Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ellie&Daisy
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just started letting Daisy off the lead, and she's normally such a good girl, normally only ventures about 10 feet away from me. But over the like, past day or two, we get avout 3/4 of the way through the walk and she just runs off? She runs straight back home, the walks arent long, only about 15 minutes, but still, she runs and I'm nervous that she may get off track. Would it be best to get her back on a lead? Or when she runs, I read somewhere that I should run in the opposite direction? Whats the best thing to do?:confused:

·
Mum to Alfie and Harry!
1,654 Posts
Ah yes! My boy seems to hate walks and longs to get bk home! The first time he did it he ran into the road! I was terrified! Thankfully there were no cars but there so easily could have been. :( I tried hiding and walking in the other direction but he didnt care. I have him on leash on all walks unless we're in a field or park in which case I put the leash bk on him just before we start heading bk. Hopefully someone else can give us both some advice..........;)

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Cosmo pulls all the way home! As soon as we head back and he knows he's going home he's just desperate to get home. It's very annoying. I hope he'll grow out of it cause right now it's only making it longer because when he pulls a lot we turn around go the other way.

·
Ellie&Daisy
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are exactly like my story! :p She's doing my head in! :p But I love her lots haha. My dad chased her all the way home again, but we have been training her to sit before we cross the road, its not a busy one at all only a side street, but he caught her as she was sat down waiting for us by the road :) Has anyone got any advice at all? xxx

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
My own personal feeling is that she should not be off-leash on a regular walk on the street. Even with the best trained dog to ever walk the earth, too many things can go wrong and in a blink of an eye something serious can happen to your dog. The only time I have my dogs off leash are when we are in an open field or a secure area where I know they can't run into traffic, etc. You don't mention how old she is, but I would say you still need to work on walking on a leash, and having a 100% recall if she is off leash. If she is young, she will eventually grow to enjoy her walks. Right now, just try and make them as positive as you can.

·
a new day everyday
411 Posts
Eric pretty much does the same too. He was really bad 2 to 3 weeks ago...but I think he's gradually starting to get used to it. I would take him for a walk even for just 10 minutes. 2-3 minutes after we go out he's fine, but those first few minutes it's a torture. he wants to go back...and I have to drag him but as soon as he starts walking normally, I treat him. ( that's what our puppy class trainer told us)

At the end of the walk, he ll realize we're back home and he ll start drag again.. If i continue without going back home he ll be even worse than how he was when we first got out.

But this is what I've been doing lately and he has started to get the hang of it....

He's not taking me home. I am taking him home when I want. And it seems to do the trick. Remember to treat them the moment they stop dragging and walk next to you. They ll soon realize that there's nothing wrong going out of the house. And then one day they ll be longing to go out even for just 5 minutes.

·
Mum to Alfie and Harry!
1,654 Posts
Eric pretty much does the same too. He was really bad 2 to 3 weeks ago...but I think he's gradually starting to get used to it. I would take him for a walk even for just 10 minutes. 2-3 minutes after we go out he's fine, but those first few minutes it's a torture. he wants to go back...and I have to drag him but as soon as he starts walking normally, I treat him. ( that's what our puppy class trainer told us)

At the end of the walk, he ll realize we're back home and he ll start drag again.. If i continue without going back home he ll be even worse than how he was when we first got out.

But this is what I've been doing lately and he has started to get the hang of it....

He's not taking me home. I am taking him home when I want. And it seems to do the trick. Remember to treat them the moment they stop dragging and walk next to you. They ll soon realize that there's nothing wrong going out of the house. And then one day they ll be longing to go out even for just 5 minutes.
That sounds just like Alfie too! I'm glad its a normal thing!!!! We've been driving to a lake or park near us and letting him off leash for 15 mins so he can get the excercise and a bit of leash training away from the house. It's nicer for both of us!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I would keep her on a lead seeing that shes running back everytime. and/or Carry some treats with you and everytime she runs off bring her back with a treat. Joey is on lead all the time when we leave the house and he sticks right beside me. He has yet to be off leash when walking. He would run up to everyone, which soemtimes isnt always great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts