternoon and she also gets rice with her food. She was cleared by the vet from Giardia and whorms and Saturday she got the deworm treatment (Interceptor).
I also noticed that she's very gassy recently. But otherwise she's doing fine, eating and drinking as usual and her engery level is unchanged.
It's going on already five days with this weird poop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts