Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help/advice/guidance/words of encouragement, I will take anything!!

I got my first puppy almost two weeks ago (she is a day short of being 10 weeks). I went thru a breeder and one main concern was crate training. I live in an open loft in an apartment complex and things echo in these thin walls. The breeder put my pup in a crate with a few of her siblings for a few nights and then on her own for a few nights. The first night we had her she whined a little but did well. this was for the first few nights. Then it got worse, she hated being in it, barked, panted and worked herself up into a frenzy. We found out she had coccidia and round worm. Thought that was probably one of the reasons she was so agitated. Her meds are done and she is still acting this way. We give her a frozen cow hoof with peanut butter and I think the problem is that when we put her in the crate she is tired, we give her this treat and it amps her up. Last night we didnt give it to her and she just whined a little and slept so much I wondered if something was wrong. Is this normal? Is there a reason her crate training (is it still training after 2 week?) is good some nights and terrible the other nights??

Next, her biting. i get it, puppies bite. She is vicious!! Is this normal?! It hurts so much. i try to redirect her but it's like she gets in this mode where all she wants to do is attack my pants, or feet or whatever she can sink her teeth into.

Also, her barking. The advice the breeder gave me is when she barks, grab her snout (not hard) and say no bite. We do, but tonight she would bark and I would grab her snout and say no bark. She turned it into a game. She would bark then run somewhere where I couldn't get to her. Very playfully, not out of fear or anything. She definitely was making it a game.

I love her so much but I am so exhausted and I have no idea if any of this stuff is normal or not. I thought goldens were a calmer breed, she has the energy equivalent to a classroom of kindergartners on sugar. I have a 11 year old cat who is afraid to meet her because she is so full of energy. they really need to meet (they have seen each other) before the pup gets bigger and scares the cat. Someone at the pet store recommended these calming collars that are supposed to mimic the mothers pheromones. Is that a good or bad idea?

I also have never had a puppy before so I had no idea of what to expect or anything to compare it to. Everyone always told me that their puppies never barked, never had a hard time in a crate, basically had perfect puppies.

Please, if anyone has ever had any of the issues I am having please let me know what worked for you! I am really concerned about the crate training, I do not understand why some nights are good and others are so bad we do not get any sleep. Thanks for reading the long post, I just really need advice and to hear if others have had similar experiences.

·
Registered
Dory, 5-years old
2,394 Posts
Hi!

At 10 weeks old, your puppy is still very much baby like. I hate comparing dogs to humans, but they're not quite consistent. You add in the fact that she was ill to begin with and you've basically started over. Have you tried covering the crate so she can't see you? Are you putting her to bed the same time every night. Routines worked wonders for us in the beginning. Dory wasn't easy to train at all as she also had a rough start. She still barks if she wants attention, or food, or to go out, or to go in. She is significantly more vocal than our previous golden. We do not give into the barks unless it is something important(I.e., potty break or wanting inside). We've worked with her on Speak- and quiet. She has mastered both. So, tonight when she decided at bedtime that she wanted the popcorn my hubby was cooking in the kitchen she'd vocally let us know- I said, "No, quiet" and she stopped. This took WEEKS to perfect and she is a lot older than your sweet pup(she will be 6 months at the end of the month). The biting is 100% normal. There is thread after thread after thread about it. Look up "land shark" and you'll hit a treasure trove of all sorts of the same complaints. Again- consistency and time and she will outgrow it. We replaced our body parts with toys, flat out ignored, and utilized a break for her when she was insanely wild. She can be told "No bite" and will reduce her mouthy play to a nibble instead of a painful bite. Puppies are EXHAUSTING .But, with time and love and positive reinforcement they learn. Their canvas is empty and it is our job to mold them into being well mannered adult dogs. I promise- the sleepless nights go away, the barking ceases, and you're left with your very best friend. Savor every moment.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like you have a normal puppy. Where is her crate? Yes the biting is normal. It usually don't get better until about four or five months? Stop with the holding her snout. When she bites shove a toy in her mouth and redirect it. You can also take a few minutes and do a short training session. Teaching sit, lay down, leave it ect. Also maybe get some baby gates or a XPEN and when you get frustrated and she bites put her behind the gates or in a XPEN. If her crate is not in your bedroom at night you may want to move it in there at night. And when your home during the day use the XPEN or baby gate. Look into a puppy class also. You may have to wait until she is fully vaccinated.

·
Premium Member
18,641 Posts
Congratulations you have a 100% perfectly normal Golden Retriever puppy. Also keep in mind she is a tiny baby. She's been taken from her littermates and now she is all alone, so of course she cries and wants to be with you. Try putting her crate next to your bed and put your hand in it to pet her when she cries. She doesn't want to be all alone. Two weeks is not even close to being long enough for her to be "crate trained". You will need lots of patience. Some days will be better than others.

They are land sharks as puppies, with razor teeth, and again it's 100% normal for them to bite. They play, explore, and learn with their mouths. Just keep putting toys in her mouth and encouraging her to chew on them, praise her when she takes the toy.

ADULT Golden Retrievers, 4 years old and older, are calmer dogs. Puppies, and up to 3 to 4 years old, they are active, energetic, athletic dogs that need outlets for their energy. Even over 4 years old they are still energetic, and need regular exercise.

You have a long road ahead to her being a calm, easy dog. But you really do have a totally normal Golden Retriever puppy.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I need help/advice/guidance/words of encouragement, I will take anything!!

I got my first puppy almost two weeks ago (she is a day short of being 10 weeks). I went thru a breeder and one main concern was crate training. I live in an open loft in an apartment complex and things echo in these thin walls. The breeder put my pup in a crate with a few of her siblings for a few nights and then on her own for a few nights. The first night we had her she whined a little but did well. this was for the first few nights. Then it got worse, she hated being in it, barked, panted and worked herself up into a frenzy. We found out she had coccidia and round worm. Thought that was probably one of the reasons she was so agitated. Her meds are done and she is still acting this way. We give her a frozen cow hoof with peanut butter and I think the problem is that when we put her in the crate she is tired, we give her this treat and it amps her up. Last night we didnt give it to her and she just whined a little and slept so much I wondered if something was wrong. Is this normal? Is there a reason her crate training (is it still training after 2 week?) is good some nights and terrible the other nights??

Next, her biting. i get it, puppies bite. She is vicious!! Is this normal?! It hurts so much. i try to redirect her but it's like she gets in this mode where all she wants to do is attack my pants, or feet or whatever she can sink her teeth into.

Also, her barking. The advice the breeder gave me is when she barks, grab her snout (not hard) and say no bite. We do, but tonight she would bark and I would grab her snout and say no bark. She turned it into a game. She would bark then run somewhere where I couldn't get to her. Very playfully, not out of fear or anything. She definitely was making it a game.

I love her so much but I am so exhausted and I have no idea if any of this stuff is normal or not. I thought goldens were a calmer breed, she has the energy equivalent to a classroom of kindergartners on sugar. I have a 11 year old cat who is afraid to meet her because she is so full of energy. they really need to meet (they have seen each other) before the pup gets bigger and scares the cat. Someone at the pet store recommended these calming collars that are supposed to mimic the mothers pheromones. Is that a good or bad idea?

I also have never had a puppy before so I had no idea of what to expect or anything to compare it to. Everyone always told me that their puppies never barked, never had a hard time in a crate, basically had perfect puppies.

Please, if anyone has ever had any of the issues I am having please let me know what worked for you! I am really concerned about the crate training, I do not understand why some nights are good and others are so bad we do not get any sleep. Thanks for reading the long post, I just really need advice and to hear if others have had similar experiences.
1. I live in a loft style studio apartment as well, and I hear my dog's every move when she's in her crate, to say nothing of her barks. You are definitely still in the crate training phase. Crate training takes time, and some dogs adjust more quickly than others. Your pup sounds totally normal. Her tolerance of the crate might be lessened overall by the fact that she was sick when she first was crate trained. My first dog was fine after a few days in her crate, and Piper, my current puppy, HATED her crate for weeks. She barked for what felt like forever. It definitely takes time, and you are still well within the crate training phase. It can several weeks to a month for them to get it. I personally didn't give my dog edible chew toys like stuffed kongs or bones at night because she would chew them and THEN start barking, however do now when I leave during the day. However, if you have noticed that giving her something like that at night amps her up, then I would probably hold off and see how she does without it.

2. Yeah, puppies bite, and your dog is totally entering into landshark mode. It is totally painful, I had scratches and lost clothes along the way. Dogs explore with their mouths, goldens are especially bitey sometimes, and it is just so much fun! Redirect, redirect, and redirect. With my last dog, her favorite thing to do was attack me on walks outside, so I started carrying a mini tennis ball to give to her to carry. That and a combination of "becoming a tree", stopping moving, and ignoring her. This too shall pass.

3. I find ignoring bad behaviors like barking, and reinforcing the good ones has a better effect than grabbing a snout and saying 'no.' Your pup might turn the snout grabbing into a big game, or one day decide they don't like their snout being grabbed. With my dogs, I would say "eh eh" (I like it better than "no" as a training word personally), and then stop whatever I was doing, even sometimes completely turn away from the puppy. They might bark more at first to get your attention(they probably will), but they will learn that the quickest way to get you to continue to play with them is to stop barking.

4. In regards to the cat...I don't own cats, and maybe other people on this forum can speak more to how to properly do this but I think the safest and best thing is for your dog and cat to just get used to seeing each other (or at least, for your cat to just get used to sharing a space with the puppy). I wouldn't force them to interact or be friends or play. Your cat is probably giving your puppy a wide berth because your puppy is acting like a puppy, I think the cat is allowed that right. My friend has a lab puppy and her cat and dog didn't actually sit next to each for a couple of months...the cat was not interested. Their puppy has calmed down some, and the cat is now taking more of an interest.

5. Puppies are energizer bunnies when they are awake. Everything you are describing sounds like totally normal puppy behavior. I personally think raising a puppy is exhausting in the early stages. Its also much easier once your dog is out of the puppy stage to forget all the exhausting aspects and only remember how adorable they were, because lets face it, puppies are awesome and grow into our greatest companions and best friends. We all to easily forget the sleepless nights and shark teeth scratches. I've really only heard of calming collars being used for very anxious dogs, or dogs with separation anxiety or fearfulness, and haven't ever used one myself. Are you planning on taking your puppy to puppy kindergarten and/or obedience classes? They can be immensely helpful! You may want to wait until your puppy gets all their shots to start going, but you could certainly touch base with a trainer and meet with them one-on-one. I also really like the book, The Art of Raising a Puppy.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things! It's overwhelming in the beginning but very rewarding. Take lots of pictures, and share some with us if you can :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts