Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,:wavey: my new partner has a beautiful goldie , but has not groomed regularly,how short can i get him cut " to start again", please dont shout at me i'm just looking for help:confused:

·
16,000 Posts
Unless the dog is severely matted, as to the skin or somthing, there is no reason that he should be "cut". A thorough brushing, and a good bath, then trimming the feet, ears, and tail neatly is all that is required for a Golden.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
As Pointgold mentioned, unless there are severe matts, a good bath and lots of brushing works wonders. If there are tangles, use some cream rinse to help loosen them up. You can also use small scissors to cut out some of the more troublesome matts. I know many people use the Furminator, but they are expensive, and I find sturdy brushes such as a shedding rake and a slicker brush work well for me. I am sure he will amazing when you are done.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Unless the dog had some kind of skin condition or the mats were most of the coat, I'd use a mat ripper on the worst mats and groom the rest of the dog out with a rake, a shedding blade, and a slicker.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Just make sure you comb him out from head to toe BEFORE you bath, otherwise any matts will be a lot worse.

Lana

1 - 9 of 9 Posts