Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am in need of a diabetic alert service dog, for my health is pretty complicated. Well we found a trainer, but now we need a dog. Most of the organizations don't offer these types of dogs yet, or if they do not in my area. So our trainer said to find a breeder and get a puppy. So basically my question is: Does anyone know of a good breeder around the Indiana area? Maybe in Indiana, Kentucky, or other surround states? Thanks a bunch, I really need this dog so I can be able to go to school, instead of sick in bed, and be able to have more freedom and peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
In the meantime, consider getting one of the continuous glucose monitors and a pump.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Thanks. I got Jaro from Four Seasons in Lynn, IN. Over by Richmond. I'll attach a link later. But do call the folks at ICAN. I know one of the people who breeds pups for them and trains them. She is a vet over in Greenfield. Also, the person who recommends breeders for the Louisville, KY GR club is great. The local GR club here is great, but the breeder recommendation is more or less just a list of folks who breed. I also really liked talking to Meggan (I think that was her name) at Sugar Creek in Onio. http://www.4seasonskennels.com/ http://www.sugarcreekgoldens.com/index.asp?ID=13

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I just sent you a PM with contact info for a litter sired by Stoney, one of Pat Quinn's boys. It was on the Work Gold List and I think that the breeding should produce a very good working dog for your needs. I do not know the breeders or dogs personally but know of several who have dogs of relations. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I just googed diabetes alter dogs and I would go about this very carefully. Looks like there are many for profit folks out there who just want your money. By the way, I am diabetic but type 2.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats why we are buying a dog ourselves, and having a trainer instead of going though an organization. They didn't feel right, and some never even called us back!
Thanks too :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts