Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed about a week ago that at the base of Belle's left dew claw (where the claw attached to her body) looked red and swollen and like it was missing a little hair. She has been licking it a tiny bit, but not much at all. It seems maybe a tiny bit sensitive, but does not seem to bug her much. Now a week later it is still red and swollen. It seems a little less red and a little less swollen, but it is still red and swollen compared to the other side.

She still runs around like a maniac, zooms around the backyard, etc

I am actually thinking that is maybe how she did this is kind of a "stubbed toe" effect when she was running around the back or running in the house, etc

DH says that because it is not dark in color, not oozing anything, etc that it is not an infection, but I am not sure about this.

What do you think??

Can a dew claw be dislocated? Could it be infected? Should we go to the vet or give it more time? Can a vet do anything if she "stubbed" or dislocated it?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I would have the vet look at it. Dew claw injuries are really painful. The vet may give you some antibiotics to help it heal up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would have the vet check it. Our puppy Layla actually ripped her dew claw when she was around 12 weeks old (she biffed her jump on to the deck) and it looked red also. She limped a little after she initially hurt herself but after that she didn't show any effects. I would get it checked just in case.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would have the vet look at it just to be on the safe side. Especially if she is licking at it, it means it is bothering her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else, I would call the vet and ask. Knowing me I would had put some neosporin on it to see if the redness went away after a day or two if the vet could not see him right away, on the other hand he would probably lick it off and thats not good.LOL. Call vet and let us know what you find out in case it ever happens to us. Hope your baby is not in pain:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
She is only minimally licking it and mainly only when I try to look at it and draw her attention to it.....like when I sprayed the Gentamicin on the other day.

I actually thought about the neosporin, but she is exactly as you described - she licks it off. So I knew if I did this that I would have to bandage it and then get out her kevlar boots to keep her from messing with it....hehe

I left a msg for the vet to call me so I will let you know what they say...was hoping to hear back by now, but Fridays are sometimes busy there. In speaking to the receptionist she said I may need to bring her in as there may be something in it irritating it. Unless the vet calls and tells me otherwise, I will be taking her in tomorrow AM for a vet check.

I sure don't want her to get an infection - she is my baby.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE -

We went to the vet today and Belle has a "sprained dew claw". Unfortunately, not much can be done about it besides to let it heal. I am pleased that it does not seem to be bothering Belle - she is still running around like my little maniac.

Vet recommended we up the Prednisolone that Belle is already on for her IBD from the 10mg every other day she is taking to 10mg everyday for 3-5 days.

So basically - I paid $30 today for peace of mind and it was worth every penny.

Thanks for all the advise and wanted to post this update in case anyone else runs into a sprained dew claw in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts