Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
----Not meant to debate value of dew claw removal---

Many of us doing field prefer them removed.

What exactly is removed when a dew claw is removed? I see a diagram with phalanges marked P1, P2, P3. I also see joints and ligaments at each joint. Also are there variations in the removal,
i.e. in what is removed?

Looking for information from vets and vet techs.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would never remove a dew claw after the initial puppy stage of removal. It’s a much bigger deal then you would think. We had a 7 month old that had one that hung out further then normal and vet suggested removing both at one time. We did it thinking no big deal. I would never do it again. This was years ago but if I remember correctly it was 2 weeks of stitches and keeping the bandages dry. Then they removed stitches and it was 2 more weeks of just keeping the bandages on, dry, and clean. The dog wanted to constantly lick at them and it was nearly impossible to keep them dry just from dew in the grass etc. I just remember thinking I would never do it again.

I’m not debating the value of removal. I currently have 1 without and two with.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so I am trying to understand exactly where the amputation site is. It looks like between the metacarpal and the proximal phalanx. The metacarpal remains. Just trying to straighten things out in my head.

·
Jamie
534 Posts
I won't purchase from a breeder that removes them. I think they are important to the structure of the dog's leg and I've never had an issue. And yes I live in an area that has thick brush and we hike or hunt it all the time. As long as they are tight to the leg and kept trimmed I don't think they are a big deal. Now I do know a lot of retriever folks that don't trim their dogs nails because the regular nails wear down. That is when I think you get dew claw injuries because they forget that the dews need trimming.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dewclaw Removal in Dogs: When Is It Necessary? (Vet-Approved Advice)

I'm attaching a link because there is a photo of what a dew claw removal looks like in an adult dog. I'm sure you've already heard all the pros and cons mentioned. The one photo depicting the removal is exactly what it looked like on the guy we had done. It was many years ago and I'm not sure if there is a better way now, but this looks exactly like what we had.

(I tried to just attach the photo, but it was an unsupported file type)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not debating, just stating a fact! Our field breeder that we got our current pup from, does not have the dew claws removed!

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think you are posting to the right forum to get responses from vets and techs?

ETA: This is a thread that I found informative on RTF - The Case for Dewclaws
I purposely posted here because I thought that posting elsewhere would lead to debate. It always does.

For the record, I did a lot of grouse hunting in grape tangles and thick brush, not birches and aspens. I have seen a torn dewclaw. It is terrible. It is for this reason that I prefer them removed.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For the record, I did a lot of grouse hunting in grape tangles and thick brush, not birches and aspens. I have seen a torn dewclaw. It is terrible. It is for this reason that I prefer them removed.
I have never seen it and won't with any of my dogs. I have talked to many "old timers" that have had to deal with torn dews. Their experiences are why people started removing them from pups. Of course that was all before someone posted a video on the interwebs of a Golden retriever breaking through the ice and a few people decided dew claws saved him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts