Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
The problem with all the suggestions that we are tossing out (mine included) is that the vets have probably thought of them, too. If the Rimadyl, gabapentin, etc., had no effect, it's probably not a pinched nerve.

I had a standard poodle that had focal seizures. They don't present like the more generalized type. My poodle didn't do the classic whole-body twitching. Focal seizures affect only part of the brain. He could tell one was coming and would come stand next to me looking worried. He would briefly lose control on his hind limbs and bladder but was aware of his surroundings throughout the seizures. However, your dog doesn't even present like a focal seizure, since he doesn't seem to lose control of any of his limbs. Also, focal seizures are more common in some breeds (poodles included) than others. I don't know about goldens. If the vet thinks it is a realistic possibility, you could try the phenobarb for a couple of months, but I wouldn't hold out much hope that it would help.

Ceegee's suggestion of a cardiac issue is something to think about. I can imagine some kind of sporadic arrhythmia that might be hard to detect unless he's having an episode. Have you tried a Holter monitor?

Since it has happened on walks, it makes some household environmental cause unlikely (fluorescent lights, ultrasonic humidifiers, etc.).

Sounds like you've already spent a fortune on diagnostics. If you ever figure out what's happened, give us an update.

Reactions: nolefan

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
oooh... Holter is a great idea-
OP, if you could touch base w any Dobe people, they often own the Holters and can rent them to others, and they know the cardios who read them via phone line.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not an expert but to me this looks like some type of seizure or a dementia episode. Did the MRI show something? Did you MRI the brain or the spine or both? I don't think this is food related, I don't understand why some vets concentrated on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not an expert but to me this looks like some type of seizure or a dementia episode. Did the MRI show something? Did you MRI the brain or the spine or both? I don't think this is food related, I don't understand why some vets concentrated on that.
The MRI of his lower back did not show anything at all. Every test, every examination, it's always all clear. It started happening again randomly this morning.

Dog was perfectly well last night, went to sleep, woke up again this morning, we went for a brief walk (no signs of injury or sickness) got back, he was resting for a few moments and I noticed a minor jolt type behaviour but didn't think anything of it. Fed him at the usual time and 30 minutes later they were back again happening every 15-20 minute. Just the usual sitting down, walking or resting, then immediately starts pacing violently with his head really low to the floor.

I am so exhausted dealing with this. It has only been 36 days. Royal Canin Gastroinestional has made no difference at all and even if I treat him with antepesin and omeprazol like I have done today, it still continues.

We have reached out to so many different vets, forums, even reddit, but no one knows what it is. I have already spent a small fortune trying to narrow things down but the list is endless and it just isn't practical. Struggling to know what to do now..

21 - 24 of 24 Posts