Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

^^^^ Basically, when I train my dog to look up at my face, I kinda want it to be the same kind of "maybe Maybe MAYBE!!!!" excitement that dogs have about the magic windows at drivethroughs.

They don't always get treats from the people in the windows - but they are conditioned to get all excitement and literally VIBRATING from the possibility that the magic window will give them timbits or whip cream or dog biscuits. There's no such thing as distractions in the car to get the dog's focus off the magic window.
I would LOVE that!! Could this be a maturity thing still? He's still such a puppy in so many ways, I just forget that he's 6 months old because he's so big. He doesn't have the insane love of learning that I'm used to, but I find he's very biddable and clever, I just need to find a way to make training more fun for him.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
You said a handler told you to wait a couple of more months because he looks so much like a puppy. News flash!......he IS a puppy! That's why they call them Puppy Classes at the show. In your video he pretty much went with the program. He knew exactly where you were at all times. He stopped in front of the judge in a nice free stack and gave her eye contact. IMHO he's ready for six to nine. I'd take him in and see what happens. That way he'll experience the total show scene, and you'll know what you need to concentrate on to perfect your and his performance. Most judges (there's always a stinker in the bunch) are very forgiving of puppy antics. Don't worry too much about mistakes. He might surprise you. Think about it. Ask your instructor what she thinks.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The groundwork of attention can be taught with food. Active attention in life and in the ring can develop from there. In dog training and obedience there are different ways to achieve the same end goal. I started this dog with food. We were successful in the obedience ring. Shes been gone a long time. What I wouldn’t give to have us look at each other like this once more. It’s really important to find ways to be interesting to our dogs. You have to give attention to get it back. It’s a two way street.
1A629153-A254-4399-B313-80A8E6DA8BF6.jpeg

21 - 23 of 23 Posts